eXStata DIY Electrostatic Amp for Intermediate DIYers
Feb 17, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #2,342 of 2,970
A few people have experimentally bumped up the bias voltage for the 950 but that's a dangerous game where you risk arcing and perforating the membrane.

Feb 18, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #2,343 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A few people have experimentally bumped up the bias voltage for the 950 but that's a dangerous game where you risk arcing and perforating the membrane.

Yeah, thought 620V is what the ESP950 was designed for. 600V seems might be a good compromise, shouldn't be too much for pro Stax like later model Lambdas. The O2 seems like it can withstand quite a bit higher bias according to reports. 40V doesn't makes as big of a danger it seems on top of 580V like it would on 240V normal bias I would think. So I honestly don't think 620V is going to arc a pro Stax, but don't hold me responsible for what happens, so thats a YMMV. Unless you have a 950, no real reason to bump it higher anyway I feel.

Feb 18, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #2,344 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, thought 620V is what the ESP950 was designed for. 600V seems might be a good compromise, shouldn't be too much for pro Stax like later model Lambdas. The O2 seems like it can withstand quite a bit higher bias according to reports, I honestly don't think 620V is going to arc a pro Stax, but don't hold me responsible for what happens, so thats a YMMV. Unless you have a 950, no real reason to bump it higher anyway.

The manual that came with my 950 specifies 600v. Not saying it wasn't designed with 620v as a target, but if it was, i haven't seen anything to document it.

Feb 18, 2010 at 10:59 AM Post #2,345 of 2,970
Damn it took a long while to read all of this thread.
I am however pretty pumped to get a SS version up and running.

Fingers are getting twitchy already.... finished my balanced B22 in December... starting to see early signs of DIY addiction....

Anyway, I am up for PSU+SS amp boards whenever the next run occurs.
Want to give electrostats a go.

Feb 18, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #2,346 of 2,970
What is the "Stax" recommended bias voltage for the normal bias SR Lambda?
6 Pin plug version.
I think I remember reading somewhere 230v.

Gilmore says 280v

Anyone tried different bias voltages, and any thoughts?

Feb 18, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #2,348 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by awpagan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the "Stax" recommended bias voltage for the normal bias SR Lambda?
6 Pin plug version.
I think I remember reading somewhere 230v.

Gilmore says 280v

Anyone tried different bias voltages, and any thoughts?

If gilmore said 280v it was a typo. normal bias are 230v.

If your bias is too low, the sensitivity drops and it doesn't sound right.

If your bias is too high, there is an increase in sensitivity and an increased risk of damage to the drivers.

So i have to recommend staying close to the designed bias voltages.

Feb 18, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #2,349 of 2,970
Gents, one of the packages that went overseas has returned to me because of an addressing problem. The recipient has agreed that, since he can't readily get components, I can make these boards available to other builders.

There is one SS and one Hybrid board set with matched jfets. Same cost as before. Only new builders and only one board set per person.

Email me at alex@cavalliaudio.com

The first two emails win. But I ask that you buy these with intent to build and use the amp and not to just sell it off to someone else. You may wind up owning a collector's item.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 19, 2010 at 3:00 AM Post #2,354 of 2,970
No more impressions for 6 weeks?

C'mon...

New source lands tomorrow or Monday, so I'll see if this scales up past the $2k level player to something more substantial.

Feb 19, 2010 at 4:30 AM Post #2,355 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No more impressions for 6 weeks?

C'mon...

Didn't know we had an impressions thread in the amp section. I'll certainly add some comments this weekend because I have really grown to love this amp...

Quote:

Originally Posted by runeight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ask that you buy these with intent to build and use the amp and not to just sell it off to someone else. You may wind up owning a collector's item.
smily_headphones1.gif

Wow, a limited edition amp driving limited edition stats... I'm feeling very lucky.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back