Dunu DK-3001 IEM - 4 driver, 1Dynamic + 3BA
Jul 9, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #33 of 543
You guys should try the mee double flange tips... just saying.

Anything double or triple hurts my ears, I literally have a sore spot at the moment from using double so I will not recommend them. There is a magical solution out there that everybody seems to love to bits, Mandarin tips, which I will be testing very soon! If they offer the perfect sound and comfort, my other reviews will be coming much faster as well!

Hopefully mine will arrive this week I am curious to hear them. First the Dita Audio Dream review.
Looking forward to your thoughts! I hope that you love them as much as I do!

Jul 11, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #34 of 543
Everyone comments are echoing my experience so far.

Beautifully smooth and detailed sound with that dynamic bass impact. Ergonomically things aren't so great. That sharp edge causes hot-spots and memory wire...well it's pretty good as far as memory wire goes but I just don't see the need for it. Sure you can change the cable but...MMCX scares me ever since the female connector on my TFZ B2M crapped out. I removed the cables on the 3001 for some photos and I was terrified that something would go wrong. Fortunately they went back in without any issues but I won't be changing the cable again at least until my review is finished. :grin:

Jul 11, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #35 of 543
Mine arrived today.... need to start listening

20170711_180354_Burst01.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #36 of 543
Mine arrived today.... need to start listening

This is a IEM that will surely place a smile on everyone's faces!

About comfort, I have had zero problems using spinfits and I'll test it with Mandarins as well, which I hope will make things even better!

The connectors are quite rigid, but that goes both ways, they don't disconnect easily, best is to leave them connected.

Jul 11, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #37 of 543
Initial impressions from an on and off evening of listening:

They have a very nice tone and deliver an enjoyable listening experience. The DD bass experience is alive and kicking. I have not heard any shrill treble, thank God as I am not a big fan of treble unless it is done well as in the case of Zeus. I have tested the usual music test tracks and all sounded detailed.

Well built, solid. Prefer a 2-pin connection. Prefer no memory wire but for a memory wire this is not the worst I have used. Angle and nozzle length affect seal. I echo everyone's sentiments regarding the "ridge" and sharp edges on the shell, really the biggest gripe in my short time with them.

Eartips... I always reach for Spiral Dots however after leaving the tips in my ear twice I gave up on them. The large SpinFit are the most comfortable, so far. They provide enough clearance the shell isn't digging into your ear. I will try my favorite narrow bore tips tomorrow, Final Audio.

Spent the night using the Kann as the source as it appears the DK_3001 enjoys power. Will try Opus #2 tomorrow.

Jul 14, 2017 at 7:10 AM Post #38 of 543
I must say I certainly didn't expect this good of sound out of these. This is one of the most pleasant surprises I've had in a while regarding an IEM, not even taking in consideration the price to performance ratio. Maybe Brooko can chime in but if my memory serves me these would best the most overall similar package, the Fidue Sirius A91.

Jul 14, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #39 of 543
Yep - if you take value into account. From my review:

Fidue A91 Sirius (~USD 900) vs Dunu DK-3001 (~USD 470-500)
9933756_l.jpg
9933723_l.png

Fidue A91 Sirius and Dunu DK-3001 Frequency comparisons

Overall build quality is excellent on both, and neither skimp on materials. I would say that the overall finish on the Sirius is perhaps a notch up though. Accessories are on par – both have very good packages. The DK-3001 of course includes 2 cables (balanced and SE) where the Sirius accomplishes this with the adaptors. Dunu DK-3001 With fit and comfort – I have to give this to the Sirius. The smooth and rounded internal faces ultimately trump the DK-3001's slight internal ridges.

Sonically there are some similarities. Both are well balanced earphones in their own way – the DK-3001 having the more traditional shallow mid-bass hump, moderate dip in lower mid-range, and more extension through the lower and upper treble. Both have an upper mid-range emphasis. Where the DK-3001 shines is in its overall signature balance and extension throughout the frequency range. The Sirius accomplishes the same goals through different methods – a little less bass which allows the mid-range and lower treble to be well focussed without needing any further emphasis. I love both earphones for their signatures, and it is actually quite difficult for me to pick a preference on sonics alone. For my own personal preferences I've always appreciated a slightly cleaner and cooler sound - and for me personally the Sirius delivers this slightly better, but I could definitely see opinions being divided.

There is a big difference in overall cost between the two. If the cost wasn't a factor I'd lean towards the Sirius as a personal preference – but both are truly excellent sounding monitors, and if bang for your buck is a factor then the DK-3001 more than holds its own.

I just wish they'd put the DK-3001 into a better more ergonomic shell. Its the one let-down which could have had a lot of improvement. Sonically though - esp for the price - DK-3001 punches way above its cost.

Jul 14, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #40 of 543
Yep - if you take value into account. From my review:

I just wish they'd put the DK-3001 into a better more ergonomic shell. Its the one let-down which could have had a lot of improvement. Sonically though - esp for the price - DK-3001 punches way above its cost.
Me too, the "ridge" is very uncomfortable. Sonically, it is only me remembering or at least trying to remember the A91. I do think Dunu is heading in the right direction. Even the size of the shell is great just the ergonomics arrgh! I use tips that only allow the shell minimum contact with my skin.

Jul 14, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #41 of 543
Me too, the "ridge" is very uncomfortable. Sonically, it is only me remembering or at least trying to remember the A91. I do think Dunu is heading in the right direction. Even the size of the shell is great just the ergonomics arrgh! I use tips that only allow the shell minimum contact with my skin.

the next step in achieving an even better sound is to bring more treble to the mix!

Jul 14, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #43 of 543
Jul 14, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #44 of 543
Ugh! No more treble.

Personally I feel the treble is spot on.

I was thinking the same. I feel it's pretty spot on where it is.

Everyone has their own tastes after all, so no worries about it! :darthsmile:

I do need more treble to feel happy, I will probably EQ them and add a bit more treble to satisfy my treble-hunger, but even so, the detail is all there and they are good at what they do.

Jul 14, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #45 of 543
Any more treble would ruin their balance IMO George. It already has great extension.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back