Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Jun 9, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #11,191 of 11,509
Hi all. As I mention before I got some Melz 1578 (vintage 1963) and after my first amazedness I noticed they produced some hum, specially more prominent with my higher impedance headphones. The seller said the tubes were never used and they really look like new (see my previous pics). Is common that Melz tubes come noisy (static noise, pops, etc) and require their pins to be re-soldered. I have done this in the past and it worked. These I have re-soldered the pins twice and the hum didn't change at all. What I found interesting is that both tubes produce the same level of hum (I tested them isolated, combined with other silent Melz tubes) which to me cannot be a coincidence. Maybe the tubes are "ok" and the Euforia doesn't like them for some unknown reason.

Has anyone had similar issues with Melz tubes or other tubes or in other tubes amps? I am running out of ideas.

Jun 9, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #11,193 of 11,509
Are you sure you don’t have a ground loop or some other power issue?
Could it be, but should not the same happen with others tubes as well? (for example my other Melz 68NS work silent). One thing I tested was unplugging all my equipment and only let the Euphoria powered, but nothing changed. I will perform further test, like using different cables, etc.....thanks for the tip!

Jun 9, 2023 at 6:01 PM Post #11,194 of 11,509
I double checked my power (conditioner), cables, etc. and is all fine.
But I found something else. The Melz's hum a bit less when I combine them with the TS-6080, instead of the TS-5998.

Jun 10, 2023 at 1:26 AM Post #11,196 of 11,509
Hi all. As I mention before I got some Melz 1578 (vintage 1963) and after my first amazedness I noticed they produced some hum, specially more prominent with my higher impedance headphones. The seller said the tubes were never used and they really look like new (see my previous pics). Is common that Melz tubes come noisy (static noise, pops, etc) and require their pins to be re-soldered. I have done this in the past and it worked. These I have re-soldered the pins twice and the hum didn't change at all. What I found interesting is that both tubes produce the same level of hum (I tested them isolated, combined with other silent Melz tubes) which to me cannot be a coincidence. Maybe the tubes are "ok" and the Euforia doesn't like them for some unknown reason.

Has anyone had similar issues with Melz tubes or other tubes or in other tubes amps? I am running out of ideas.
I had a pair of 63 perf plate Melz tubes and resoldered the pins like 5-6 times with no luck. Interestingly enough I tried them in a separate amp one by one and they did not hum. Only on the Elise they had this odd behavior.

Jun 11, 2023 at 3:23 AM Post #11,198 of 11,509
Interesting. Have you tried them with the stock Sovteks?
Same thing with Sovteks.
I had a pair of 63 perf plate Melz tubes and resoldered the pins like 5-6 times with no luck. Interestingly enough I tried them in a separate amp one by one and they did not hum. Only on the Elise they had this odd behavior.
On the 6sn7 thread someone also had this with the Melz. Hum in one amp and silent in other. Is it maybe 63' a faulty year?
Hello,
Leave the Melz pair in for 30-50 hours and then see what happens.
Tubes can always have small side effects like buzzing or other symptoms when they are new.

My 6v6 always hummed a little when they were new and disappeared after a while of running in.
Thanks for the tip. I'll give the tubes the last chance with that.

Jun 13, 2023 at 7:05 AM Post #11,199 of 11,509
Just tried using Euforia EVO as a pre-amp to my SS amp (Violectric V281).........it sounds so great!!
I just tested this combo with my ZMF Caldera so far, the sound is so much more immersive, with a bigger soundstage (both deeper and taller).
Instruments positioning and sound layering are obviously better than both amps used alone (though no slouches themselves).

My next experiment from here is to try different tubes.
Do both driver tubes and power tubes contribute to sound difference when the amp is being used as a pre-amp?
I think I read somewhere here that it is not the case?

Jun 13, 2023 at 8:30 AM Post #11,200 of 11,509
Just tried using Euforia EVO as a pre-amp to my SS amp (Violectric V281).........it sounds so great!!
I just tested this combo with my ZMF Caldera so far, the sound is so much more immersive, with a bigger soundstage (both deeper and taller).
Instruments positioning and sound layering are obviously better than both amps used alone (though no slouches themselves).
May I ask you which driver tubes did you use and what volume did you set on the Euforia.
I tried that too with my Bliss amp but I could barely notice any differences. I am still puzzled why it didn't work for me.
My next experiment from here is to try different tubes.
Do both driver tubes and power tubes contribute to sound difference when the amp is being used as a pre-amp?
I think I read somewhere here that it is not the case?
Only drivers tubes are used in preamp mode.

Jun 13, 2023 at 9:45 AM Post #11,201 of 11,509
May I ask you which driver tubes did you use and what volume did you set on the Euforia.
I tried that too with my Bliss amp but I could barely notice any differences. I am still puzzled why it didn't work for me.

Only drivers tubes are used in preamp mode.
Thanks.

I'm still using the stock driver tubes: Psvane CV-181MK2
They are not bad at the moment, but I might start looking at some not too expensive 6SN7 tubes to compare.

Jun 19, 2023 at 7:43 AM Post #11,202 of 11,509
Received new tubes today.
Bendix 6080 and Linlai E-6SN7 play really nicely together. Enjoying the sound right our of box.
But I'm a little curious why the markings on the Bendix tubes are both facing backwards? Is that normal?🤷
20230619_163801.jpg

Jun 19, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #11,203 of 11,509
Received new tubes today.
Bendix 6080 and Linlai E-6SN7 play really nicely together. Enjoying the sound right our of box.
But I'm a little curious why the markings on the Bendix tubes are both facing backwards? Is that normal?🤷
20230619_163801.jpg
In my experience tube labels vary enormously in position, even within same month and year of manufacture.

Jun 19, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #11,204 of 11,509
Finally went out and bought a pair of A grade Sophia electric KT88 tubes. Very good tubes!! incredibly spacious and balanced, and the treble is more controlled with my Atrium. 100% would recommend, best tube I’ve tried. My girlfriend cried listening to music I’ve forced her to listen to many times. They’re just so involving.

55BB30E7-B028-413A-9ED0-7DEB8C71E516.jpeg

Jun 19, 2023 at 7:04 PM Post #11,205 of 11,509
Finally went out and bought a pair of A grade Sophia electric KT88 tubes. Very good tubes!! incredibly spacious and balanced, and the treble is more controlled with my Atrium. 100% would recommend, best tube I’ve tried. My girlfriend cried listening to music I’ve forced her to listen to many times. They’re just so involving.

55BB30E7-B028-413A-9ED0-7DEB8C71E516.jpeg
Hey there, do you find the Atrium to have recessed mids?
I've been using the Focal Clear with my Euforia, which is great, but am thinking to whether get a high impedance headphones to get the most out of the amp.
Atrium open/closed is an option, but I listen to vocal music a lot, I don't want something that has too recessed mids.
Any advice please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back