"Ear Kegs" - MusicMaker Phantom III / Shockwave III appreciation & impressions
Aug 4, 2019 at 10:59 PM Post #1,786 of 1,906
I might be meeting someone the week after next with the newer MMCX version of the SW III and if it works out I will be able to compare his with my own fixed cable version ! - might be worth hanging on till then so I can give a definitive answer
as to how different the tuning [might] be?
Good to know about the P1 - Mine arrives this Tuesday :)
I sense you'll love the P1 - Give time for both the Brain Burn and the Burn in - you'll hear all kinds of subtle things either for the first time or in a spacially beautiful new way. Please do let us know the diffs between your fix vs his MMCX version.. It would be great to hear this some someone with v1 and a real point of comparison.. I'll hold off on pulling the trigger.

Aug 5, 2019 at 12:10 AM Post #1,787 of 1,906
Larry,

I have the mmcx version and I didn't experience any sibilance being complained of by others. I think its better using balanced cables as there is a noticeable improvement especially in the bass. It goes deeper. Just simply amazing As my prior posts here states, I have tested it side by side with the CA's and other legendary iems. Nothing compares to its holographic presentation, absolute monster of bass and just enough sparkle to satisfy. It's one of a kind.
May I ask how long you've had / when you received your mmcx version? Was it a recent acquisition. Trying to get a sense when the sibilance issue surfaced and if your are of the same vintage.

Aug 5, 2019 at 5:27 AM Post #1,789 of 1,906
My sw iii just arrived, the fixed cable ver. And YEESSSSSSSS!! no sibilance, I got the 1st production batch since it didnt came with the shark fins which is a bit unfortunate. tho its not the soundstage im amazed about, its the weight, guys why is this kegs so so light? Is this really light? The 9way is way more heavier than this. Talking about the initial sound sig, balanced close to neutral. Running it on my g7 right now.

Also the cables is thinner than the Unicorns but softer.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019 at 5:45 AM Post #1,790 of 1,906
Heres some pics...Man why is this thing so light...

IMG_20190805_173354.jpg IMG_20190805_173335.jpg
IMG_20190805_173318.jpg

Talking more about the sound, it isn't bassy, the soundstage is impressive but its not really that wide, more of like a ball of sphere. Vocals seems laid back, treble is very smooth no harshness or weird peaks. I hope the 400+ burn will help to open up the lower frequencies more coz right now im not hearing those low end. Initial thoughts somewhat dissapointed with the soundstage, thought it was really that wide...but this is just my initial impressions, currently still listening to them right now and will do more tests.

Edit: just listened to some of my treble heavy songs for testing, some minor sibilance but tolerable.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019 at 5:55 AM Post #1,791 of 1,906

Talking more about the sound, it isn't bassy, the soundstage is impressive but its not really that wide, more of like a ball of sphere. Vocals seems laid back, treble is very smooth no harshness or weird peaks. I hope the 400+ burn will help to open up the lower frequencies more coz right now im not hearing those low end. Initial thoughts somewhat dissapointed with the soundstage, thought it was really that wide...but this is just my initial impressions, currently still listening to them right now and will do more tests.

:D wow - where did you find the original wired version?
They do need a good few hundred hours to reveal themselves.
I have had some amazing 3D holographic times with them. Now the low end is pretty present. I used KZ foam tips for many years but recently have swopped over to JVC Spiral Tip. I prefer them to the Andromendas and most people find the Andromedas to be 'end game' IEM's for them.
Later, you will find an incredible IEM. As is usually the case though, the better the source you give them the easier it is for them to really shine :)

Aug 5, 2019 at 6:21 AM Post #1,792 of 1,906
:D wow - where did you find the original wired version?
They do need a good few hundred hours to reveal themselves.
I have had some amazing 3D holographic times with them. Now the low end is pretty present. I used KZ foam tips for many years but recently have swopped over to JVC Spiral Tip. I prefer them to the Andromendas and most people find the Andromedas to be 'end game' IEM's for them.
Later, you will find an incredible IEM. As is usually the case though, the better the source you give them the easier it is for them to really shine :)

yeah i got lucky the seller gave me the early productions, but is thing really light? this feels cheap compared to my 9way, but anyways, the initial sound quality overall is similar to my modded b8 however my b8 has the amazing low end that the sw iii cant give to me (yet(?)) but with way better detail retrieval, could hear some micro details that i rarely hear in my other headphones or buds/iems. soundstage is still not impressive to me, its not overly wide, somewhat 3d but not as the reviews portray, really hope it will get better overtime.

btw im using spinfit tips

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019 at 6:24 AM Post #1,793 of 1,906

Edit: just listened to some of my treble heavy songs for testing, some minor sibilance but tolerable.

Hi Larry,

Just a few tips to get the most out of these bass canons.

1. Use foam tips and make sure that the seal is tight.

2. Jon Parker is correct, it is source dependent. I use it with the X7 Mk. II for the sparkle and I use the mojo for the deep sub-bass.

3. It becomes better on balanced cables. If you can reterminate it, it would be best.

4. Try the recommended eq. It's free. If you don't like it, then you can just turn it off. I use viper and hiby to eq it. I believe hiby is free also.

The settings are:

31 khz = -5
62 khz = -5
125 = -6.5
250 = -12
500 = -12
1k = -9
2k = -9
4k= -12
8K= -12
16k= -1.8

Hope this helps.

Aug 5, 2019 at 6:31 AM Post #1,794 of 1,906
Hi Larry,

Just a few tips to get the most out of these bass canons.

1. Use foam tips and make sure that the seal is tight.

2. Jon Parker is correct, it is source dependent. I use it with the X7 Mk. II for the sparkle and I use the mojo for the deep sub-bass.

3. It becomes better on balanced cables. If you can reterminate it, it would be best.

4. Try the recommended eq. It's free. If you don't like it, then you can just turn it off. I use viper and hiby to eq it. I believe hiby is free also.

The settings are:

31 khz = -5
62 khz = -5
125 = -6.5
250 = -12
500 = -12
1k = -9
2k = -9
4k= -12
8K= -12
16k= -1.8

Hope this helps.

1. Sadly my ear canals are too small for any foam tips to fit so thats out of my options.

2. I believe my lg g7 is also no slouch as a source player but right now im on its normal mode, I dont have an adapter right now to trigger it to aux or high impedance mode so maybe thats why, tried them also on zishan z3+v5d and still disappointed.

3. I might try to do that in the near future.

4. Really not a fan of equing but will do, although I think the treble response on my pair is quite close to neutral so I will keep it undisturbed.

Aug 5, 2019 at 7:19 AM Post #1,795 of 1,906
yeah i got lucky the seller gave me the early productions, but is thing really light? this feels cheap compared to my 9way, but anyways, the initial sound quality overall is similar to my modded b8 however my b8 has the amazing low end that the sw iii cant give to me (yet(?)) but with way better detail retrieval, could hear some micro details that i rarely hear in my other headphones or buds/iems. soundstage is still not impressive to me, its not overly wide, somewhat 3d but not as the reviews portray, really hope it will get better overtime.

btw im using spinfit tips

Yup, they are super light. now I come to think about it, they never fall out of my ears! - Trust me, its been my own as well as the experience of others who have owned this version that they really do need 400 hours to fully open up!! My own set have incredible low end depth, punch and warmth. Im not a huge fam of bass head IEMS but these are superb...Anway, you'll see over time how they develop into something very very special. I really liked the 9Tails but they not at patch on the SW 3. Have no fear - you have a TOTL IEM. Possibly one of the best to come out of China. Time will tell how true this is for you but...they are!

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019 at 8:07 AM Post #1,796 of 1,906
Yup, they are super light. now I come to think about it, they never fall out of my ears! - Trust me, its been my own as well as the experience of others who have owned this version that they really do need 400 hours to fully open up!! My own set have incredible low end depth, punch and warmth. Im not a huge fam of bass head IEMS but these are superb...Anway, you'll see over time how they develop into something very very special. I really liked the 9Tails but they not at patch on the SW 3. Have no fear - you have a TOTL IEM. Possibly one of the best to come out of China. Time will tell how true this is for you but...they are!

Oh man, can't wait for that to happen.

Aug 6, 2019 at 10:36 AM Post #1,797 of 1,906
A day has passed and noticed some improvements after hours of torturing the drivers. It plays better on my laptop which is kinda weird, and did some comparisons with my beloved b8s, b8 still delivers better low end while keeping up with the microdetails, sw iii on the otherhand has a better instrument placement, however, soundstage stays the same. (Still not feeling the 3D stage, and im starting to get anxious ) :/

b8 also sounded more organic than the sw iii, especially on strings. Will update after a month maybe, we'll see how it goes.

20190806_222422_compress95.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2019 at 6:46 PM Post #1,798 of 1,906
I got my Shockwaves today and just a quick update because i'm burried in a client project but these are the MMCX Version and the BIG Question is Sibilant or Not Sibilant? The Answer is Yes and No! Ok, heres what I discovered. A proper fit is essential. I got them and popped them in with the included silicones and woah.... they're so harsh; yes sibilant. So I just jammed them, I mean really jammed them into my ears and all the lovely bass came out and all the sibilance smoothed off. Of course I didnt have a decent fit so they worked themselves out of my ear canal but if i held them in place with my fingers, no sibilance .... yes, there's hope. Got em home and popped on a set of Final E tips, problem solved! Then I tried a Comply T400s ... here we go.....
Nice and deep, good definition and nice and and sparkly with the edge taken right off..... They're good. I'm keeping them

Aug 8, 2019 at 7:09 PM Post #1,799 of 1,906
I got my Shockwaves today and just a quick update because i'm burried in a client project but these are the MMCX Version and the BIG Question is Sibilant or Not Sibilant? The Answer is Yes and No! Ok, heres what I discovered. A proper fit is essential. I got them and popped them in with the included silicones and woah.... they're so harsh; yes sibilant. So I just jammed them, I mean really jammed them into my ears and all the lovely bass came out and all the sibilance smoothed off. Of course I didnt have a decent fit so they worked themselves out of my ear canal but if i held them in place with my fingers, no sibilance .... yes, there's hope. Got em home and popped on a set of Final E tips, problem solved! Then I tried a Comply T400s ... here we go.....
Nice and deep, good definition and nice and and sparkly with the edge taken right off..... They're good. I'm keeping them

Yes! :D I used the red and blue KZ foam tips on mine for years! Its only recently I started using the JVC spiral tips and have been enjoying them
I have a holiday next week so the SW3's will be getting some quality time again :)

My Tin Audio P1's arrived. Out of the box they were promising.. - after 50 hours burn in = These are keepers - The bass is much more present now and... well... I wont go on a rant now but they are all I hoped for. They look very much like they will be keepers . . . which for me is super rare :D

Aug 8, 2019 at 7:14 PM Post #1,800 of 1,906
Yes! :D I used the red and blue KZ foam tips on mine for years! Its only recently I started using the JVC spiral tips and have been enjoying them
I have a holiday next week so the SW3's will be getting some quality time again :)

My Tin Audio P1's arrived. Out of the box they were promising.. - after 50 hours burn in = These are keepers - The bass is much more present now and... well... I wont go on a rant now but they are all I hoped for. They look very much like they will be keepers . . . which for me is super rare :D
Yes, I LOVE my P1s so much! I love them so much I also ordered the oBravo Cupids - Oh boy, I think Ive got the disease...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back