Earbuds Round-Up
Oct 9, 2017 at 8:28 AM Post #23,536 of 75,498
The problem with making a group survey of earbuds is that everyone has different tastes and different amounts they are willing to spend. With a survey generally the least expensive good earbud is going to rise towards the top as more people have tried them but more expensive ones are not.

I think the great thing about ClieOS list was that it was one person's opinion so he could subjectively compare many earbuds against one another rather then random people somewhat comparing earbuds they may have never heard versus ones they have. IMO reviews are much more useful then a pure rating.

Oct 9, 2017 at 8:29 AM Post #23,537 of 75,498
But if you don't consider the price as well, there's a problem. For example if there's a $10 earbud. A person who only listens to ~$10 earbuds might rate it high, but somebody who has better earbuds will rate the same earbud low.

Indeed, I did not think about such a case.
Because I can afford to some extent money.
If so, when it is some cheap, it should better be of the same rating for close sound quality.

Oct 9, 2017 at 8:32 AM Post #23,538 of 75,498
The problem with making a group survey of earbuds is that everyone has different tastes and different amounts they are willing to spend. With a survey generally the least expensive good earbud is going to rise towards the top as more people have tried them but more expensive ones are not.

I think the great thing about ClieOS list was that it was one person's opinion so he could subjectively compare many earbuds against one another rather then random people somewhat comparing earbuds they may have never heard versus ones they have. IMO reviews are much more useful then a pure rating.
Yeah, I know. In the top of the survey, I added a disclaimer saying that the ratings are kind of meaningless and not to be taken seriously. They're more so for deciding what to buy next (and what not to).

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #23,539 of 75,498
But if you don't consider the price as well, there's a problem. For example if there's a $10 earbud. A person who only listens to ~$10 earbuds might rate it high, but somebody who has better earbuds will rate the same earbud low.
The survey makes sense, if you let public vote for their favorite pair of earbuds, monk+ and vido will presumably end up on top, since many or most people here have those.

The number of 'votes' represents how popular or commonly used it is; 'rating' tells how intrinsically good it is. But then again most people do not own majority of the earbuds so they can not place the earbuds on the same scale as others.

Oct 9, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #23,540 of 75,498
The survey makes sense, if you let public vote for their favorite pair of earbuds, monk+ and vido will presumably end up on top, since many or most people here have those.

The number of 'votes' represents how popular or commonly used it is; 'rating' tells how intrinsically good it is. But then again most people do not own majority of the earbuds so they can not place the earbuds on the same scale as others.
However, I think that one who reads this Earbuds Round-Up and wants to write in that ranking may have more than five Earbuds if estimated at least.
And those who are trying to write in the rankings may think that they know which Earbuds are better from the information of Earbuds Round-Up.
(Of course, it is premised that the accuracy of Rating will be reduced to some extent.):ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #23,544 of 75,498
I apologize for not quoting your remarks exactly.:deadhorse:
No worries man :)

Just also letting everyone know that we also have a running "ranking" of most recommended earbuds as of Oct 2017 over at Earbuds Anonymous fb group.
Budget buds are still also expected to be at the top due to popularity.

Oct 9, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #23,546 of 75,498
But won't that only provide a visual separation? People will still rate whatever they own in the same way, I think.

But it'll help add perspective for the ratings. It might diminish the possibility of someone seeing a particularly high rated inexpensive earbud and thinking it might outperform a lesser rated albeit more expensive earbud. It never hurts to provide more information so people can make a more informed decision.

Oct 9, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #23,548 of 75,498
Rather than having the buds separated into price categories I would like to have 1-10 rather than 1-5. Now I have given Vido and Monk+ the same as Mojito (3). That sort of feels strange, and since I own earbuds priced from around $3 - ~$600 (Red Dragon) I would like a few more point to by. Overall I find Mojito to be better overall than Vido and Monk+, even if I prefer the sound signature of the former two. $100+ earbuds usually have better resolution and detail than budget earbuds. Now I'm in a position where I cannot give 5 to any other earbuds except for Red Dragon, no matter how much I want to, just because I find them to be in another league compared even to the TOTL earbuds.

Oct 9, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #23,549 of 75,498
Yep, my though process for $100+ and not splitting up the top cost suggestion further is I could see Masya vs Mojito as a reasonable assessment, but yes, 1-10 would allow a greater degree of accuracy. But really though, given how people all have different tastes, this kind of practice can really skew how accurately an earbud is scored. I was a little surprised to see how poorly the TP16 scored, when at least in my mind I'd have scored it a 3.5 or so.

Oct 9, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #23,550 of 75,498
Rather than having the buds separated into price categories I would like to have 1-10 rather than 1-5. Now I have given Vido and Monk+ the same as Mojito (3). That sort of feels strange, and since I own earbuds priced from around $3 - ~$600 (Red Dragon) I would like a few more point to by. Overall I find Mojito to be better overall than Vido and Monk+, even if I prefer the sound signature of the former two. $100+ earbuds usually have better resolution and detail than budget earbuds. Now I'm in a position where I cannot give 5 to any other earbuds except for Red Dragon, no matter how much I want to, just because I find them to be in another league compared even to the TOTL earbuds.
Changing that would require all the previous entries to be erased. (Doubling the existing entries causes some problems since people are allowed to edit their response.)
Dividing the earbuds into tiers based on price would actually be easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back