FiiO FH5 - Quad Driver Hybrid In-Ear Monitors || Knowles Balanced Armature Drivers
Aug 6, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #722 of 2,258
well, as one of those persons, making that reviews, I'll answer that question. I do that because many people asks for it. At the beginning I've skipped that part, and I got tons of comments like "why you cal dat a review, if you even didn't show the package?". So, I've decided to include unboxing, as you can skip unboxing part anyway, and for some people it's an important part of review, and if it's absent, you can't add it.

yep, I'm using that pelican case for tips storage, and fabric case to store IEMs themselves, pretty convenient. And if I got some useless cases of cans, I have my wife, and she's always glad to find some usage for that "useless" things :) For example, pelican cases are great for bijouterie storage, and tin cans are good for beads, threads and needles :)
as for foam — it's a part of presentation, it's anyway important part of IEMs, the more expensive they are. you should feel that it's a worth sing, and if $500 IEMs came wrapped in simple ziplock, it's a no-go.

well, FH5 has one of the biggest accessories set. of course, they could probably add even more, but tips costs about few bucks on Ali, so why add even more?

I get that there's a subjective element to the presentation that's going to vary with every audience member; perhaps I'm in the minority in this community. I understand why reviewers include the packaging in the unboxing, as that's literally part of the process. And I also understand why manufacturers do it, since the initial presentation seems to be important to a great many consumers. I don't personally have much use for that stuff and, as a person who has some experience in the design and manufacturing of consumer electronics goods, has a view into the money that gets deviated from the product and into the other ancillary materials. The ta-da! and marketing congratulations don't do much for me.

I'm not advocating sub-standard packaging - we should use quality materials and effective protection, but there's got to be a happy medium that doesn't make me feel like part of the problem.
I personally appreciated that the Radsone EarStudio ES100 had a plastic enclosure, and came in a simple box. It told me that my money went into the longer-term user experience.

As for the Pelican-style cases, I agree that they are useful for many purposes, and it's become de facto for manufacturers to provide some kind of rugged case, whether it's needed or not. I also think that I can purchase those things separately, and that they have no effect on how the IEMs sound. On the other hand, FiiO was likely aware that these IEMs had shallower insertion depth, and could have provided some options that helped some of us with that.

Aug 6, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #723 of 2,258
On the other hand, FiiO was likely aware that these IEMs had shallower insertion depth, and could have provided some options that helped some of us with that.

well, everything is subjective here, as I really got 0 issues with FH5 fit… but of course I can't scale my personal experience to the whole world
anyway, FiiO ofter responds to feedback (like they did with F9 tight connectors problem), so may be they'll address this

Aug 6, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #724 of 2,258
Your not the only one I have seen "Try." the FH5. And was not impressed by them. I am gonna tell you and people that "try" the actual chance that your hearing them correctly is maybe 20%. Reason why I say this. Unless the tips that was on the FH5 was perfect fitting and optimized for your ears your not going to hear them correct. If you really want to demo them I would actually buy them and give them a good listen at a quiet invoronment for one and then I would actually use more optimized tips for youself.

If you look at the current owners comments and posts. How many do you see actually using the included tips? Not much and the reasoning is. Here is where I think Fiio could have done a much better job. The tips they include is not great. Not bad but not great. Not too many manufacturers actualy put in tips that are worthy of using.

Why do you think we have to resort to using different tips? If the included tips that came with them fit every person then it would be great but the one thing I am gonna tell everyone that 'TRYs these is that your not going to hear them correct on a "try". You have to optimize the sound first. Just some advice. FH5 due to the short nozzle and shallow fit. IMO needs a good few days of listening before you can have a good idea what they are like. I would actually buy them and then return them if you don't like them. I would imagine you would have a different understanding of them after using them for a few days vs."Trying" them. My $.02

I own these and what your saying after trying them does not fit my description of them. I would assume it was due to not having optimzed tips for your ears among other factors. It does sound like your not hearing them correct however.

What I can tell you is that with that with the meshes they are regular IEMs. I removed them the same day the FH5 arrived.

Aug 6, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #725 of 2,258
Ya to be honest I havent even bothered taking the mesh off of mine. I would rather keep that on there. Not that I have gobs of wax floating in my ears or anything like that. Using my silver cable and my double flange tips. It sounds good to the point where I don't feel I have to do any more.

Silver really brings out the bass by the way. Much better texture and overall better detailed. Love how silver sounds with the FH5.

Aug 6, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #726 of 2,258
well, everything is subjective here, as I really got 0 issues with FH5 fit… but of course I can't scale my personal experience to the whole world
anyway, FiiO ofter responds to feedback (like they did with F9 tight connectors problem), so may be they'll address this

I found the FH5's had pretty tight connectors as well, found that a set of terrilium copper cross heads are far better for snug fitting and a bit easier on the removal front

Aug 6, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #727 of 2,258
I found the FH5's had pretty tight connectors as well, found that a set of terrilium copper cross heads are far better for snug fitting and a bit easier on the removal front

yes, we have change the mmcx connector from FH5 to get the best connecting. BTW, the mmcx is still a big challenge to us. maybe we will have to change a better connector in the future.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Aug 6, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #728 of 2,258
yes, we have change the mmcx connector from FH5 to get the best connecting. BTW, the mmcx is still a big challenge to us. maybe we will have to change a better connector in the future.
Do consider 2-pin in the future. Not ideal, but most people who cable roll have a collection of 2-pin connector cables.

Aug 6, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #730 of 2,258
Your not the only one I have seen "Try." the FH5. And was not impressed by them. I am gonna tell you and people that "try" the actual chance that your hearing them correctly is maybe 20%. Reason why I say this. Unless the tips that was on the FH5 was perfect fitting and optimized for your ears your not going to hear them correct. If you really want to demo them I would actually buy them and give them a good listen at a quiet invoronment for one and then I would actually use more optimized tips for youself.

If you look at the current owners comments and posts. How many do you see actually using the included tips? Not much and the reasoning is. Here is where I think Fiio could have done a much better job. The tips they include is not great. Not bad but not great. Not too many manufacturers actualy put in tips that are worthy of using.

Why do you think we have to resort to using different tips? If the included tips that came with them fit every person then it would be great but the one thing I am gonna tell everyone that 'TRYs these is that your not going to hear them correct on a "try". You have to optimize the sound first. Just some advice. FH5 due to the short nozzle and shallow fit. IMO needs a good few days of listening before you can have a good idea what they are like. I would actually buy them and then return them if you don't like them. I would imagine you would have a different understanding of them after using them for a few days vs."Trying" them. My $.02

I own these and what your saying after trying them does not fit my description of them. I would assume it was due to not having optimzed tips for your ears among other factors. It does sound like your not hearing them correct however.

The place I audition was pretty quiet. Almost like library quiet (and lets not talk about some libraries are more noisy than some) so the environment I was in was pretty ideal.
The FH5s fit pretty well too, taking these 2 conditions I can say listening condition was pretty good.

I guess when I listen to IEMs, the first impressions (stock) would determine if I need to give more time, or better tips to enhance my "audition" experience.
in this case, it jsut wasn't the earphones for me. I also listen to the next hybrid down the line (F9?) and felt it had a better balance across the full spectrum.

Aug 7, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #734 of 2,258
we can't used it and also I heard SONY are still looking for another different kind of connector

So typical Sony to change things and make everything un-compatible. I used to love Sony, I really did, specially the signature and the SQ they have but screw* them.
In Argentina if you have a problem with Sony good screw***** luck. Also, to get accessories, extras cables and so more, again, good luck. Support and warranty, yeah sure, but its almost like non-existent. Wait for months for a repair.

In the meantime, now I’m in Canada, I could totally buy Sony lineup again, but I already did that mistake in the past, instead I chose you this time. Your customer service and even prices in Argentina, despite all the problems and the tax escalation we have there, are top notch.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2018 at 1:33 AM Post #735 of 2,258
Had a chance to try the FH5.
On classical, vocal, jazz music that I played, there's always so much midrange all the way to upp midrange, its just isn't a balance sound. there's much clarity though.
I wonder why didn't the DD do some magic into the midrange, and there's so much emphasis on the midrange, the bassline (though audible) doesn't seem to be able to do its magic.

Its just not the sound that I can listen to for long.

Reviews are subjective and I know exactly what shutterbox is saying. I've tried many different tips, and whilst with EQ the FH5 really are great IEMs, their one flaw for me is the sharp rise immediately after 1 kHz. EQ it out and the sharpness goes, and the FH5 elevates from good to great. Obviously not everyone is hearing this sharpness and thats OK. I've watched your comments on different cables, and I've measured and listened - and the ones I have (copper, silver-plated-copper, and silver) all both sound and measure exactly the same (no change to frequency response - apart from a couple have volume changes). I've also tried and measured HBBs mesh off vs mesh on. I can't hear a difference - although the rig tells me there is about 0.2 dB volume difference (which could be audible). Again though - its only loudness.

But both you and HBB (and others) are hearing changes. Whether they are real or not - its real to you, and thats why I won't comment on them. But thats also why I very much understand shutterbox's feelings.

@shutterbox - if you get the chance - drop 2 kH by about 4 dB and 1 kHz by about 2 dB (with EQ) and see if that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back