Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Aug 13, 2022 at 12:48 AM Post #10,561 of 11,472
I have problems with EL12 spez as power tubes.
Super loud hum, seems to not be compatible with the amp. I did try several pairs, all had the same problem. @Deyan said they might be self oscillating. What can be the cause of that ? Are the tubes faulty, the adapters or the Euphoria AE just can't handle them ? Maybe I need to to use EL11 as driver ?

EL11/EL3N is working perfectly as driver tubes for me.
A solution has already been found a few years back for this very problem, as we reported either on the Elise or Euforia threads; it was abated simply by putting any ordinary ferrite choke (3-5mm opening recommended) over the exterior wire going to the top cap. At least this worked for me and the others who had this problem, and it worked so well that the buzz instantly dissolved into silence. But first and foremost, make sure you are using the correct adapter specifically for EL12 Spez and that the connection on the top cap is snug.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2022 at 8:49 AM Post #10,562 of 11,472
A solution has already been found a few years back for this very problem, as we reported either on the Elise or Euforia threads; it was abated simply by putting any ordinary ferrite choke (3-5mm opening recommended) over the exterior wire going to the top cap. At least this worked for me and the others who had this problem, and it worked so well that the buzz instantly dissolved into silence. But first and foremost, make sure you are using the correct adapter specifically for EL12 Spez and that the connection on the top cap is snug.

Absolute silence now. Many thanks.
PXL_20220813_124722801.jpg

I had to put 2 chokes....with 1 choke there was some distortion in the bass. Especially with my old 600ohms beyerdynamic headphone but also present on 300ohm ZMF.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2022 at 11:08 PM Post #10,563 of 11,472
Lucky new owner of a Euforia AE thanks to an awesome fellow member :)

Still in the first few days rolling GEC 2080s and RCA VT231 Smoke Glasses and getting familiar with it but, I'm definitely smitten. Pairs beautifully with the ZMF Atrium.

setup-3-LR.jpgsetup-5-LR.jpg

Aug 14, 2022 at 12:54 AM Post #10,565 of 11,472
You like them better than the PSVane?
I'm trying that this week, haven't matched the GECs with the PSVanes instead of the RCAs yet but it's coming soon! Has been a busy week or two so I'm looking to make up for lost listening time :)

Aug 14, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #10,566 of 11,472
Lucky new owner of a Euforia AE thanks to an awesome fellow member :)

Still in the first few days rolling GEC 2080s and RCA VT231 Smoke Glasses and getting familiar with it but, I'm definitely smitten. Pairs beautifully with the ZMF Atrium.

setup-3-LR.jpgsetup-5-LR.jpg

Beautiful!! Agree, ZMF cans love, love, love tube amplification!
Congrats!

Aug 26, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #10,567 of 11,472
Hey folks, I picked up the Feliks Euforia after I had purchased the Feliks Audio Echo MK II and really liked it's performance and dead silent background. The Feliks Euforia was a definite upgrade from the Feliks Audio Echo MK II in terms of soundstage and that euphonic characteristic that I personally was hearing. My source, which also probably helps here is, iFi Zen Stream > Denafrips Pontus II > Feliks Euforia. So while I was enjoying the sound, I was also dealing with some slight humming noise. This was noticeable when using lower impedance headphones. It had been about 2 weeks of me using the Euforia roughly about 6-8 hours a day. I know the tubes needed some 50 hours of burn-in. I figured it was a tube issue and should of gone away, but was still there. Anyway, I decided to swap tubes around just to see if the humming would change. First I swapped the driver tubes and found that the sound I was hearing was in my right ear and this did not change. Then I swapped the power tubes from right to left and the hum moved. I figured at this point it had to be the stock power tube. I had already been looking online for some of the mention tubes here from this forum thread. I ended up picking up some PNJAN 6080WC and replaced the stock tubes. Now... it is dead silent! So... if anyone else is having this issue, and I know a few have said this here on this forum, try replacing them and see if goes away all together.

Next, I am replacing the driver tubes with some VT-231 which should be here this coming Monday. Anyway, just wanted to share my experience in case this might help anyone else.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2022 at 10:14 PM Post #10,568 of 11,472
Alright so been using the Euforia for a bit today with the new 6080 tubes. After a while I started hearing some random static noise. I look around online and there was this suggestion to lightly tap each tube to see if you hear any crackling or noise when doing so. I did try this and the only thing I notice is that I can hear the tapping noise in my right ear cup when tapping on the right power tube. So, move it over to the left side of the amp and then I tapped it again. This time I can hear it in my left ear cup. I am still a bit new to tubes and tube amplifiers, just want to understand or know... am I dealing with a bad power tube in my case here? Looking for some feedback from some of you veterans in this hobby. It would be much appreciated.

Aug 26, 2022 at 10:37 PM Post #10,569 of 11,472
Alright so been using the Euforia for a bit today with the new 6080 tubes. After a while I started hearing some random static noise. I look around online and there was this suggestion to lightly tap each tube to see if you hear any crackling or noise when doing so. I did try this and the only thing I notice is that I can hear the tapping noise in my right ear cup when tapping on the right power tube. So, move it over to the left side of the amp and then I tapped it again. This time I can hear it in my left ear cup. I am still a bit new to tubes and tube amplifiers, just want to understand or know... am I dealing with a bad power tube in my case here? Looking for some feedback from some of you veterans in this hobby. It would be much appreciated.
I'm not a tube veteran, but it does sound like a bad power tube to me. Should be easy enough to isolate the issue if you swap these power tubes out with another set, maybe stock for example, and see if the static noise disappears.

From what I've seen as well a common solution for some has been to clean the sockets on the amp as well as the pins on the tubes.

Aug 26, 2022 at 10:53 PM Post #10,570 of 11,472
I'm not a tube veteran, but it does sound like a bad power tube to me. Should be easy enough to isolate the issue if you swap these power tubes out with another set, maybe stock for example, and see if the static noise disappears.

From what I've seen as well a common solution for some has been to clean the sockets on the amp as well as the pins on the tubes.
Yea I may look at cleaning the pins and just to be clear I was not hearing any static noise when tapping on the tubes. I was just hearing the tapping noise in the earcup for only one of the power tubes. No other tube was producing any noise into the headphones I was wearing. I will play more with it in the morning. Appreciate the reply.

Aug 31, 2022 at 3:11 AM Post #10,571 of 11,472
A little quiet in here, so I'll post a photo of Euforia AE w/Ken-Rad 6F6G's driving Sylvania VT-115A's. I'd been enjoying European tubes for the last few weeks but I am glad I gave the USA manufactured tubes a chance to shine. Running these into my ZMF Auteur Classic produces a nicely balanced, well-staged, crisp and clean yet euphonic sound:

Ken-Rad 6F6G & Sylvania VT-115A in Euforia AE (8-30-22).jpg

Aug 31, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #10,573 of 11,472
Yes, both tube types require 6V6 to 6AS7 adapters, made by @Deyan. Prices vary but are IME are generally less than equivalently quality 6AS7 of 6NS7.

Aug 31, 2022 at 7:05 PM Post #10,574 of 11,472
Ahh right I think I have them for my KT88 and KT77s.

I've been entertaining the idea of the Sophia Electric KT88, apparently they sound as sweet as 300B, and I prefer new production as I keep getting unlucky with noisy NOS tubes.

Aug 31, 2022 at 7:12 PM Post #10,575 of 11,472
Ahh right I think I have them for my KT88 and KT77s.

I've been entertaining the idea of the Sophia Electric KT88, apparently they sound as sweet as 300B, and I prefer new production as I keep getting unlucky with noisy NOS tubes.
The Sophia KT-88 are nice looking, would love to hear your impressions of sound quality in Euforia AE if you go forward with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back