Etymotic Research EVO impressions and discussion thread
Jul 3, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #827 of 1,204
So is the general consensus that the Evo are an upgrade over the ER4 series or is it just another flavour of ety?

Got my ER2SE in while reading this thread.

the impression im getting from the reviews that its more of a "path not taken" compared to the ER4, the ER 4 is purity and tonality, but at the cost of stuff like soundstage, fun bass, , Its meant to be a clean, pure and clean reference grade IEM, then you have the XR version that has a little bit more bass, and now you have the evo which has a more mainstream tuning making it more fun, it does have the technical ability, and it does have the great detail of the ER4, but you pay for the more fun signature with a slight recession in the upper mids regarding the vocals and a bit of treble roll off,

Now, i could be wrong or pulling all this from out of my ass, but the direct impression i got is that they aren't better, they are different IEM´s for different people and different uses.

Jul 3, 2021 at 10:21 PM Post #829 of 1,204
I've heard EVO for quite awhile but haven't started any writings. I would say, EVO is different than the previous Etys i have/had. This time, overall harmonic is mellow. I, myself, don't suggest you to pair EVO with warm source as it tends to overly warm/soft ymmv.

A B with previous ety can give a a quick perception of the previous ety sounds more detailed. However, if you sit and listen. EVO carries all the details as well as the previous ety but in a different way. I would say, EVO has no more "in your face" presentation. Instead, this is musical ety while still doesn't sacrifice detail. Overall frequency for me is fine. Just be aware that, the sense of air on EVO is noticeably less than the previous ety.

Very good points, IMHO. I got an ER4XR recently from Etymotic, and plan on comparing the EVO and ER4XR over the weekend.
From a brief initial listen, I agree that the ER4XR gives the impression of more air, but I think that is mostly true in the low mids (probably because of the extra bass from the 2 extra BAs). I think, and again from very initial listen, that the treble is as airy. More listen time needed for sure! :wink:
After spending some more time today, going back and forth between the EVO and ER4XR, both driven SE (3.5mm) from FiiO M11 DAP:
I agree that to my ears, the EVO is less "in your face" just like @twiceboss describes. I do not think ER4XR is very aggressive at all, but the EVO feels a little more relaxed in comparison.

I am going on a day-trip all day tomorrow (Sunday), but plan on doing more A/B between the EVO and ER4XR later tonight and then resume on Monday.
I plan to post my impressions of the ER4XR next week, and will include comparisons of ER4XR to: EVO, ER4SR, and probably ER3XR too.

Jul 3, 2021 at 11:50 PM Post #830 of 1,204
Is it possible to make EVO sound like ER4B?
Etymotic's awesome tuning kit might suit you, switching to brown filters brightened my er4s quite a bit. :o2smile: A nice bit of customization.

Or u can use dampers from a third party, using their listed impedance as reference, though not all fit the nozzle properly like Ety's does.

Jul 5, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #833 of 1,204
I wonder if the tip of the evo is the exact same dimension as an ER4 series tip?

Because I have some silicon snugs custom molds for ER4 series.

I wonder if the evo would fit them?

Jul 5, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #834 of 1,204
I wonder if the tip of the evo is the exact same dimension as an ER4 series tip?

Because I have some silicon snugs custom molds for ER4 series.

I wonder if the evo would fit them?
They share tips. Though the ergonomics of different tips may change. If your custom molds for your ER4 utilize a shallow insertion depth they likely won’t work too well for the EVO. But if they retain the deep insertion Etymotics are known for, it would work for the EVO too.

Jul 6, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #835 of 1,204
Jul 15, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #836 of 1,204
Good news:
I brought to Etymotic's attention the whole 1-year warranty for EVO (vs. 2-year warranty for ER2/3/4).
Etymotic looked into it, and decided to correct the situation! :)

1626363478527.png

See: https://www.etymotic.com/warranty/

Jul 15, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #837 of 1,204
Good news:
I brought to Etymotic's attention the whole 1-year warranty for EVO (vs. 2-year warranty for ER2/3/4).

1626363478527.png

That's awesome! Best part is I don't think the EVO even needs it, but glad Ety has the confidence to stand behind that anyway.

Jul 15, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #838 of 1,204
Jul 15, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #839 of 1,204
Good news:

1626363478527.png

Fantastic news, thank you! I stayed out of this but I did find a more expensive model with a shorter warranty to be less than ideal. This is a winning move!

Jul 15, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #840 of 1,204
I stayed out of this but I did find a more expensive model with a shorter warranty to be less than ideal.
While staying out of the debate here, I was voicing my concern and opinion to Etymotic... :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back