Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Sep 26, 2023 at 9:38 PM Post #38,851 of 40,609
Anyone else notice an issue with their set showing signs of being over polished? You have to view it with the right lighting but this finish is not what I’d expect at this price. Curious to hear from other owners.

Attachments

• IMG_1352.jpeg
    IMG_1352.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1351.jpeg
    IMG_1351.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Sep 26, 2023 at 9:42 PM Post #38,852 of 40,609
Anyone else notice an issue with their set showing signs of being over polished? You have to view it with the right lighting but this finish is not what I’d expect at this price. Curious to hear from other owners.
Oh no….

Sep 26, 2023 at 9:46 PM Post #38,853 of 40,609
Oh no….
I was hoping it was just smudges when I unboxed but after my first listening session I went to clean them and ya, that ain’t coming out. That’s a polish job with a rotary tool and a heavy hand.

Sep 26, 2023 at 9:52 PM Post #38,854 of 40,609
Good evening from Atlanta! I see the posts and I understand the concerns. I just want to quickly point out a few things:

1. Cable Rolling Technique - Prior to my recent update, we had not provided specific guidance on cable rolling with our products. We recognize this oversight. Rest assured, those affected will receive a replacement unit either from their dealer or us directly.

2. Guidance Included - From here on, each RAVEN unit will include a detailed guide on proper cable handling. We encourage all users to familiarize themselves with this guide, which encapsulates the points discussed here.

3. Breaking in the socket - We will be pre-enlarging the sockets on all forthcoming units and will also undertake a few rounds of cable rolling to confirm overall integrity. This adjustment in our Standard Operating Procedure is designed to minimize potential challenges for future owners.

4. For Current Owners - Dealers have been instructed to return any RAVENs in their inventory for the socket enlargement. Current owners can also avail of this service at no cost, including ground shipping. Interested parties should email me directly at Jack@Empireears.com with Leasah at support@empireears.com, accompanied by a purchase receipt.

5. For Secondhand Owners - We understand that circumstances vary but we're here to assist. Please reach out with warranty-related concerns, and we'll endeavor to support you. However, we do urge users to treat their units with care and not test their limits.

6. Socket Design and Shell Wall Thickness:

The issues some users have faced with RAVEN aren’t indicative of a design flaw. As mentioned the wall tolerances, a standard we've upheld for nearly a decade, have been tweaked slightly to be even slightly thicker in the RAVEN to accommodate the stainless steel faceplate. The main challenges arise from cable rolling and I totally get it.

image (1).png

Take a look at the RAVEN’s design specifics: the socket, which you can see highlighted in red above, is anchored solely by the shell walls. This particular design choice was deliberate, marrying acoustics, ergonomics, and the strategic use of the interior space for components. From the feedback we’ve gathered over its developmental phase, it was evident that alternatives like a protruding socket or an even larger shell wouldn't sit well as the unit itself is already large enough. It is 3D printed resin and as such this design necessitates mindful handling. Any forceful or off-angle actions can jeopardize the unit.

I want to highlight that our comprehensive tradeshow tests, conducted across China, Taiwan, Japan, Korea, Hong Kong, and London with multiple RAVEN units, experienced no issues. If you are attending the SoCal CanJam event this weekend, we warmly invite you to personally test out cable rolling with RAVEN.

Regarding the launch delays, I deeply regret the setbacks we've encountered. As I write this, I am surrounded by over 5XX RAVEN units awaiting their final touch with a faceplate. We are commencing production for the standard edition and are determined to expedite the shipment of as many units as possible.

I genuinely thank you all for your unwavering support. I'm profoundly sorry for the delays, and I deeply regret any disappointment we may have caused. Your patience and understanding are truly appreciated.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2023 at 9:55 PM Post #38,855 of 40,609
I was hoping it was just smudges when I unboxed but after my first listening session I went to clean them and ya, that ain’t coming out. That’s a polish job with a rotary tool and a heavy hand.

I've reached out to you directly to arrange a replacement via PM

Sep 26, 2023 at 10:06 PM Post #38,856 of 40,609
Good evening from Atlanta! I see the posts and I understand the concerns. I just want to quickly point out a few things:

1. Cable Rolling Technique - Prior to my recent update, we had not provided specific guidance on cable rolling with our products. We recognize this oversight. Rest assured, those affected will receive a replacement unit either from their dealer or us directly.

2. Guidance Included - From here on, each RAVEN unit will include a detailed guide on proper cable handling. We encourage all users to familiarize themselves with this guide, which encapsulates the points discussed here.

3. Breaking in the socket - We will be pre-enlarging the sockets on all forthcoming units and will also undertake a few rounds of cable rolling to confirm overall integrity. This adjustment in our Standard Operating Procedure is designed to minimize potential challenges for future owners.

4. For Current Owners - Dealers have been instructed to return any RAVENs in their inventory for the socket enlargement. Current owners can also avail of this service at no cost, including ground shipping. Interested parties should email me directly at Jack@Empireears.com with Leasah at support@empireears.com, accompanied by a purchase receipt.

5. For Secondhand Owners - We understand that circumstances vary but we're here to assist. Please reach out with warranty-related concerns, and we'll endeavor to support you. However, we do urge users to treat their units with care and not test their limits.

The issues some users have faced with RAVEN aren’t indicative of a design flaw. As mentioned the wall tolerances, a standard we've upheld for nearly a decade, have been tweaked slightly to be even slightly thicker in the RAVEN to accommodate the stainless steel faceplate. The main challenges arise from cable rolling and I totally get it.

image (1).png

Take a look at the RAVEN’s design specifics: the socket, which you can see highlighted in red above, is anchored solely by the shell walls. This particular design choice was deliberate, marrying acoustics, ergonomics, and the strategic use of the interior space for components. From the feedback we’ve gathered over its developmental phase, it was evident that alternatives like a protruding socket or an even larger shell wouldn't sit well as the unit itself is already large enough. It is 3D printed resin and as such this design necessitates mindful handling. Any forceful or off-angle actions can jeopardize the unit.

I want to highlight that our comprehensive tradeshow tests, conducted across China, Taiwan, Japan, Korea, Hong Kong, and London with multiple RAVEN units, experienced no issues. If you are attending the SoCal CanJam event this weekend, we warmly invite you to personally test out cable rolling with RAVEN.

Regarding the launch delays, I deeply regret the setbacks we've encountered. As I write this, I am surrounded by over 5XX RAVEN units awaiting their final touch with a faceplate. We are commencing production for the standard edition and are determined to expedite the shipment of as many units as possible.

I genuinely thank you all for your unwavering support. I'm profoundly sorry for the delays, and I deeply regret any disappointment we may have caused. Your patience and understanding are truly appreciated.
I am looking to possibly purchase another limited edition Raven even after the damage because I do think what you guys did to the sound of that thing is nothing short of incredible but I do have some concern and I’m wondering if you guys would be able to extend the warranty for at least the launch addition units

Sep 26, 2023 at 10:10 PM Post #38,857 of 40,609
Don’t need to be an owner to chime in.. that’s someone getting wayyyy too aggressive with a polisher. Same happens to car paint. Definitely get that sucker swapped out.

Edit: Saw Jack is handling it after my post lol. Good stuff.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2023 at 10:25 PM Post #38,858 of 40,609
I am looking to possibly purchase another limited edition Raven even after the damage because I do think what you guys did to the sound of that thing is nothing short of incredible but I do have some concern and I’m wondering if you guys would be able to extend the warranty for at least the launch addition units

I got you. We are extending the warranty for all launch edition RAVENs from one year to two years.

Sep 26, 2023 at 10:31 PM Post #38,859 of 40,609
I got you. We are extending the warranty for all launch edition RAVENs from one year to two years.
Can you speak to what sort of thermal testing you’ve done with your multi-material design? I’ve shown pictures of the damage seen to a few other engineers and we’re all in agreement that what’s happening looks to be caused by the mating of a stainless plate to a resin shell without adequate tolerances for thermal expansion/contraction. Would love to be wrong, and am curious if you’ve directly tested this.

Super important given that during transit an IEM can experience temperatures ranging from -20 to 140 Fahrenheit.

Sep 26, 2023 at 10:32 PM Post #38,860 of 40,609
On the bright side, Empire is so confident of the cable pairing with iem they made the iem self destruct if you try to cable swap.

Clearly, too many of us Odin owners swapped out the Stormbreaker 😂
Swapped out Stormbreaker and swapped in PW 1960 2w. Some say same cable but imho 1960 a bit smoother in the upper mids.

Sep 26, 2023 at 10:47 PM Post #38,861 of 40,609
Awesome ! :) Really looking forward to the improvement on the two pin sockets! I’m sure you guys will handle it perfectly. Thank you so much for responding and addressing the issue. 👍🏼🥳

Sep 26, 2023 at 10:58 PM Post #38,863 of 40,609

image (1).png

I appreciate this, thanks! Sticking to my Raven order.

Sep 26, 2023 at 11:21 PM Post #38,864 of 40,609
So more delay then 🥲
But for peace of mind when cable rolling I don't mind. I just hope it doesn't take too long 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back