•Efficient

Why Pick DT880
•Replaceable Parts
•Cheaper

Why Pick ATH AD900X
•I think the pads are replaceable
•Efficient
•Cheapest

If I get the dt880, I'll get the magni amp.

Anyway, I don't care about the sound sig, as long as the bass is at least neutral and it can reach down to 50hz.

Thanks!

Jul 1, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #3 of 29
Quote:
I'm stuck between these two.

Why pick X1:
•Bigger ss (soundstage)
•More bass
•Look better
•Efficient

Why Pick DT880
•Replaceable Parts
•Cheaper

Why Pick ATH AD900X
•I think the pads are replaceable
•Efficient
•Cheapest

If I get the dt880, I'll get the magni amp.

Anyway, I don't care about the sound sig, as long as the bass is at least neutral and it can reach down to 50hz.

Thanks!

AD900x is full of win. Biggest sound stage of the 3, enchanting breathyness to female vocals... amazing with strings, and a decent bass section. HOWEVER what are you gonna listen to?

Jul 1, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #4 of 29
Wide range of genres, but barely any female vocals. Which of these has the fastest drivers, and can play layered music very well? Closed cans just collapse when I play something very fast with a bunch of layers.

Jul 1, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #5 of 29
Ive only head the 880 and 900x... so I can't comment on the x1 BUT the dt880 is the faster of the 2, also closer to neutral to my ears. Though you lose the giant sound stage. The 900x is my fav for female vocals and strings so in your case the 880 is more fitting.

Jul 1, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #6 of 29
Hmm thanks. I would live the giant soundstage but at the lost of speed... I think Ill get the dt880, which should have a large soundstage already. Unless anyone discourages me to do so. Thanks.

Jul 1, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #7 of 29
they have a a wide-ish stage with good depth, the ad900s are gigantic in terms of width with slightly less depth. The 880's are a better all around can, just because they are flatter and more focused.

Jul 2, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #8 of 29
Quote:
Hmm thanks. I would live the giant sound stage but at the lost of speed... I think Ill get the dt880, which should have a large sound stage already. Unless anyone discourages me to do so. Thanks.

What source(s) are the headphones going to be plugged into?
As the AD900Xs are only 38-Ohm, they would work fine plugged straight into a portable audio player.
The DT880 really should only be used with a headphone amplifier (or plugged into a receiver).

Jul 2, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #9 of 29
Lol good point (sorry I was exhausted when I posted) the 880will need an amp, unless you get the 32ohm version.

Jul 2, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #10 of 29
Don't think I should get the dt880. I couldn't get a good seal from the dt770 with their huge circular pads so I suspect I'll have a similar exp. It seems the ad900x is my only option. Only thing else I would want must has good speed and layering. Couldn't care less about the sound sig.

HD598 is out (seem to be in a lower class)
Q701- wont have enough bass.

Thanks!

Nov 30, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #13 of 29
I have listened to the DT 880 Pro (250 Ohms) and the X1 today, and a bunch of others: DT 990 Pro, K 701, HD 558, 600 and 650. However, the Beyers and the K 701 were in one store, the Senns and also the K 701 in the other store. So the AKG was the reference point.

I have never had a chance to hear the ATH AD 900 (X) - would be an interesting comparison.

I liked the DT 880 and the X1 the most. I'd say the X1 is a refined version of the DT 990 with a bit better soundstage and even more bass, while the DT 880 is the refined version of the DT 990 with more detail and an incredible flat response.

The K 701 was a big disappointment for my ears. Many people like its flat response and wide soundstage, but a few notice plasticy resonances in the mids. Me too. Pretty much. Dealbreaker-like much. Also, the bass is too dry on these for my taste. And it's far more quiet than its 60 Ohms suggest.

The Sennheiser HD 598 has more bass than the K 701, but it has a similar dry sound to it. More mid-bass though. The mids have a slight resonance and lean forward in the upper region. It's not as plasticy sounding as the K 701, but still not too pleasant. The soundstage is better than on the AKG, maybe best of the bunch. The upper treble is a bit less sparkly. It's a very good headphone for its price range (around 170 €) but for a little more, you can get better cans (e.g. the X1 for 195 €, or even the DT 990 for 150 €). The K 701 is a better headphone in the same price range if you can get along with the mids.

The HD 600 and 650 are a different price range at 300+ €. During my listening session they were better than the AKG but not better than the Beyers and the X1. Less soundstage than all but lots of detail, even though they are warmer sounding. Slightly slow bass but very balanced.

All in all, I think I'll get the Beyer DT 880. It had by far the most natural frequency response, clear and flat mids, natural soundstage, perfect fit and finish etc. It's better than I think a K 701 or DT 990 Pro or HD 580 (the "cheap HD 600", used for less than 100 €) + headphone amp could get. The bass on the X1 was too much for my taste and in comparison to the DT 880, something in the X1's mids is missing. I personally don't bother the "Beyer peak" in the treble - I barely notice it. Some might disagree. I think the X1 has a perfect treble.

My ranking of today:
1) Beyerdynamic DT 880

2) Philips Fidelio X1
3) Sennheiser HD 600 (close)

4) Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro
5) Sennheiser HD 650 (close)

6) Sennheiser HD 598
7) AKG K 701 (close)

/edit: I think I won't get the Beyer DT 880 in 32 Ohms, but in 250 Ohms. I have read that it's loud enough for occasionally listening with a portable device at home. Mostly it will be driven on more powerful outputs. I don't have a headphone amp just yet - will see if I need one. The 250 Ohms version has the potential to improve with one and they sound more tight and clear in general.

Feb 25, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #14 of 29
  I have listened to the DT 880 Pro (250 Ohms) and the X1 today, and a bunch of others: DT 990 Pro, K 701, HD 558, 600 and 650. However, the Beyers and the K 701 were in one store, the Senns and also the K 701 in the other store. So the AKG was the reference point.

I have never had a chance to hear the ATH AD 900 (X) - would be an interesting comparison.

I liked the DT 880 and the X1 the most. I'd say the X1 is a refined version of the DT 990 with a bit better soundstage and even more bass, while the DT 880 is the refined version of the DT 990 with more detail and an incredible flat response.

The K 701 was a big disappointment for my ears. Many people like its flat response and wide soundstage, but a few notice plasticy resonances in the mids. Me too. Pretty much. Dealbreaker-like much. Also, the bass is too dry on these for my taste. And it's far more quiet than its 60 Ohms suggest.

The Sennheiser HD 598 has more bass than the K 701, but it has a similar dry sound to it. More mid-bass though. The mids have a slight resonance and lean forward in the upper region. It's not as plasticy sounding as the K 701, but still not too pleasant. The soundstage is better than on the AKG, maybe best of the bunch. The upper treble is a bit less sparkly. It's a very good headphone for its price range (around 170 €) but for a little more, you can get better cans (e.g. the X1 for 195 €, or even the DT 990 for 150 €). The K 701 is a better headphone in the same price range if you can get along with the mids.

The HD 600 and 650 are a different price range at 300+ €. During my listening session they were better than the AKG but not better than the Beyers and the X1. Less soundstage than all but lots of detail, even though they are warmer sounding. Slightly slow bass but very balanced.

All in all, I think I'll get the Beyer DT 880. It had by far the most natural frequency response, clear and flat mids, natural soundstage, perfect fit and finish etc. It's better than I think a K 701 or DT 990 Pro or HD 580 (the "cheap HD 600", used for less than 100 €) + headphone amp could get. The bass on the X1 was too much for my taste and in comparison to the DT 880, something in the X1's mids is missing. I personally don't bother the "Beyer peak" in the treble - I barely notice it. Some might disagree. I think the X1 has a perfect treble.

My ranking of today:
1) Beyerdynamic DT 880

2) Philips Fidelio X1
3) Sennheiser HD 600 (close)

4) Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro
5) Sennheiser HD 650 (close)

6) Sennheiser HD 598
7) AKG K 701 (close)

/edit: I think I won't get the Beyer DT 880 in 32 Ohms, but in 250 Ohms. I have read that it's loud enough for occasionally listening with a portable device at home. Mostly it will be driven on more powerful outputs. I don't have a headphone amp just yet - will see if I need one. The 250 Ohms version has the potential to improve with one and they sound more tight and clear in general.

Hate me for bumping but this thread just answered some Head-fi noobs thread in the DT880 forum :D

Feb 25, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #15 of 29
Hmm thanks. I would live the giant soundstage but at the lost of speed... I think Ill get the dt880, which should have a large soundstage already. Unless anyone discourages me to do so. Thanks.

The dt880s are really cheap right now on Amazon so if you're going to buy the 250ohm Pro version its $185. FYI I believe the 250 ohm Premiums sound a bit better though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back