Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 25, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #68,881 of 75,492
Earbud fans! Today at Singapore Can Jam, I was pleasantly surprised to see a booth just specializing in earbuds. As you know, earbuds are very niche, and the whole Can Jam floor was inundated by hackneyed IEMs and headphones. So a earbud booth is really as rare as a blue moon.

DSC_0236.JPG

So apparently this company is called PISLO, and according to their rep, they have very brisk sales in China. They only sell their stuff on Taobao currently, but are open to selling in Aliexpress in the near future. Their reps unfortunately didn't speak a single word of English, and tried their best to communicate to the showroom participants, but sadly, they couldn't get most of their ideas across to the international speaking visitors. They couldn't provide a store website too unfortunately.

To my pleasant surprise, there were quite a number of visitors who stopped by to try their earbuds, so it seems our earbud hobby is picking up good traction. I actually spent 30 min here, and this was one of my favourite booths today at Can Jam.

There were 3 models on display. Granted, using earbuds on a noisy showroom floor isn't the most ideal of listening conditions. Apparently these earbuds use piezoelectric drivers? I'm not certain 100% as they were using very technical Chinese terms, but I don't think it is a standard DD.

1) Pislo PXVV - $674 USD
DSC_0152.JPG
So this is their lowest priced model. Wooden shells. Midcentric, good technicalities, neutral bass with sub-bass roll-off as per usual. Bass is very textured and fast, upper mids are forward without being too shouty.

2) Pislo PXTI - $1200 USD
DSC_0146.JPG
Their current flagship. This set is also midcentric, but much cleaner and more technical than the above PXVV. Also has a damn huge soundstage. Excellent timbre and very good technicalities. Once more, neutral bass with some sub-bass roll-off.

3) Protoype model - due to release in next 2 - 3 months.
DSC_0148.JPG
They said the tuning wasn't ready so it has no soldered drivers inside. So unfortunately I couldn't take a listen. Estimated retail price is ~ $1K USD.

I would grade these Pislo earbuds as TOTL for sure. Though the price tag is a bit eyewatering. Hope to find out more about this brand!

Mar 25, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #68,882 of 75,492
Earbud fans! Today at Singapore Can Jam, I was pleasantly surprised to see a booth just specializing in earbuds. As you know, earbuds are very niche, and the whole Can Jam floor was inundated by hackneyed IEMs and headphones. So a earbud booth is really as rare as a blue moon.

So apparently this company is called PISLO, and according to their rep, they have very brisk sales in China. They only sell their stuff on Taobao currently, but are open to selling in Aliexpress in the near future. Their reps unfortunately didn't speak a single word of English, and tried their best to communicate to the showroom participants, but sadly, they couldn't get most of their ideas across to the international speaking visitors. They couldn't provide a store website too unfortunately.

To my pleasant surprise, there were quite a number of visitors who stopped by to try their earbuds, so it seems our earbud hobby is picking up good traction. I actually spent 30 min here, and this was one of my favourite booths today at Can Jam.

There were 3 models on display. Granted, using earbuds on a noisy showroom floor isn't the most ideal of listening conditions. Apparently these earbuds use piezoelectric drivers? I'm not certain 100% as they were using very technical Chinese terms, but I don't think it is a standard DD.

1) Pislo PXVV - $674 USD

So this is their lowest priced model. Wooden shells. Midcentric, good technicalities, neutral bass with sub-bass roll-off as per usual. Bass is very textured and fast, upper mids are forward without being too shouty.

Their current flagship. This set is also midcentric, but much cleaner and more technical than the above PXVV. Also has a damn huge soundstage. Excellent timbre and very good technicalities. Once more, neutral bass with some sub-bass roll-off.

They said the tuning wasn't ready so it has no soldered drivers inside. So unfortunately I couldn't take a listen. Estimated retail price is ~ $1K USD.

I would grade these Pislo earbuds as TOTL for sure. Though the price tag is a bit eyewatering. Hope to find out more about this brand!
Very nice! It's nice there was a devoted booth for earbuds there. It seems that buds have more traction in the Asia Pacific region since most bud manufacturing and DIY materials are coming from China. From what I could tell many more buds are featured / found on Asian webstores like AE and Taobao and other webstores in the region than in US and EU webstores. I wonder if an earbuds booth will be present in the US (West, Mid-West, East) or EU CanJams.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #68,883 of 75,492
I love that AE is having an anniversay sale with decent discounts right now... I hate that I had to pay my property taxes. Well, I couldn't help myself and just bought the Temperament DB1 which is supposed to have better sound then the DB1E version. This will be my first set of buds that uses a 2 pin connection. I looked at a couple different AE stores and ended up getting them from the NiceHCK Audio Store. I don't think anyone else here picked them up yet, so we'll see how they are when they arrive.

Temperament DB1 - 2 pin, full titanium shell
1679715233020.png

EDIT:
Here's little more information on the K's earphone Temperament DB1 and DB1E.

@fogside did an excellent head-fi review of the DB1E.

Hifigo has a blog entry with information about the the DB1.

Key take aways from the blog (reads like some marketing thrown in):
SWEET! Congrats on your new shiny! :)

I have also read that the DB1 is better sounding than the DB1E. Looking forward to your impressions on them. I really do like the 2 pin connector on an earbud (the Maria II are the only ones I currently have), and think they should do it more. I like MMCX (for IEMs) but with a straight down cable, I feel that it adds undue stress to the connector, and feel that a 2 pin connector might work better with this scenario (just me thinking logically, no proof or anything like that).

DSC_0236.JPG

1) Pislo PXVV - $674 USD
DSC_0152.JPG

DSC_0146.JPG

DSC_0148.JPG

This is both exciting AND disappointing. While I love that someone is spreading the (good) word about earbuds, I think with prices like this, it will push those potential new customers away before they even find that buds are really excellent. And those prices are complete "highway robbery". They seem to be taking advantage of people's ignorance of buds. Because TOTL IEM prices are similar to this, (new) people will pay this price for buds also unwittingly. And because (I think) they are purposely trying to exploit this, that makes them dishonest from the get-go (IMHO). I would probably not buy a set from them even if they should lower the price to a more acceptable tag. I can only hope that this doesn't drive the rest of the market prices up and up.... :frowning2:

And while they look really cool in an 80's sort of retro style, I think they don't look finished.... ROFL

Thanks so much for sharing this with us. :) Do you think they are using Piezo alone or in combination with a DD?

Mar 25, 2023 at 11:55 AM Post #68,884 of 75,492
Yeah, the Pislo booth was a surprise highlight for me. As someone who likes earbuds but also likes bass, these really scratch an itch for me. I tried the black one priced around SGD2.5K (approx. USD1.8K per current exchange rates) without any foams and it was still capable of punching like an iem, imo. The cheaper models were also pretty capable in that respect, although to a lesser degree. Fiio FF3 lovers should take note.

I'm kind of hoping one of the Singapore distributors/stores will take note and start carrying them. Spending that much on a previously unknown to me brand is kind of intimidating. The booth reps were very friendly but my mandarin is terrible so I couldn't ask them about warranty or what happens if something goes wrong.

Mar 25, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #68,886 of 75,492
That's only from the driver side and I magine it's probably due to the open driver design. The shells are made of metal and they feel pretty solid and well built in hand.
And, I would bet they probably actually look better in person too?!

Mar 25, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #68,887 of 75,492
And, I would bet they probably actually look better in person too?!
Yup. While I do find the idea of a 4-figure priced earbud kind of shocking, that might just be because this is the first time I've come across one. Compared to similarly priced iems, I don't find them to look or feel cheap in comparison. Let me put it this way, I own a Sony IER-Z1R which is priced similar to the Pislo I mentioned and if you put them side by side, I don't think the Pislo would look out of place.

Mar 25, 2023 at 12:52 PM Post #68,888 of 75,492

DSC_0236.JPG

1) Pislo PXVV - $674 USD
DSC_0152.JPG

DSC_0146.JPG

DSC_0148.JPG

We have a fellow aficionado on this thread, @weexisttocease I believe, who owns a pair of PISLO buds. I'm not sure which model he owns though. I have tried a pair at a friend's house in San Francisco and, while not my cup of tea tuningwise, they have tons of detail and a huge soundstage so I'd definitely be open to trying other models.

BTW, thanks for sharing! It's good to see some buds making an appearance at CanJam. 🤘😎

Mar 25, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #68,889 of 75,492
It said to be bright by Woody
The entire Pislo line-up is very much geared towards female voices especially Asian female vocals (K-Pop/J-Pop)... aka Female Poison. They are extremely detailed but damn the upper mids and lower highs are right there in your face! Beware to those sensitive to bright and sibilant treble, harsh upper mids/lower highs, and/or in your face midrange... they bite!

The PISLO PXVV by ArtVano comes in two (2) piezoelectric versions: standard or high-impedance and is a second generation version of their piezoelectric ceramic solid wood & resin cavity flathead earbud first introduced back three plus years ago the 2018 PISLO PX HIFI (31Ω @ 115dB; International "Piezoelectric" Version; ~USD $1,659!) which did come in three (3) other lower tiered "non-piezoelectric" versions: P7, PX, and Yan.​
2018 - PISLO P7 Flathead; 31Ω @ 108dB (Domestic-China version)​
2018 - PISLO PX; 31Ω @ 115dB (Int'l Standard version)​
2018 - PISLO PX HIFI; 31Ω @ 115dB (Int'l Piezoelectric version)​
2020 - PISLO 焱 Yan Black Flame Edition; 31Ω @ 106dB​
2021 - PISLO PXVV; 32Ω/122Ω (Gen 2 Piezoelectric)​

1660671529181.png

Mar 25, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #68,891 of 75,492
SWEET! Congrats on your new shiny! :)

I have also read that the DB1 is better sounding than the DB1E. Looking forward to your impressions on them. I really do like the 2 pin connector on an earbud (the Maria II are the only ones I currently have), and think they should do it more. I like MMCX (for IEMs) but with a straight down cable, I feel that it adds undue stress to the connector, and feel that a 2 pin connector might work better with this scenario (just me thinking logically, no proof or anything like that).
Thanks! The review by @fogside is already very positive for the DB1E, so if it's any indication of how the DB1 will perform then I think this may be an excellent bud, but we won't know until they're in hand.

We already have a small first hand account of the DB1 by @omerad here which was pretty promising.

I spent some time with K's products because, a) respect for showing up to the expo with only flathead earbud products in a sea of IEMs (where the heck are Yincrow and Toneking!?), and b) they just need maximum love and support for what they do. They had three main buds that I could tell. Bell-Ti and Bell-Ti Plus, I heard the Plus and it's their flagship, it is a very analytical earphone. Not overly bright but very precise and analytical, also mid forward and good midbass but not a lot of sub-bass. Next is the db1 product which is mid-tier for them, its a more balanced and warmish sounding bud. I liked the design of the db1 which has a unique shell design and removable 2 pin cables. The shell has a machined design that enhances the acoustics supposedly, instead of the typical K's bell shaped products. I first tried the db1 cable down but the rep insisted it would sound better hooked over the ear, and he was right it did sound better, no idea why that would be. Anyway the buds apparently come with both straight and over ear hooked cables. The third product is a new "dbX" which is launching in April or May. In photos its the db1 style design but with a shiny silver or gold shell. The dbX is pretty much the same as db1 but flashier design and it did indeed sound similar. Price is supposed to be a little higher than db1.

If I only had one I'd probably go for db1 or dbX. I prefer a warmer and balanced tuning, maybe a little extra bass. I like the shell design of the db1 or dbX over the bell shape with a stem, and of course the versatility of removable cable and multiple wear position is good too. I imagine it would complement my other current favs like Yinman, FF5 and the Nobunaga

Attachments​

• 20230312_150941.jpg

20230312_150941.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0

• 20230312_150946.jpg

20230312_150946.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0

• 20230312_151952.jpg

20230312_151952.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #68,892 of 75,492
Thanks! The review by @fogside is already very positive for the DB1E, so if it's any indication of how the DB1 will perform then I think this may be an excellent bud, but we won't know until they're in hand.

We already have a small first hand account of the DB1 by @omerad here which was pretty promising.

I spent some time with K's products because, a) respect for showing up to the expo with only flathead earbud products in a sea of IEMs (where the heck are Yincrow and Toneking!?), and b) they just need maximum love and support for what they do. They had three main buds that I could tell. Bell-Ti and Bell-Ti Plus, I heard the Plus and it's their flagship, it is a very analytical earphone. Not overly bright but very precise and analytical, also mid forward and good midbass but not a lot of sub-bass. Next is the db1 product which is mid-tier for them, its a more balanced and warmish sounding bud. I liked the design of the db1 which has a unique shell design and removable 2 pin cables. The shell has a machined design that enhances the acoustics supposedly, instead of the typical K's bell shaped products. I first tried the db1 cable down but the rep insisted it would sound better hooked over the ear, and he was right it did sound better, no idea why that would be. Anyway the buds apparently come with both straight and over ear hooked cables. The third product is a new "dbX" which is launching in April or May. In photos its the db1 style design but with a shiny silver or gold shell. The dbX is pretty much the same as db1 but flashier design and it did indeed sound similar. Price is supposed to be a little higher than db1.

If I only had one I'd probably go for db1 or dbX. I prefer a warmer and balanced tuning, maybe a little extra bass. I like the shell design of the db1 or dbX over the bell shape with a stem, and of course the versatility of removable cable and multiple wear position is good too. I imagine it would complement my other current favs like Yinman, FF5 and the Nobunaga

Attachments​

• 20230312_150941.jpg

20230312_150941.jpg

• 20230312_150946.jpg

20230312_150946.jpg

• 20230312_151952.jpg

20230312_151952.jpg

Of course, there will be people that love one version or the other best (with both sets I would imagine). So, I know better than to go by what a small few might say. Did you just order the DB1, or did you end up ordering both sets (for comparison purposes)?

From the pictures, those look pretty big, but it could be angles and perspective (even though they are shaped much like a Yincrow, or Smabat might be) or it could just be me being "goofy sighted". :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Mar 25, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #68,893 of 75,492

Attachments​

• 20230312_150941.jpg

20230312_150941.jpg

• 20230312_150946.jpg

20230312_150946.jpg

• 20230312_151952.jpg

20230312_151952.jpg

I have been trying to decide whether I should check out the DB1 or DB1E. I didn't realize @fogside had a review up so thanks for the heads up! 👍😎

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #68,894 of 75,492
Of course, there will be people that love one version or the other best (with both sets I would imagine). So, I know better than to go by what a small few might say. Did you just order the DB1, or did you end up ordering both sets (for comparison purposes)?

From the pictures, those look pretty big, but it could be angles and perspective (even though they are shaped much like a Yincrow, or Smabat might be) or it could just be me being "goofy sighted". :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I only got the DB1... just took a financial hit paying my property taxes.

According to the specs, these are right in the middle between than Yuin PK (16.09mm) and the Yincrow RW-3000 (16.83mm) and MX500 (16.82mm).

Temperament DB1_DB1E Specs.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #68,895 of 75,492

1) Pislo PXVV - $674 USD

I own the PXVV. Fantastic pair of earbuds with a piezoelectric driver. They really are TOTL earbuds with excellent bass texture and speed. Neutral with a hint of warmth. I wasn't aware of the PXTI, it looks rather interesting.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back