Earbuds Round-Up
Feb 25, 2024 at 1:00 AM Post #74,086 of 75,756
Alright. I wanted someone to reconfirm that the FF1 is sill a good option. I just looked at the two reviews and baskingshark gave 3/5 which is sus. I like baskingperson too so i trust their judgement. The second review said to not wear them nekkid! But I am part of the #nofoamgang so that won't happen. I want the detachable cable just so a stock one has less chance of strangling me. I was inspired by a pet break-free collar. It is good to know that they are built like the higher-end stuff. Also, I just remember that the accessories are nice and would probably be like 50% of the reason why would get the FF1!

Yes, I have heard about the NickHCK EB2S. I luv the green color! Also has waifu on box! About sound, I cared less 4 sound when I compared to big bassy near field system so things like build quality and stability is good. I have tested a cpl earbud shapes and all of them fit good. I will probably plug into a phone or tablet. I left all my DACs and jazz to the near field system and my amp is not plugged in. I thik the choice is clear. I have always wanted a FIIO bud. Also NickHCK is 34 smackaroons on amajohn, but it is the pro version. I guess that's all. I just though therre would be more reviews for the FF1.
Yeah, and the FF1 come with hella' good accessories (especially considering the price) as you mentioned. There is no case with it, but the cable has a volume/play/mic built in, which works with the (also) included USB-C DAC/dongle for most all phones as well as plugging directly into the headphone jack of an android phone (as for plugging directly into iDevice, I am not sure because I haven't tried it). Also, it comes with some ear wings that will solve having to worry about foams or whether they will fall out of your ears as well:

Finally, here are some great first impressions of these from when @mt877 bought his: HERE

That whole thread has some pretty good thoughts about all of the new(er) buds from FiiO, including some complaints about the new proprietary thinking about their cable for the FF1 and the FF3S, and other things as well. :)

The NiceHCK EB2S you would have to get from AE (from the link I posted in my... post), and they are around $14 or so.

Feb 25, 2024 at 1:14 AM Post #74,087 of 75,756
Those look very cool. You sort of alluded to the sound, but more to the point, are they the typical Bose tuning (more Harmanish)? I still have a pair of their AE2W, which is their AE2 with a BT dongle connected to it. For me, these are the best that Bose was able to produce (to my hearing). The OG soundsport Free BT earphones (I refuse to call any of these "buds" :)) weren't horrid, but I didn't like the tuning much.

When you refer to the Sony donuts, are you talking about the OG Linkbuds? For me, while they aren't the MOST comfortable of all time, I actually really like the sound of these. Interesting that you find them to sound better, even with a bloated bass.... Maybe you were in one of those moods that you really needed to hear the bass in a big way that day??? :wink:
Oh, did I say they sounded better? I don't actually think that. The Linkbuds (donuts) do sound better for sure, but only when positioned properly, and in my ears that position is very painful and only lasts a few seconds before they shift way out. So yeah, the Bose do not sound better, but I still prefer them because they sound, well, okay, with easy fit.

I guess I hadn't considered that. When I finally DID catch it (just last year), it was only like a mild cold to me, and this flu/pneumonia was much worse... But, I would bet dollars to doughnuts that you are right.

That sounds horrible... I'm glad you are feeling better. :beerchug:

Feb 25, 2024 at 1:17 AM Post #74,088 of 75,756
Sorry for the very long delay, I have been ill and doing work stuff for a bit!
I haven't actually, been out of the loop greatly of anything earbuds I am afraid. A lot of my work and personal development has gone into headphones which has been a great investment!

Which ones are the 120 ohms?
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EzKwtjP

Feb 25, 2024 at 1:23 AM Post #74,090 of 75,756
Oh, did I say they sounded better? I don't actually think that. The Linkbuds (donuts) do sound better for sure, but only when positioned properly, and in my ears that position is very painful and only lasts a few seconds before they shift way out. So yeah, the Bose do not sound better, but I still prefer them because they sound, well, okay, with easy fit.

That sounds horrible... I'm glad you are feeling better. :beerchug:
AAAh! That makes sense, and they do look VERY easy to position. For me the Linkbuds are hard to get just so at first, but once there, they don't move, and are comfortable for a long time (when I first got them I think I was sensitive to the case material, which went away after a while). I only wish they were at least AptX. Not that they sound bad as they are, but I could see the sound quality being better with AptX or even LDAC... :)

Thanks so much... Me too! :wink:

Feb 25, 2024 at 7:43 AM Post #74,091 of 75,756
Been a while since I posted. Anyone got recommendations for light MMCX cables?

Feb 25, 2024 at 8:11 AM Post #74,092 of 75,756
Been a while since I posted. Anyone got recommendations for light MMCX cables?
https://a.aliexpress.com/_ExhYxHj
I chose the blue one 20240225_150922.jpg

Feb 25, 2024 at 10:57 AM Post #74,093 of 75,756
What I am listening to today:

These don't get a ton of play time for me, because they are so niche in what sounds good with these. They have one of the biggest sound stages in any gear that I have heard, but they have a really large boost at about 1k -1.5k. So, if I use them for anything but instrumental, classical, etc... they don't sound very good to me at all. But for those types of music that I mentioned, there is only one that I might consider better; the Moondrop Chaconne (except that these CAN have HUGE amounts of bass if called for).

20210811_152943.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2024 at 11:02 AM Post #74,094 of 75,756
@shimigg, feel free to click the drag-n-drop builds link in my signature for some decent sounding builds (with AE links to parts). Just some relatively easy builds to test the DIY waters so to speak. You should also read through the DIY Earbuds thread for some tuning and other build info.

EDIT: Here's an example of good knowledge about general tuning found in the DIY Earbuds thread: Info on tuning cotton, horseshoe tuning foams and manipulating the sound.

@ValSuki, just wanted to say thank you for designing the Val39 shell. The build I did with your shell turned out great.
Hey no worries! I am surprised theyre still being used haha. They were my first proper CAD model without me knowing much CAD.
Oh yes those! I remember using them a while ago and they sounded really nice. I need to get some in to play with again.

I am likely to stop selling earbuds in the near future and just go back into it for fun. It seems nicer that way!

Feb 25, 2024 at 11:09 AM Post #74,095 of 75,756
I am likely to stop selling earbuds in the near future and just go back into it for fun. It seems nicer that way!
Either way, it seems as though you have always had some very innovative thoughts and ideas where flatheads are concerned, to go along with the actions you have actually put into play as well. :)
Applause to you!

Feb 25, 2024 at 11:25 AM Post #74,096 of 75,756
Hi, I'm new to earbuds and I was wondering which of these earbuds would fit my tastes more:

- Fiio FF3s
- Fiio FF5
- RW-3000
- Yinman 600 ohm

I like electronic, trance, jazz and euro-pop. Apart from music, I sometimes watch movies and play games from time to time, so it would be nice if the earbud had a good airy sound-stage and good instrument separation with enough verticality in the sound (I really don't know if it's possible to mimic verticality).

For me, the earbud must have a good bass extension and punchy, while being very controlled so it doesn't muddle other frequencies. Additionally, I like when the sound is clear, but not shout-y enough to cause me discomfort after a few minutes listening.

My priorities in sound quality would be as follows: 1. Clarity; 2. Bass quality. 3. Airy sound-stage.

According to what I've read, that would put the RW-3000 and FF5 at the top, but I've never tried earbuds, so I'm not sure.

Thanks!
I have FF3 and RW-3000, neither of them sounds as good as Temperament Little Black Bell S (LBBS).
Do yourself a favor and buy it before it's completely sold out (it's no longer made) - at only 50$, it's the TOTL killer.
Its supposed "improved" successor X6 is nowhere as good either.
LBBS tops almost every other earbud I tried in all 3 categories you have listed.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001464323686.html

P.S. Make sure you don't buy the cheaper "Black with Mic" version - it's LBS, not LBBS.

Feb 25, 2024 at 1:53 PM Post #74,097 of 75,756
I have FF3 and RW-3000, neither of them sounds as good as Temperament Little Black Bell S (LBBS).
Do yourself a favor and buy it before it's completely sold out (it's no longer made) - at only 50$, it's the TOTL killer.
LBBS tops almost every other earbud I tried in all 3 categories you have listed.

P.S. Make sure you don't buy the cheaper "Black with Mic" version - it's LBS, not LBBS.
Thanks, I'll take a look at them later.

I've decided on the Yinman 2.0 600 ohm and was thinking on getting a cheaper one to go along with it, maybe the FF3 or some other, so I'll definitely add that one to my list.

I'm sorry about the spelling mistakes in my post you quoted! I was half-asleep, but I think I have now fixed the structure and grammar...

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2024 at 3:58 PM Post #74,098 of 75,756
I'm flattered, but I think you mistook what I wrote to @samandhi about sharing. The stepping stone builds I'm sharing which you can try are in my signature. Click the link for drag-n-drop builds. Also recommended to read through the DIY Earbuds thread. You'll find some good information there. The Earbuds Round-Up thread (this thread) also has some hidden nuggets of DIY information, it's just a matter of finding the nuggets sprinkled in all the earbuds discussion.

EDIT: Here's an example of good knowledge about general tuning found in the DIY Earbuds thread: Info on tuning cotton, horseshoe tuning foams and manipulating the sound.

EDIT#2: Here's more information about tuning. Tuning becomes a bit easier if you understand this basic information. The rest is up to you to have fun and experiment. You'll definitely learn as you go.
Oh my bad. I did misread. Sorry for that. 😁

Yeah I see your sig all the time, but I think I'll finally click on the drag n drop link. And thank you for the other links to the tuning! This sounds like a very fun hobby and now see why do many diy here.

The only thing I'm concerned about is how precise you have to be, and working with tiny parts. See I have tremors so my hand are always doing a "dance" when I don't want them to. But I think I'll be able to do some kind of build regardless.

Thanks again for all your help

Feb 25, 2024 at 4:33 PM Post #74,099 of 75,756

A lesson in why some earbuds work better for some than others. It has nothing to do with cost or quality. Find what works and enjoy :thumbsup:

Feb 25, 2024 at 4:42 PM Post #74,100 of 75,756
A lesson in why some earbuds work better for some than others. It has nothing to do with cost or quality. Find what works and enjoy :thumbsup:
An important part of why LBBS outperforms is the bell-like shape.
It allows to place the earbud playing directly into the ear canal, instead of facing the concha.
Imagine placing speakers facing a wall instead of facing you - that's why earbuds with the classic shape underperform.

Cost may not be a large factor in earbuds' performance, but quality components certainly are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back