Etymotic Research EVO impressions and discussion thread
Jul 19, 2021 at 12:50 AM Post #856 of 1,204
My take on this, thanks to @Zachik for the tour unit.

E43B3160.jpg

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/etymotic-evo.25225/reviews#review-26309

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2021 at 5:27 AM Post #857 of 1,204
I own the universal fit version of Evolve, not sure if this is still available.

On a standalone basis, I find the Evolve to be crisp sounding, has a fine balance between details and excitement, and there isn't something that I really dislike sound-wise. I prefer using Evolve to listen to small to medium scale works, such as solo/chamber/mid-scale orchestral works, but not something with a busy & large ensemble. I have a major difficulty in wearing Evolve properly, that's why I don't use them often.

Relative to ER4SR, I find Evolve to sound more rigid, "smaller"/less expansive, and the instruments are less nicely spaced. I won't say ER4SR is better than Evolve, but I like ER4SR more.
Thanks, that helps soothing my choice for the ER4. I was very intruiged once by the custom ACS triple-driver. Then I went for Etymotic instead :darthsmile:

Jul 20, 2021 at 5:37 AM Post #859 of 1,204
Just received my pair of EVOs.
Decent pair of inears!
I have lots of headphones to compare with (Denon AH-D7200, thieaudio phentom, Dali-IO6,
Tin t3, tin t2, tin p1, fiio FH6, couple of KZs)
Just no other Etymotic.
I'm driving them with my Oppo HA-2 (also tested with creative sxfi amp) and I'm really impressed.
Mids and highs are crisp and clear and the bass...maaann...the bass is awesome. You can really hear, that the bass is separated from the rest and it's punchy and really nice. I've listened to lots of different tracks... Classic, jazz, country, electro, RnB and the EVOs can handle pretty much everything.

Well done. I'm happy with my purchase.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #860 of 1,204
The EVO sounds pretty much like what I was expecting with the additional BA drivers. Sounds more dynamic and bass is better articulate, which is what I was hoping for. There is no peakiness in the treble. A bit of vocal emphasis, but not shouty. It highlights vocals for sure.

Right out of the box, I went for wrong size tips, and it sounded off. Dynamics and bass lacking, but with the right tips, I hear the intended sound (which I think is good articulate bass with good subs). I think it's easy to get the wrong impressions of these with the wrong fit/tips, or their ears not being able to get a proper fit. I'm almost one of those ears as I have issues with ER2/3/4 series.

Double flanges didn't work for me with the ER4s, but works for me with the EVO. Foam works for both, but with the EVO, I get the best response out of the double flanges.

I have no luck with other tips like Shure olives or Westone tips. Ety double flanges or foam are it for me.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #861 of 1,204
Congrats to Etymotic for what appears to be a rather successful launch!

@EtyDave apologies for the ping during what must be a busy time, I'm curious as to if it's plausible that will be relatively near-future flagship offerings following the SR tuning, given the R&D already paid into developing the physical bits of the EVO

It's a very good question. It is certainly a possibility, but nothing is etched into stone yet. It could be an SR EVO or a different model entirely. If that is something that you (or anybody else here) wants, I would encourage you to comment and make your voice heard. The SR models don't sell in the quantities that the XR models do, but I know that many folks love them and I personally would like see new models offer that option.

Jul 21, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #862 of 1,204
It's a very good question. It is certainly a possibility, but nothing is etched into stone yet. It could be an SR EVO or a different model entirely. If that is something that you (or anybody else here) wants, I would encourage you to comment and make your voice heard. The SR models don't sell in the quantities that the XR models do, but I know that many folks love them and I personally would like see new models offer that option.
Granted we all have different taste - I would actually vote for a different "next EVO":
I am now working on my ER2XR impressions, and really enjoy their bass! So my vote for next EVO would be yet another Etymotic first - hybrid design!
Dynamic driver for bass, BA for mids and treble (in EVO shell). Think of it as the love child of ER2XR and ER4SR...

One can always hope/dream :ksc75smile:

Jul 21, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #863 of 1,204
Granted we all have different taste - I would actually vote for a different "next EVO":
I am now working on my ER2XR impressions, and really enjoy their bass! So my vote for next EVO would be yet another Etymotic first - hybrid design!
Dynamic driver for bass, BA for mids and treble (in EVO shell). Think of it as the love child of ER2XR and ER4SR...

One can always hope/dream :ksc75smile:
Agree! But why stop there? Let’s have a tribrid! With electrolets to really extend the air!

Jul 21, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #864 of 1,204
Agree! But why stop there? Let’s have a tribrid! With electrolets to really extend the air!
Hahahaha before you know it, it'll be completely unrecognizable for an Ety.

In my opinion, introducing electrets is one of those things I hope does not happen with the Etymotic line. Based on how other manufacturers are using them, it seems they're being very band-limited for use, making it a lot of added cost in parts without a whole lot of reward in the user experience. There are probably more effective ways to work the same sort of top-end extension into an IEM.

Jul 21, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #865 of 1,204
Hahahaha before you know it, it'll be completely unrecognizable for an Ety.

In my opinion, introducing electrets is one of those things I hope does not happen with the Etymotic line. Based on how other manufacturers are using them, it seems they're being very band-limited for use, making it a lot of added cost in parts without a whole lot of reward in the user experience. There are probably more effective ways to work the same sort of top-end extension into an IEM.
Yeah, if you look at the data-sheets, unless you want to go with very uncontrolled response, you'd have to limit the band. Electret response is all over the place. There's a general FR pattern if we look at the chifi iems with Electrets in them.

If Ety sticks their signature response, it really doesn't makes sense to add an electret. I really did not like the general tonal response with electrets. It just sounded something they included to 'work' with electret. Not, use electrets to improve the tuning. It just seems to be a trend than anything else. It's like, 'hey guys, we got electrets inside, look.'

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #866 of 1,204
Yeah, if you look at the data-sheets, unless you want to go with very uncontrolled response, you'd have to limit the band. Electret response is all over the place. There's a general FR pattern if we look at the chifi iems with Electrets in them.

If Ety sticks their signature response, it really doesn't makes sense to add an electret. I really did not like the general tonal response with electrets. It just sounded something they included to 'work' with electret. Not, use electrets to improve the tuning. It just seems to be a trend than anything else. It's like, 'hey guys, we got electrets inside, look.'
In that case, what's your take on the EVO so far? Don't mean to take away from your review material, but I'm curious what the favorability rating on upper midrange and treble response for the EVO is going to be.

And I really wish I'd had this little guy in while I had the EVO in the stable. Point-blank, it's just remarkable. I'd recommend for anybody who still laments the loss of their headphone jack. Best app in the industry, for sure:

PXL_20210721_165648455.jpg

That Qudelix 5K has fantastic headroom, a dead silent background, and LDAC 990 that works flawlessly with my OnePlus 8T. It's positively tearing through some Boogie Belgique at the moment on the B2, but I'll bet this is one heck of an EVO album. Any chance you can give it a spin, @SilverEars ?

Jul 21, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #867 of 1,204
In that case, what's your take on the EVO so far? Don't mean to take away from your review material, but I'm curious what the favorability rating on upper midrange and treble response for the EVO is going to be.

And I really wish I'd had this little guy in while I had the EVO in the stable. Point-blank, it's just remarkable. I'd recommend for anybody who still laments the loss of their headphone jack. Best app in the industry, for sure:

PXL_20210721_165648455.jpg

That Qudelix 5K has fantastic headroom, a dead silent background, and LDAC 990 that works flawlessly with my OnePlus 8T. It's positively tearing through some Boogie Belgique at the moment on the B2, but I'll bet this is one heck of an EVO album. Any chance you can give it a spin, @SilverEars ?

You didn't read my short impressions earlier? It has the middy Ety signature, but now with enhanced bass response. It's more dynamic than what I've heard of XR response. No solid opinion yet on treble response. It's definitely not something with sustained treble like shown on the measurements, which shouldn't be a surprise to anybody if they can read measurements.

Jul 21, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #868 of 1,204
You didn't read my short impressions earlier? It has the middy Ety signature, but now with enhanced bass response. It's more dynamic than what I've heard of XR response. No solid opinion yet on treble response. It's definitely not something with sustained treble like shown on the measurements, which shouldn't be a surprise to anybody if they can read measurements.
Must have missed it. I get about 30-50 new notifications every time I hop on at this point, so finally at the point where I tend to miss posts I'd want to read. Need to figure out how to fix that.

Thanks!

Edit: I even liked the post where you mentioned it. I have no excuse...

Jul 21, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #869 of 1,204
Between cost, complexity, and Etymotic losing their "house sound" - I would say let's keep our shared dream for a hybrid. DD and BA only.

Jul 21, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #870 of 1,204
Please, keep it simple. High performance single dynamic driver would be a bliss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back