Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Sep 25, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #38,701 of 40,675
image.jpg
UPDATE!! I TAKE BACK EVERYTHING I SAID, I WENT TO TAKE OUT THE CONNECTOR TO PROVE A POINT, AND IT INSTANTLY BROKE…😅 yeah, I do not get this

Glad to see I am not the only one who experienced this. This cable might as well be fixed and not removable at this point.

People freak out when their smart phones don't work properly. This really is not acceptable for a $4k IEM, but I do have confidence that EE will address it. As mentioned in other posts, i've had 4 EE TOTL IEM's now and none of them have had any problems. I do keep my IEM and DAP in a tumi pouch, but it's not like I baby them.

Sep 25, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #38,702 of 40,675
Yeah that’s a completely fair use case.

Out of curiosity, has anyone that has Raven successfully cable rolled yet? Two cases so far could still be considered an isolated issue so curious to see if it’s a possible design flaw.
I cabled rolled the heck out of an early demo unit that was just bare acrylic without any lacquer coating. I didn't have any problems doing so. I was also extremely careful as they were an early proto and I would never want to damage anything like that not knowing if it's 1 of 1 etc..

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #38,703 of 40,675
I am sorry but the way this unfolded is actually hilarious. 😭 EE shells in general are definitely thinner, I was nervous cable rolling odyssey. Hopefully you guys get this sorted asap.
No problem on the odyssey. I tried it with the cable that came with the legend evo and PW Audio First Time several times.

Sep 25, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #38,704 of 40,675
Glad to see I am not the only one who experienced this. This cable might as well be fixed and not removable at this point.

People freak out when their smart phones don't work properly. This really is not acceptable for a $4k IEM, but I do have confidence that EE will address it. As mentioned in other posts, i've had 4 EE TOTL IEM's now and none of them have had any problems. I do keep my IEM and DAP in a tumi pouch, but it's not like I baby them.
Glad I bailed out of the launch edition… yikes…

Sep 25, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #38,705 of 40,675
As someone who has worked with a lot of resin, anything under 1mm thick is destined to break. Really hope these guys figured that out now since this is going to be a pretty expensive lesson.

The iem is gorgeous but that is not 1mm at all.
I didn't get this. Possible to show visually what you mean, on possibly one of the broken IEMs?

Sep 25, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #38,706 of 40,675
I didn't get this. Possible to show visually what you mean, on possibly one of the broken IEMs?
Absolutely! Usually for iem's, you want to have the connector part thicker and not as thin as it is featured in this image:
sdfsag.png

Judging by the looks, they aren't even using the part to lock the connector in place, which imo is lazy design. No they have done a locking mechanism, just very hard to see so sorry about that. However, I do hope they can address the thin walls. I work for companies to make iems and have spent about 2 years of my own work developing personal ones. I am not a tuning expert, but I specialize in shapes and fit. (Worked with symphonium and nightjar as notable names)

It looks to be about 0.8mm or under, which is not good as that resin type used is very brittle. The resin used too requires to be slightly thicker than usual and so. Not saying these guys don't know what they're doing, seems like cost cutting maneuver which if you plan on making a 4k iem, atleast make it durable.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #38,707 of 40,675
Yeah that’s a completely fair use case.

Out of curiosity, has anyone that has Raven successfully cable rolled yet? Two cases so far could still be considered an isolated issue so curious to see if it’s a possible design flaw.
Actually we have 2 demo units. One black and one gold. Both have been in use for weeks now including frequent cable switches. No problem so far. In any case we have contacted EE as well to clarify the situation and will hopefully get an answer soon.

Sep 25, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #38,708 of 40,675
Absolutely! Usually for iem's, you want to have the connector part thicker and not as thin as it is featured in this image:
sdfsag.png
Judging by the looks, they aren't even using the part to lock the connector in place, which imo is lazy design. No they have done a locking mechanism, just very hard to see so sorry about that. However, I do hope they can address the thin walls. I work for companies to make iems and have spent about 2 years of my own work developing personal ones. I am not a tuning expert, but I specialize in shapes and fit. (Worked with symphonium and nightjar as notable names)

It looks to be about 0.8mm or under, which is not good as that resin type used is very brittle. The resin used too requires to be slightly thicker than usual and so. Not saying these guys don't know what they're doing, seems like cost cutting maneuver which if you plan on making a 4k iem, atleast make it durable.
Thanks for this. Just to make sure we are on the same page "resin" refers to the shell of the IEM, right?

Sep 25, 2023 at 11:52 AM Post #38,710 of 40,675
Thanks for this. Just to make sure we are on the same page "resin" refers to the shell of the IEM, right?
Yes, it is. Sorry I can be a bit poor at explaining things haha.
The resin, being the main shell material, typically is very brittle. It's normally suggested if you plan on making something from resin, 1mm or more wall thickness is needed on *any* type of material for walls. There are various types of resin, and in this case, ear safe ones are not super strong. In general, it isn't a strong material.

Sep 25, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #38,711 of 40,675
Hey guys – just dropping in regarding the cable connection issue since a few of you purchased your units from Bloom Audio.

From our experience with previous EE IEMs, we've had a small number of issues related to the 2-pin connector tension (the 0.75 vs 0.78 issue mentioned in the video that Jack Vang made) and the internal pressure in the IEM which is related to bone conduction performance (I'd say 2-3 warranty/RMA claims from customers since the launch of the Legend EVO). In the office, we did a ton of cable rolling with our Raven demo unit, including multiple in person demos which involved 3-4 cables swaps each. Just during my review, I used the stock cable, Effect Audio Fusion, Eletech Ode to Laura, Iliad, and the PW Audio Cable from the Legend EVO at various points.

I'm really sorry to hear that some people are having issues with the cable connection, and we're doing our best to communicate with EE, and with any of our impacted customers (RIP @tjzurlaaa ). Based on our experience with our Raven demo unit, I don't think this is going to be a universal problem, but it's clearly an issue for some units. If you ordered from us and have any concerns, definitely reach out and let us know. We'll do our best to relay any additional info we get from Jack or EE to the community.
Hi Stephen, just out of curiosity. If I purchased at Bloom with overseas shipping and something like this happened. Would I be covered by full warranty just like U.S. customers and how would you handle this? (looking at your faqs you don't seem to be too happy to ship outside the U.S., still asking out of interest...)

Thanks.

Sep 25, 2023 at 12:15 PM Post #38,712 of 40,675
I prefer using pinching technique when I remove the cable from the shell so the force only applied on a concentrated area rather than using a wiggling technique because I don't want to bend the pin and put more stress on the shell.
To be honest. I would never ever wiggle. Pinching is a lot better. I'll try to upload a video later.

Sep 25, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #38,713 of 40,675
I prefer using pinching technique when I remove the cable from the shell so the force only applied on a concentrated area rather than using a wiggling technique because I don't want to bend the pin and put more stress on the shell.

Exactly! But if you look at Jack's video, he wants you to wiggle it. Based on my experience, this will lead to damage of the pins or ripping the pins out of the cable.

Sep 25, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #38,714 of 40,675
Not to put oil to the fire but the nozle on my Odin also broke at one time.

I dont have a picture of the crack but here you can see the repair.

I love them to death, but sheesh its a little brittle.

IMG_2240.jpeg

Sep 25, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #38,715 of 40,675
Hi Stephen, just out of curiosity. If I purchased at Bloom with overseas shipping and something like this happened. Would I be covered by full warranty just like U.S. customers and how would you handle this? (looking at your faqs you don't seem to be too happy to ship outside the U.S., still asking out of interest...)

Thanks.

Only some of our brands ship outside the US; we only ship Empire Ears to the US at this time.

Bloom Audio Headphones and Personal Audio with Pitch Perfect Service. Stay updated on Bloom Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/BloomAudioStore https://twitter.com/BloomAudioStore https://www.instagram.com/BloomAudioStore https://bloomaudio.com hello@bloomaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back