Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Feb 21, 2022 at 8:56 PM Post #35,086 of 40,664
I have had the Wraith over for a while now and only just been able to give them a proper listen. Because they do like a bit more power, I have been driving them with the Shanling M8 on “turbo” gain. I can just get away with that, with only very minor hiss and just enough room on the volume dial. Perhaps a desktop source might be able to push these even further, but I have not been able to try yet.

Wraith.JPG

Oh my, these are good! The Wraith are incredibly well balanced with very accurate tonality, but it is the stage that is truly impressive. Not just the size, which is cavernous, also how superbly well the stage is set. The image that the Wraith are able to conjure up is stunning, with pinpoint precision and crystal clarity. Empire Ears’ own description is not exaggerating when they say “no detail is overlooked”, it genuinely feels like that. What I find so incredible about it is that the Wraith manage to extract this level of detail while maintaining an utterly natural tonality and wonderful smoothness. Moreover, the Wraith are dynamic and can ebb and flow with the full range of emotions one might find in works such as Verdi’s Requiem.

Because of how well balanced the Wraith are, I find them exceptionally versatile and capable of working with anything from orchestral to down-tempo EDM to acoustic rock to punk rock to [fill in the blank]. The image adjusts along with the music to provide a scale suitable for the largest orchestras, while conveying intimacy of an acoustic rock session with just as much ease. Clean and clear, but nothing sterile. No, the Wraith are thoroughly musical. The bass is textured, punchy and can adjust seamlessly to anything thrown at it. Mids are accurate, superbly clean and clear with crisp vocals. Treble is extended, airy and inoffensive, although I think that there might be a bit more to gain with an even more powerful source. Given how DAPs are becoming increasingly more powerful, I think the Wraith might well be worth another look if you have such a DAP at hand.

Anyway, just wanted to share some thoughts. My preferences have recently been moving away a bit from warmer IEMs like my Phantom and the Wraith have been just the IEMs to fit my current preference for balance and clarity.
Try a Zeus if you want balance and clarity (and not thudding bass)

Feb 22, 2022 at 12:26 AM Post #35,087 of 40,664
I enjoyed them back when I heard them as part of a tour, but they were never really well received if I recall, the price being a turn-off as well. I regret not grabbing these when they were going for about half price on the classifieds. It has been a while since I’ve seen one pop up, I assume because current owners realize what great IEMs they are.
That's why I thought I would share some thoughts, because I think they are a bit overlooked even though with the right source they are really good. With more powerful DAPs becoming the norm, people might have started catching on.
You need a big Hugo to drive one properly. At least that's the story.
Yes, they need a surprising amount of power. I feel the M8 can just about do it, but with (for instance) the LPGT I feel they are a bit dull by comparison. I might see if I can borrow a desktop amp somewhere.
Try a Zeus if you want balance and clarity (and not thudding bass)
Zeus are sadly the ones that got away. I always wanted to hear them and never had a chance to demo. A friend of mine has them, but in CIEM and I can't force-fit his.

Feb 22, 2022 at 1:19 AM Post #35,088 of 40,664
DO01020880.jpg

Hello. Been lurking this thread for a while. I am using the EE Odin as my main since December 2021, its almost a perfect IEM for me. I love its supreme detail retrieval and bass quality. Its energy brings out the right emotions with vocal / classical music. It ticks all the boxes for me even with the intangibles such as looks, build quality and the cable. Because it has a light cable, I often pair it with the Shanling UP5 for light walks and the gym.

The only problem that I have come across is that occasionally the upper mids can get harsh with certain tracks. After testing the Fiio M11plusLTD, Ibasso 300, Shanling M8, Fiio M17, A&K SP2000T, I have decided to keep the Fiio M17 for streaming and the SP2000T for the tube mode to tame the mids. Curious about how the Luxury Precision LP6 does. Has anyone here paired it with the Odin?

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2022 at 2:24 AM Post #35,089 of 40,664
Hello. Been lurking this thread for a while. I am using the EE Odin as my main since December 2021, its almost a perfect IEM for me. I love its supreme detail retrieval and bass quality. Its energy brings out the right emotions with vocal / classical music. It ticks all the boxes for me even with the intangibles such as looks, build quality and the cable. Because it has a light cable, I often pair it with the Shanling UP5 for light walks and the gym.

The only problem that I have come across is that occasionally the upper mids can get harsh with certain tracks. After testing the Fiio M11plusLTD, Ibasso 300, Shanling M8, Fiio M17, A&K SP2000T, I have decided to keep the Fiio M17 for streaming and the SP2000T for the tube mode to tame the mids. Curious about how the Luxury Precision LP6 does. Has anyone here paired it with the Odin?
Hey, did you try the Odin with other genres and how did it work out? The Rock and Metal would interest me the most. Is EQ an option for you the harsh upper mids or didn't it for out in your favor? Thanks for your help.

Feb 22, 2022 at 3:05 AM Post #35,090 of 40,664
Hey, did you try the Odin with other genres and how did it work out? The Rock and Metal would interest me the most. Is EQ an option for you the harsh upper mids or didn't it for out in your favor? Thanks for your help.

I have not EQ'd it as I find it cumbersome to do on Android. Regarding other genres, Rap and 80s rock had more chance of giving me sibilance. Its the cymbals / drum hits that came off as sharp. This was even more noticeable when I switched out to Azla Xelestec tips.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2022 at 3:14 AM Post #35,091 of 40,664
The Odin is pretty safe for jazz and classical but risky for rock and metal IMHO. You may like it but you have to have a high tolerance for elevated upper mids. I think the EVO is likely a better match for those genres.

Feb 22, 2022 at 5:12 AM Post #35,092 of 40,664
Yes, they need a surprising amount of power. I feel the M8 can just about do it, but with (for instance) the LPGT I feel they are a bit dull by comparison. I might see if I can borrow a desktop amp somewhere.

Zeus are sadly the ones that got away. I always wanted to hear them and never had a chance to demo. A friend of mine has them, but in CIEM and I can't force-fit his.
We're here to help each other whenever we can right? I've got a spare desktop headphone amp (TEAC HA-501) over here atm and will send you more information by pm later on my friend. We can also talk about my Zeus XR, which you haven't tried yet (I guess you tried Nics before). Also a custom, but who knows...

Feb 22, 2022 at 5:13 AM Post #35,093 of 40,664
The Odin is pretty safe for jazz and classical but risky for rock and metal IMHO. You may like it but you have to have a high tolerance for elevated upper mids. I think the EVO is likely a better match for those genres.
Thanks for your reply. The uppermids are exactly the part I am most concerned off. I read somewehere that handling guitars is not a strength of the Odin. So maybe Evo is the better chioce. As I have a Legend X and Mest MkII, can those three coexist?

Feb 22, 2022 at 5:45 AM Post #35,094 of 40,664
We're here to help each other whenever we can right? I've got a spare desktop headphone amp (TEAC HA-501) over here atm and will send you more information by pm later on my friend. We can also talk about my Zeus XR, which you haven't tried yet (I guess you tried Nics before). Also a custom, but who knows...
Yes, tried force fitting some of Nic's CIEMs, but that didn't even come close to working. We'll catch up later! 👍

Feb 22, 2022 at 9:11 AM Post #35,095 of 40,664
Thanks for your reply. The uppermids are exactly the part I am most concerned off. I read somewehere that handling guitars is not a strength of the Odin. So maybe Evo is the better chioce. As I have a Legend X and Mest MkII, can those three coexist?
I have EVO and MEST2, and think they can easily coexist since they are very complementary.
not sure though about X, since never listened to those.

Feb 22, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #35,096 of 40,664
Yes, I think they are different enough. Not sure they will get much ear time though...😊 Mind you, the EVO is also quite elevated in the upper mids, but much less than the Odin. When paired with a warm source they are never harsh for me, but on a more neutral source I do apply some EQ at times. But overall, the EVO is a great choice for rock and metal, IMHO.

Feb 22, 2022 at 9:42 PM Post #35,097 of 40,664
I enjoyed them back when I heard them as part of a tour, but they were never really well received if I recall, the price being a turn-off as well. I regret not grabbing these when they were going for about half price on the classifieds. It has been a while since I’ve seen one pop up, I assume because current owners realize what great IEMs they are.
Yep. They were misjudged due to folks not powering them properly.

Feb 22, 2022 at 9:51 PM Post #35,099 of 40,664
O
I have EVO and MEST2, and think they can easily coexist since they are very complementary.
not sure though about X, since never listened to those.
I agree, they can coexist but I feel like the Odin and EVO can also be a great combo. Personally, the EVO and Odin are a better high def / detail pairing and UM doesn’t make bass within the realm of even the lowest tier EE stuff aka Bravado. The LX and Odin work well just like the EVO and LX.

I’ve always prioritized bass as it’s the hardest frequency to master as far as IEM’s are concerned. If bass is the foundation of what you use as a gauge for the impact and feel of real music, EE owns that front. That being said, the LX is a timeless classic that seems to age like fine wine.

Feb 22, 2022 at 9:59 PM Post #35,100 of 40,664
O

I agree, they can coexist but I feel like the Odin and EVO can also be a great combo. Personally, the EVO and Odin are a better high def / detail pairing and UM doesn’t make bass within the realm of even the lowest tier EE stuff aka Bravado. The LX and Odin work well just like the EVO and LX.

I’ve always prioritized bass as it’s the hardest frequency to master as far as IEM’s are concerned. If bass is the foundation of what you use as a gauge for the impact and feel of real music, EE owns that front. That being said, the LX is a timeless classic that seems to age like fine wine.

Have you tried both the Odin and the EVO? How does the fit compare? The Odin is at the threshold that I can tolerate for my small ears

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back