Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Feb 18, 2022 at 1:55 AM Post #35,072 of 40,675
For classic rock I personally prefer the EVO, the Odin I find a bit sibilant. The Odin is definitely better for classical or big band music.
What if we add more modern music like Punk, metal and metalcore. The energy and bass provided by Evo might be fine. But the extra treble extension and maybe more resolution in the midrange could also be nice. Thanks in advance.

Feb 18, 2022 at 6:29 AM Post #35,073 of 40,675
What if we add more modern music like Punk, metal and metalcore. The energy and bass provided by Evo might be fine. But the extra treble extension and maybe more resolution in the midrange could also be nice. Thanks in advance.
The EVO resolves nicely in the mid range, possibly has better texture then the Odin with the W10 bone driver. The Odin will resolve better when you hit the upper frequency of the mid range into the highs. The EVO’s highs are not as extended or resolving as the Odin. For punk, 70’s to 90’s punk I definitely prefer the EVO. Besides Metallica and some light metal I really don’t listen to much metal, EVO definitely sounds more dynamic and energetic in the low to mid range just can not compare to the Odin in the upper registers. It’s really more of a personal preference and you should probably listen to both.

Feb 19, 2022 at 9:12 PM Post #35,074 of 40,675
My 1st dive into the 1K+ (per) gear territory...I always tried to stay 'mid-fi' all these years - but boy they don't disappoint!

20220220_100542.jpg

Feb 19, 2022 at 10:09 PM Post #35,077 of 40,675
Last edited:
Feb 20, 2022 at 4:13 AM Post #35,079 of 40,675
Hahaha :smile:

Clearly, we have different definitions of 'mid-fi', been laying low for 3+ years (Last puchase was still back in early 2019) so my 'mid-fi' bracket is still stuck from the past. My mid-fi definition is staying below 1K :smile:
Being serious, after trying something like Nemesis recently, and knowing that you can get it for as little as 600 bucks...
It puts most of chifi to shame lol.

Feb 20, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #35,081 of 40,675
does anyone here tried the legend evo with computer games? how is the experience?
I use it for gaming. Sounds great, the bass impact is very immersive and the sound stage wider than I had expected. I use the Evo with a ifi micro signature and an inexpensive extension cable.

Feb 21, 2022 at 7:25 AM Post #35,082 of 40,675
Being serious, after trying something like Nemesis recently, and knowing that you can get it for as little as 600 bucks...
It puts most of chifi to shame lol.
"knowing that you can get it for as little as 600 bucks"
Not from me you won't :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I don't think I'd ever sell my Nemesis, since prices have dipped so much as newer models have come out (and then themselves been superseded), and it just offers something that most IEMs still can't match. With the thicker-gauge Ares II+ that bass is what the word 'visceral' may have been invented for.
Having said that, I'm still waiting to hear the Evo :D

Feb 21, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #35,083 of 40,675
I have had the Wraith over for a while now and only just been able to give them a proper listen. Because they do like a bit more power, I have been driving them with the Shanling M8 on “turbo” gain. I can just get away with that, with only very minor hiss and just enough room on the volume dial. Perhaps a desktop source might be able to push these even further, but I have not been able to try yet.

Wraith.JPG

Oh my, these are good! The Wraith are incredibly well balanced with very accurate tonality, but it is the stage that is truly impressive. Not just the size, which is cavernous, also how superbly well the stage is set. The image that the Wraith are able to conjure up is stunning, with pinpoint precision and crystal clarity. Empire Ears’ own description is not exaggerating when they say “no detail is overlooked”, it genuinely feels like that. What I find so incredible about it is that the Wraith manage to extract this level of detail while maintaining an utterly natural tonality and wonderful smoothness. Moreover, the Wraith are dynamic and can ebb and flow with the full range of emotions one might find in works such as Verdi’s Requiem.

Because of how well balanced the Wraith are, I find them exceptionally versatile and capable of working with anything from orchestral to down-tempo EDM to acoustic rock to punk rock to [fill in the blank]. The image adjusts along with the music to provide a scale suitable for the largest orchestras, while conveying intimacy of an acoustic rock session with just as much ease. Clean and clear, but nothing sterile. No, the Wraith are thoroughly musical. The bass is textured, punchy and can adjust seamlessly to anything thrown at it. Mids are accurate, superbly clean and clear with crisp vocals. Treble is extended, airy and inoffensive, although I think that there might be a bit more to gain with an even more powerful source. Given how DAPs are becoming increasingly more powerful, I think the Wraith might well be worth another look if you have such a DAP at hand.

Anyway, just wanted to share some thoughts. My preferences have recently been moving away a bit from warmer IEMs like my Phantom and the Wraith have been just the IEMs to fit my current preference for balance and clarity.

Feb 21, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #35,084 of 40,675
I have had the Wraith over for a while now and only just been able to give them a proper listen. Because they do like a bit more power, I have been driving them with the Shanling M8 on “turbo” gain. I can just get away with that, with only very minor hiss and just enough room on the volume dial. Perhaps a desktop source might be able to push these even further, but I have not been able to try yet.

Oh my, these are good! The Wraith are incredibly well balanced with very accurate tonality, but it is the stage that is truly impressive. Not just the size, which is cavernous, also how superbly well the stage is set. The image that the Wraith are able to conjure up is stunning, with pinpoint precision and crystal clarity. Empire Ears’ own description is not exaggerating when they say “no detail is overlooked”, it genuinely feels like that. What I find so incredible about it is that the Wraith manage to extract this level of detail while maintaining an utterly natural tonality and wonderful smoothness. Moreover, the Wraith are dynamic and can ebb and flow with the full range of emotions one might find in works such as Verdi’s Requiem.

Because of how well balanced the Wraith are, I find them exceptionally versatile and capable of working with anything from orchestral to down-tempo EDM to acoustic rock to punk rock to [fill in the blank]. The image adjusts along with the music to provide a scale suitable for the largest orchestras, while conveying intimacy of an acoustic rock session with just as much ease. Clean and clear, but nothing sterile. No, the Wraith are thoroughly musical. The bass is textured, punchy and can adjust seamlessly to anything thrown at it. Mids are accurate, superbly clean and clear with crisp vocals. Treble is extended, airy and inoffensive, although I think that there might be a bit more to gain with an even more powerful source. Given how DAPs are becoming increasingly more powerful, I think the Wraith might well be worth another look if you have such a DAP at hand.

Anyway, just wanted to share some thoughts. My preferences have recently been moving away a bit from warmer IEMs like my Phantom and the Wraith have been just the IEMs to fit my current preference for balance and clarity.
I enjoyed them back when I heard them as part of a tour, but they were never really well received if I recall, the price being a turn-off as well. I regret not grabbing these when they were going for about half price on the classifieds. It has been a while since I’ve seen one pop up, I assume because current owners realize what great IEMs they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back