"Ear Kegs" - MusicMaker Phantom III / Shockwave III appreciation & impressions
Jul 24, 2019 at 6:33 AM Post #1,756 of 1,906
I have owned the SWIII fixed cable for many years and everything is still perfect. The cable has been slightly green for a while but there is no loss of quality. The fixed cable version is the original iteration. With later versions, i think maybe the mmcx version they actually slightly re tuned it - hence some complaints with sibilance...something which is impossible on my set!
It is by far the best IEM to come out of china - TOTL tuning - just magical
It should be noted though that it NEEDS 400+ hours to reach its best

I have previously owned the 9 tails - very good iem but not in the same league as SWIII

oh boy, here goes my wallet...btw can you post a pic of your sw iii cables? that is the only thing that bugs me out, they should've gone for a black cable to cover those oxidation, but anyways ill still be buying the sw iii, maybe a few weeks after now, still want to enjoy my 9way for a bit more.

Jul 24, 2019 at 7:25 AM Post #1,757 of 1,906
oh boy, here goes my wallet...btw can you post a pic of your sw iii cables? that is the only thing that bugs me out, they should've gone for a black cable to cover those oxidation, but anyways ill still be buying the sw iii, maybe a few weeks after now, still want to enjoy my 9way for a bit more.
Maybe you can see a slight green tinge? As i say though the sound is phenomenal - I just had a quick listen with a VERY good jazz vinyl rip through a VERY good pre-amp and found myself shouting *** off and laughing at how good the sound was - Was crazy :D
Its a little risky in that the latest models have been re-tuned slightly. giving them a tad more treble but even so - WHAT an IEM!

Looking at the photo - it looks like there is an actual pattern there? I cannot see any green in daylight though - the camera seems to have exaggerated what is there !?
(Notice my cunningly added red spot to help know which is the right ear side!)

unnamed.jpg

Jul 24, 2019 at 7:14 PM Post #1,758 of 1,906
Maybe you can see a slight green tinge? As i say though the sound is phenomenal - I just had a quick listen with a VERY good jazz vinyl rip through a VERY good pre-amp and found myself shouting **** off and laughing at how good the sound was - Was crazy :D
Its a little risky in that the latest models have been re-tuned slightly. giving them a tad more treble but even so - WHAT an IEM!

Looking at the photo - it looks like there is an actual pattern there? I cannot see any green in daylight though - the camera seems to have exaggerated what is there !?
(Notice my cunningly added red spot to help know which is the right ear side!)

Thanks, looks like the cable is similar to the stock cable of my Unicorns, I didn't personally like because its too thin but I'll get over it. btw one last thing, will my lg g7 power the sw iii properly? or should i need an amp?

Jul 24, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #1,759 of 1,906
ah nice, one thing that I decided to go to 9way instead is because of those treble peaks that people say on the mmcx version, didnt want to buy the fix cable version because that cable will oxidize or get broken after time, btw ive also read that the lows on the mmcx version is more elevated and muddy is that true?

edit: Toneking once updated their taobao page on the sw iii and added a new freq response for the mmcx version, looks more like a v-shape but they removed it, I should've screenshot it. :frowning2:
It’s basshead by all means but super soundstage at the same time. Not muddy no

Jul 24, 2019 at 8:45 PM Post #1,760 of 1,906
It’s basshead by all means but super soundstage at the same time. Not muddy no

oh great, now im torn between the two, I really dont wanna go fix cable due to personal preferences I just dont like those cables they've put in it, but the mmcx ver; if i can remember the updated taobao page of sw iii, it showed a v-shape freq. response for the mmcx that they quickly removed after awhile. since you have both versions, the mmcx does really have a different tuning, like all across the spectrum?

Urgghh why did Toneking have to do this :xf_mad:

Jul 24, 2019 at 9:17 PM Post #1,761 of 1,906
Larry,

I have the mmcx version and I didn't experience any sibilance being complained of by others. I think its better using balanced cables as there is a noticeable improvement especially in the bass. It goes deeper. Just simply amazing As my prior posts here states, I have tested it side by side with the CA's and other legendary iems. Nothing compares to its holographic presentation, absolute monster of bass and just enough sparkle to satisfy. It's one of a kind.

Jul 24, 2019 at 9:23 PM Post #1,762 of 1,906
Larry,

I have the mmcx version and I didn't experience any sibilance being complained of by others. I think its better using balanced cables as there is a noticeable improvement especially in the bass. It goes deeper. Just simply amazing As my prior posts here states, I have tested it side by side with the CA's and other legendary iems. Nothing compares to its holographic presentation, absolute monster of bass and just enough sparkle to satisfy. It's one of a kind.

May I know the store did you bought your sw iii? Im from the Ph also so. maybe the ver. you have is a 3rd iteration(?), does your unit really doesn't have the treble peaks even after pre-burn in? Im also running it only on my g7 so balance cables isnt on my options yet.

planning on buying mine here: https://shopee.ph/MrZ-Shock-Wave-III-5-Units-4-BA-DD-In-Ear-Earphone-DA-Hybrid-i.59464278.1607380704

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2019 at 10:15 PM Post #1,763 of 1,906
May I know the store did you bought your sw iii? Im from the Ph also so. maybe the ver. you have is a 3rd iteration(?), does your unit really doesn't have the treble peaks even after pre-burn in? Im also running it only on my g7 so balance cables isnt on my options yet.

planning on buying mine here: https://shopee.ph/MrZ-Shock-Wave-III-5-Units-4-BA-DD-In-Ear-Earphone-DA-Hybrid-i.59464278.1607380704

Larry,

None of that treble peaks or anything. If you're in the Metro, I'm willing to meet up with you so that you may try it.
I ordered it through one of the local resellers. It's cheaper. He's from HEEP and FAC. I'm sure you're a member.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2019 at 10:31 PM Post #1,764 of 1,906
Larry,

None of that treble peaks or anything. If you're in the Metro, I'm willing to meet up with you so that you may try it.
I ordered it through one of the local resellers. It's cheaper. He's from HEEP and FAC. I'm sure you're a member.

Unfortunately I live in Davao currently in Lanao right now impossible for meetups :frowning2: , And you're right, also a member of HEEP but not in FAC, btw Looking up your profile i see you also got an m50x and an he400i which I believe to be sibilant or harsh as most people say compared to them, is the mmcx ver. of sw iii more tamed? cause im not good at handling treble harshness.

btw checked the taobao page again and they deleted the older reviews leaving only 2019 reviews, hmmm, I dont know why they keep doing that.

May I also know the contact page of that local reseller your talking about if any? will try to talk to them.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2019 at 11:42 PM Post #1,766 of 1,906
Unfortunately I live in Davao currently in Lanao right now impossible for meetups :frowning2: , And you're right, also a member of HEEP but not in FAC, btw Looking up your profile i see you also got an m50x and an he400i which I believe to be sibilant or harsh as most people say compared to them, is the mmcx ver. of sw iii more tamed? cause im not good at handling treble harshness.

btw checked the taobao page again and they deleted the older reviews leaving only 2019 reviews, hmmm, I dont know why they keep doing that.

May I also know the contact page of that local reseller your talking about if any? will try to talk to them.

I think M50X is not sibilant, If at all, its warm-sounding, but that's just maybe me hehe. The HE400i is a bit harsh but I EQ it heavily. I would say the SWIII registers lower than the M50X but not piercing as the HE400i.

His name is Rome Mercado. He's also of HEEP.

Buy now or you'll forever regret it hehehe.

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:44 PM Post #1,767 of 1,906
Jul 25, 2019 at 12:32 AM Post #1,768 of 1,906
I use foam tips and EQ it heavily. But stock tuning is just fine for me. I just want to bring out its best sound. But the foam tips is a must.

oof, bad news for me then, my ears cant handle memory foam tips, they're still too virgin lol, I even use the smallest tips of my 9way for a proper fit and stability.

I think my best option is to go for the fixed cable version, I'll just buy those cable protectors to cover em up when things turn green.

Jul 25, 2019 at 1:19 AM Post #1,769 of 1,906
Hi Larry. Please don't try the mod with the black tube removal. The treble become smoother, but just a little bit. You ruin your soundstage with that, because the tube is for the time-cohensiv of the highs and middletones. Use a EQ to turn down the frequences at 7-8 kHz. This is much better!

Jul 25, 2019 at 1:24 AM Post #1,770 of 1,906
Hi Larry. Please don't try the mod with the black tube removal. The treble become smoother, but just a little bit. You ruin your soundstage with that, because the tube is for the time-cohensiv of the highs and middletones. Use a EQ to turn down the frequences at 7-8 kHz. This is much better!

thanks for the advice, but im one of those few people who dont want to eq their headphones/iems, im more of like a modder, but anyways just wanna ask, after all these time you had the mmcx ver. of sw iii does the treble got tamed down compared to your initial impressions with it? what other iems or headphones can you compare its sibilance to? or did you have the chance to compare it with the fixed cable ver.?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back