Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Sep 25, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #38,716 of 40,675
Hey guys – just dropping in regarding the cable connection issue since a few of you purchased your units from Bloom Audio.

From our experience with previous EE IEMs, we've had a small number of issues related to the 2-pin connector tension (the 0.75 vs 0.78 issue mentioned in the video that Jack Vang made) and the internal pressure in the IEM which is related to bone conduction performance (I'd say 2-3 warranty/RMA claims from customers since the launch of the Legend EVO). In the office, we did a ton of cable rolling with our Raven demo unit, including multiple in person demos which involved 3-4 cables swaps each. Just during my review, I used the stock cable, Effect Audio Fusion, Eletech Ode to Laura, Iliad, and the PW Audio Cable from the Legend EVO at various points.

I'm really sorry to hear that some people are having issues with the cable connection, and we're doing our best to communicate with EE, and with any of our impacted customers (RIP @tjzurlaaa ). Based on our experience with our Raven demo unit, I don't think this is going to be a universal problem, but it's clearly an issue for some units. If you ordered from us and have any concerns, definitely reach out and let us know. We'll do our best to relay any additional info we get from Jack or EE to the community.
To be fair, EVO is out for ages now. But there are but very few Ravens out in the wild still (due to the issues with the release).

So already having 2 broken (that we know of) is not really a good comparison to the EVO.

Not bashing or anything, I respect you open communicate here.

I preordered the Raven as well and truly I am/was excited for it. But this situation has me worried for the long run and im hearing nothing to take away that worry yet.

An acknowledgment from EE would be appreciated. With mention of the ability to cable roll

(Just my 2 cents, I know everyone is of best intend and no one wants to see this happen)

Sep 25, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #38,717 of 40,675
To be fair, EVO is out for ages now. But there are but very few Ravens out in the wild still (due to the issues with the release).

So already having 2 broken (that we know of) is not really a good comparison to the EVO.

Not bashing or anything, I respect you open communicate here.

I preordered the Raven as well and truly I am/was excited for it. But this situation has me worried for the long run and im hearing nothing to take away that worry yet.

An acknowledgment from EE would be appreciated. With mention of the ability to cable roll

(Just my 2 cents, I know everyone is of best intend and no one wants to see this happen)
I can attest that my Evos have dealt very well with abuse. One of my dogs finds it funny to steal them out of my ears and run off. -.-

Sep 25, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #38,718 of 40,675
Hey guys – just dropping in regarding the cable connection issue since a few of you purchased your units from Bloom Audio.

From our experience with previous EE IEMs, we've had a small number of issues related to the 2-pin connector tension (the 0.75 vs 0.78 issue mentioned in the video that Jack Vang made) and the internal pressure in the IEM which is related to bone conduction performance (I'd say 2-3 warranty/RMA claims from customers since the launch of the Legend EVO). In the office, we did a ton of cable rolling with our Raven demo unit, including multiple in person demos which involved 3-4 cables swaps each. Just during my review, I used the stock cable, Effect Audio Fusion, Eletech Ode to Laura, Iliad, and the PW Audio Cable from the Legend EVO at various points.

I'm really sorry to hear that some people are having issues with the cable connection, and we're doing our best to communicate with EE, and with any of our impacted customers (RIP @tjzurlaaa ). Based on our experience with our Raven demo unit, I don't think this is going to be a universal problem, but it's clearly an issue for some units. If you ordered from us and have any concerns, definitely reach out and let us know. We'll do our best to relay any additional info we get from Jack or EE to the community.

Thank you @stephenkostas for the transparency and acknowledgement of the issue. I would also like to add that the folks at headphones.com immediately jumped onto my RMA claim this morning and sent a replacement out for delivery tomorrow. In addition, they were in contact with EE who authorized the return. Thanks @Jack Vang and headphones.com for expediting this!

This is great, but I am not sure how comfortable I am with swapping the cable on the replacement unit.

Sep 25, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #38,719 of 40,675
Got mine yesterday but listened to them in stock form. Wanted to make sure my unit wasn’t bad since all hell is breaking loose. So far mine seems to handle plugging and unplugging without issue. One side was tighter than the other but nothing crazy.

Sep 25, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #38,720 of 40,675
Got mine yesterday but listened to them in stock form. Wanted to make sure my unit wasn’t bad since all hell is breaking loose. So far mine seems to handle plugging and unplugging without issue. One side was tighter than the other but nothing crazy.
Are you a wiggler or a pincher?

Sep 25, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #38,724 of 40,675
Thank you @stephenkostas for the transparency and acknowledgement of the issue. I would also like to add that the folks at headphones.com immediately jumped onto my RMA claim this morning and sent a replacement out for delivery tomorrow. In addition, they were in contact with EE who authorized the return. Thanks @Jack Vang and headphones.com for expediting this!

This is great, but I am not sure how comfortable I am with swapping the cable on the replacement unit.
Do change the cable please. I will hand a new unit to a customer tomorrow and we'll test it as well with different cables. Only way to find out if this was just an exception. I tend to believe that right now but I will test myself and ask customers to test.

In our 3 years as EE dealer, there have been 2 cases of a damaged shell:

1) a customer forcibly wiggled out the cable of his custom LX and there shell broke. He admitted to have used a lot of force. EE fixed his unit for free although it was admittedly his fault. This customer has almost all EE IEMs and no issues so far.

2) a singer of a band who stepped on his custom Odin after a concert. The shell was not even scratched but some drivers were loose. Again EE fixed it without charging for it.
He purchased a second pair of Odin's after that.

I am not saying EE are perfect but they do have a track record of excellent quality and customer service so far. If there is any issue, they will fix it for all affected customers.

I am also sure they will address this very soon. In any case, this must be thoroughly examined of course.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #38,725 of 40,675
Only way to find out if this was just an exception.
There are what 400 units of Launch Edition worldwide ? I believe like less than 50 have been sold so far and like less than 10 to the people in this forum.
Out of which 2 have broken in 2 days. You don't call that an exception. An exception is 1 in 400 may be !

Sep 25, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #38,726 of 40,675
Do change the cable please. I will hand a new unit to a customer tomorrow and we'll test it as well with different cables. Only way to find out if this was just an exception. I tend to believe that right now but I will test myself and ask customers to test.

1) a customer forcibly wiggled out the cable of his custom LX and there shell broke. He admitted to have used a lot of force. EE fixed his unit for free although it was admittedly his fault. This customer has almost all EE IEMs and no issues so far.

2) a singer of a band who stepped on his custom Odin after a concert. The shell was not even scratched but some drivers were loose. Again EE fixed it without charging for it.

I am not saying EE are perfect but they do have a track record of excellent quality and customer service so far. If there is any issue, they will fix it for all affected customers.

I am also sure they will address this very soon. In any case, this must be thoroughly examined of course.
Good to know they have great customer service.
This is super important and should definitely be the norm for all manufacturers of such expensive (hobby) equipment.

Sep 25, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #38,727 of 40,675
There are what 400 units of Launch Edition worldwide ? I believe like less than 50 have been sold so far and like less than 10 to the people in this forum.
Out of which 2 have broken in 2 days. You don't call that an exception. An exception is 1 in 400 may be !
I said testing is the only way to find out if... I did not say that it is just an exception. I am all for examination to find out what's wrong.
I hope that my reply would have made this clear. We would never accept any compromise on quality. Not at this price point and not at lower price points at that.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #38,728 of 40,675
I said testing is the only way to find out if... I did not say that it is just an exception. I am all for examination to find out what's wrong.
I hope that my reply would have made this clear. We would never accept any compromise on quality. Not at this price point and not at lower price points at that.
I appreciate your communication and honesty, Tom and you know it even though we only communicated once :wink:
Anyways I will get my Raven soon according to my dealer and then let's see if it breaks. Obviously no one is going to force pull the cable out to see if it breaks and whoever has been in this forum will be extra cautious while doing that.

Sep 25, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #38,729 of 40,675
This is especially really messed up for someone like me that went through afirm financing to purchase the raven as I now still have to pay a affirm deductible/restock fee just to return which is another couple hundred dollars 💵 👋🏼🤦🏻‍♂️

Sep 25, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #38,730 of 40,675

This why companies like Empire Ears and 64audio both rock IMO. Their customer service is excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back