DT880/250 vs Fidelio X1 vs ATH AD900X
Feb 25, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #17 of 29
The dt880s are really cheap right now on Amazon so if you're going to buy the 250ohm Pro version its $185. FYI I believe the 250 ohm Premiums sound a bit better though.

Less pressure on your head could be why. The clamp on the Pro version is a bit stronger

Feb 25, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #18 of 29
  Less pressure on your head could be why. The clamp on the Pro version is a bit stronger

Is there a small sound difference also, wahsmoh?  I haven't ever tried the Pro's I just have the Premiums.

Feb 26, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #19 of 29
If you guys want a more "fun" sound the X1 would be a better choice over the 880. 
To me the 880 sounds too neutral and a tad sibilant.
I ended up buying the X1 because to me it sound like the DT990, with a comparable amount of bass, but without the sibilance.

May 22, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #21 of 29
um...after listening to the Fidelio X1's, I came to a conclusion that they are very very similar to the Ath M50's.
[size=x-small](after buying another 3m cable) \i found that the headphones Demand quality musi-classical, and OR good quality DANCE, hip hop, R&B, and [/size]DEFINITELY[size=x-small] good quality dubstep.[/size]

[size=x-small]One of the things that STUNNED me was that the word "bass" is not needed to describe the charecteristics of these headphones. because the bass is just a part of the overall AMAZING soundstage of these headphones.[/size]

[size=x-small]Over all I thought that they STILL have a Weak Vocal quality....(WITHOUT an [/size]equalizer[size=x-small])[/size]

1. The Bass is OUTSTANDING. 
2. You can pretty much hear EVERY instrument, EVEN in orchestra. 
3. (Im so so SAD) but the VOCALS are not too great,,---and I decided to use a SHORTER cable for Vocal music.
4. With an EQUALIZER these headphones ARE OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. somewhere along the way, I also realized that you dont need an efficient mobile device to get great sound, as you can use a Stereo player that will make the sound warmer, and vocals better treated.

May 23, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #22 of 29
If you guys want a more "fun" sound the X1 would be a better choice over the 880. 
To me the 880 sounds too neutral and a tad sibilant.
I ended up buying the X1 because to me it sound like the DT990, with a comparable amount of bass, but without the sibilance.

Agreed the 880s can be a bit boring... That's why i sold mine.

May 23, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #23 of 29
I am still new to all of this (four months) but...here are my two decent cents (and growing) that might be worth it to anyone else who might be looking at the same choices.

Just some extra detail...

I love the airy-ness of the audio that comes at an outdoor concert, which is why I went for open-backed headphones.  I love to hear very defined details on accoustic and electric guitars, but never too sharp or treble-y lest I want an ear-piercing experience.  I love smooth and precise vocals, and hearing every note and transition.  I love to hear a deep, smooth bass guitar (I usually don't like to hear the plucking).  I love the kick bass of the drums that makes a deep but strong impact when it hits, crisp whacks on the snare and shiny cymbal actions.  In short: nothing muddy, but nothing flat-EQ either (I am learning that I enjoy a "U"-shaped signature).

With that said, IMO, the ATH-AD900X...
...meets what I described above except the bass in general.  Without any amp or dac/amp, the lower end just falls into the background of many tracks I listen to.  Paired with Fiio E12 as an amp, the bass becomes punchy and I am sometimes fatigued by it.  Paired with the Fiio E17 as a dac/amp, I can adjust the treble and bass to my liking...but to get to my ideal spot, I shoot the treble up more.  Consequently, in some songs, I get a shrill treble-y SQ that makes me twitch a little.  However, the ATH-AD900X does give me a nice soundstage (or headstage?) and I can hear the finer details especially on acoustic tracks.  I believe that these are meant to sound as they are: helping the listener pick out and enjoy those finer details.

On the flipside, the Fidelio X1...
...will give me all that I want above except it's not as "live"-sounding...? (not sure how else to explain this).  Many describe it as a "FUN" set of headphones...I quite agree on both definitions of head-fi glossary (http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary) and your English dictionary.  Paired with the E12, I felt like things just got louder (what else would an amp do?).  Paired with the E17, everything came to life as if I was a few rows from the front of the stage.  The lows are great, the mids are there but nothing special (as many have reported), and the high ends were amazing.  I've seen many descriptions of the X1's as great listening HP's--I quite agree.  However, I have yet to see if the X1's can get to the finer details like the AD900X did.

The X1 is certainly looking like a great all-rounder for me, which is what I want right now.  If and when I decide to really jump into much finer details for listening, I'll surely be looking to buy a much more high-end HP as well as other equipment (sound cards, dedicated DACs, etc...the whole kaboodle).  My thought so far is that the AD900X is a great choice but only at the entry level.

Other details that I enjoy with the X1 over the AD900X:

1.   Velour vs soft cloth (or whatever the AD900X uses)
2.   Great design and choice of color (certainly looks like an expensive set of higher headphones)
3.   Feels quite sturdy (although I think there is a bit more weight to it, too)
4.   Unboxing it was AMAZING (someone described the AD900X as "anticlimactic")
5.   Very nice-looking cable...except it seems to be useless (many report it as high-resistance, about 2 ohms, which can cause the SQ to sound like crap?).

May 23, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #24 of 29
Your feel for music is both intriguing and plausible ( in my opinion.

I feel like its important to mention about the "crapy" cable that is so much Dissmissed by the buyers of the amazing Fidelio X1's.

Firstly- the cable will undoubtedly reduce the volume of your music and make it more SMOOTHER and 'warmer'.

Secondly, if you use this cable with a mobile phone or such,,, if you have a EQUALISER App, you should get VERY VERY good vocals and EVEN mid range While keeping all instruments in accordance.

Thirdly, I must share with you that, the volume of the music and OVERALL umph coming from the headphones will AUTOMATICALLY increase by using a Shorter cable, OR a Longer cable but with lower CONDUCTIVITY, so,... What I do is, for Classical music, I just use a LONGER THICKER cable, but for all other music I just use a short THIN 1.2 m cable. And the QUALITY will remain the same for both genres.

I hope this helps. I agree with all your statements. But felt like sharing this info.

May 24, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #25 of 29
Quote:
Your feel for music is both intriguing and plausible ( in my opinion.

I feel like its important to mention about the "crapy" cable that is so much Dissmissed by the buyers of the amazing Fidelio X1's.

Firstly- the cable will undoubtedly reduce the volume of your music and make it more SMOOTHER and 'warmer'.

Secondly, if you use this cable with a mobile phone or such,,, if you have a EQUALISER App, you should get VERY VERY good vocals and EVEN mid range While keeping all instruments in accordance.

Thirdly, I must share with you that, the volume of the music and OVERALL umph coming from the headphones will AUTOMATICALLY increase by using a Shorter cable, OR a Longer cable but with lower CONDUCTIVITY, so,... What I do is, for Classical music, I just use a LONGER THICKER cable, but for all other music I just use a short THIN 1.2 m cable. And the QUALITY will remain the same for both genres.

I hope this helps. I agree with all your statements. But felt like sharing this info.

I see.  I have to admit though that I have yet to actually try the included cable.  It looks really nice--although I haven't dug into why Philips would provide a 1/4" cable with a 3.5mm adapter.  I've only seen what others have described of it.  I had bought a mediabridge 4ft cable for the X1 due to all the comments i've seen, and was so in love with the feel and sound that I just forgot to try the Philips cable.  I certainly intend to investigate for myself once I get the chance (currently away from home for weekend vacation).

I also did come across some threads regarding the effect of longer vs shorter cables as well as the make-up of the cables themselves.  I found a thread that mentioned "Poison Cables"--$200 and comes from UK (yikes!).  While I was tempted to try, I thought I would hold back on that one.

Thanks for the info.  I will keep that in mind as I test the Philips cable myself.  :)

May 24, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #26 of 29
Agreed the 880s can be a bit boring... That's why i sold mine.

Honestly the best solution to a boring DT 880 or a sibiliant DT 990 is a Schiit Vali, in both cases the vali really warms up the two cans and cuts teh treble a smidge, I loved the Vali with my DT 880 600 ohm, it gave it a sub bass bump and a touch more mid body! 

May 25, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #27 of 29
Honestly the best solution to a boring DT 880 or a sibiliant DT 990 is a Schiit Vali, in both cases the vali really warms up the two cans and cuts teh treble a smidge, I loved the Vali with my DT 880 600 ohm, it gave it a sub bass bump and a touch more mid body! 

Yea that would have helped me hah! Look forward to meeting you at CAF, man

*added* I had too many headphones at that point anyway.

May 29, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #28 of 29

The Asgard 2 had the same effect on my DT880s but alas I still preferred other headphones of mine to it.

May 29, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #29 of 29
  The Asgard 2 had the same effect on my DT880s but alas I still preferred other headphones of mine to it.

well then imagine what the asgard 2 did on another level, tubes have a distinct sound from solid states. A warm solid state still won't sound quiete like a tube will 

how ever it's a matter of taste 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back