Epiphany Acoustics E-DAC / JDSlabs ODAC / Head 'n' Hifi ODAC / ~ discussion
May 5, 2012 at 5:34 AM Post #31 of 68
Quote:

I found another ODAC seller, in Switzerland - http://headnhifi.com/

He's currently in Lombok, Indonesia but will be back on the 2nd of May, added to thread title.

nice one kiteki 
beerchug.gif

May 6, 2012 at 6:44 AM Post #32 of 68
^ No problemo. =]

Thanks Taowolf51. I'll look forward to more info on his next blog update. Doesn't sound like it'll be a sound quality improvement modification, pity.

The theory is it's already surpassed all sound quality improvements, unless you want to colour the sound.  If you think you can improve on the sound quality, that's up to you to find out.

May 6, 2012 at 7:20 AM Post #33 of 68
Quote:
The theory is it's already surpassed all sound quality improvements, unless you want to colour the sound.  If you think you can improve on the sound quality, that's up to you to find out.

I was under the impression that the O2 was designed to be audibly transparent using low cost, run-of-the-mill components, achieving a great price performance ratio. I read that the ODA is supposed to use a more ideal power supply, which NwAvGuy claimed will improve the sound quality. I hoped that the O2 modification was of a similar nature, given that it was apparently concerning power supply components.

I'm not an electrical engineer nor do I intend to personally improve upon the O2 design. I'm just excited about the performance and affordability of the O2 and would love to see further improvements as well as encourage those talented people to continually strive to improve their products.

May 6, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #34 of 68
Lombok ? I hope he's not at the surf camp where they have tigers prowling the jungle at night. 

May 6, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #35 of 68
Originally Posted by temporaryname /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I read that the ODA is supposed to use a more ideal power supply, which NwAvGuy claimed will improve the sound quality. I hoped that the O2 modification was of a similar nature, given that it was apparently concerning power supply components.

Oh I see, actually I didn't realise the ODA had improved on the O2 in sound quality.

May 7, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #36 of 68
[quote name="temporaryname" url="/t/607975/epiphany-acoustics-e-dac-jdslabs-odac-head-n-hifi-odac-discussion/30#post_8362775"
I was under the impression that the O2 was designed to be audibly transparent using low cost, run-of-the-mill components, achieving a great price performance ratio. I read that the ODA is supposed to use a more ideal power supply, which NwAvGuy claimed will improve the sound quality. I hoped that the O2 modification was of a similar nature, given that it was apparently concerning power supply components.

I'm not an electrical engineer nor do I intend to personally improve upon the O2 design. I'm just excited about the performance and affordability of the O2 and would love to see further improvements as well as encourage those talented people to continually strive to improve their products.
[/quote]

- The O2 is designed to be audibly transparent according to measured criteria (if you believe in them)
- The ODA is supposed to run another power supply, that would be theoretically better (but wouldn't bring any audible benefit since the O2 is already transparent anyway)
- Another gain structure so it's not as fiddly as the O2.

@kiteki, the ES9018 on the DX100 and the ES9023 on the ODAC aren't even remotely similar, there's a 40x price difference between the chips, not to mention the difference in implementation.

May 7, 2012 at 6:51 AM Post #37 of 68
@kiteki, the ES9018 on the DX100 and the ES9023 on the ODAC aren't even remotely similar, there's a 40x price difference between the chips, not to mention the difference in implementation.

http://sites.google.com/site/ackodac/

scroll down until you see "AKD-23S" on the right-hand side, that's the one I'm currently listening to.

I mentioned the DX100 since I was thinking like this...

47075.jpeg
+

versus

20121190272.jpg

(not to scale)

While the DX100 uses the statement chip ES9018 (with DSD support and 7.1 surround sound), they are still similar chips, afaik.

May 7, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #38 of 68

http://sites.google.com/site/ackodac/

scroll down until you see "AKD-23S" on the right-hand side, that's the one I'm currently listening to.

I mentioned the DX100 since I was thinking like this...

47075.jpeg
+

versus

20121190272.jpg

(not to scale)

While the DX100 uses the statement chip ES9018 (with DSD support and 7.1 surround sound), they are still similar chips, afaik.

Do you know how the the ES9023Bis implemented in the AKD-23S and in the ODAC, if you do please explain to me how the implementations are similar.
The measured performance of the ES9023 and the ES9018 aren't even close, enough said.

May 7, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #39 of 68
Quote:

The DX100 runs the ES9018 in 8 channel mode?

confused_face%281%29.gif

May 7, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #41 of 68
May 7, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #42 of 68
May 7, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #43 of 68
Quote:
If they designed it properly, it should, if only to improve SNR.

I meant 8 separate channels since kiteki mentioned 7.1, not where you use the extra hardware channels on the same data channel for the extra SNR.  There's probably a name for that but I can't remember it right now.

May 8, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #45 of 68

The DX100 runs the ES9018 in 8 channel mode?

The ES9012 and ES9018 look identical apart from mono and 8 channel support, either the DX100 supports 8 channel via the optical/coaxial out or they just wanted to make a statement by using the ES9018.  I believe the Japanese version will support DSD/.DSF, thus the first portable SACD/DSD device since Sony's SACD car stereo, some people like to collect SACD only for the multi-channel recordings, and not for esoteric UHF or 1-bit modulation, so I suppose it makes sense to have the ES9018 there.  How 7.1 applies to portable use is another question, but you could always use a Sony or Razer 7.1 surround sound headphone, in theory. =p

(the PS3 7.1 headphone)

Do you know how the the ES9023Bis implemented in the AKD-23S and in the ODAC, if you do please explain to me how the implementations are similar.
The measured performance of the ES9023 and the ES9018 aren't even close, enough said.

I think anyone that believes the ODAC has crossed the line into total transparency will most likely believe the AKD-23S has as well, right? so... these two DAC's should sound identical, edit: from that POV.

Likewise, that indicates the Buffalo DAC using ES9018 will sound identical too, there is only one kind of transparency, i.e. the DAC is "not there".

The most apparent differences I can see, the AKD-23S uses a different USB module (HiFace) and the LME49610.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back