[FiiO M11 Plus LTD/M11 Plus] THXAAA-78,Android 10, 2.5/3.5/4.4 Powerful Output/4.4 LO output, Dual AK4497/ES9068AS DAC chips, 4GB RAM,64G Flash
Apr 11, 2024 at 9:52 PM Post #2,956 of 2,984
It would be best for fiio to not update the old dap models to entice buyers to avail of their new line up.

This is what I am anticipating to see that is why fiio is not sure anymore now about the android 12 update for this device. They may have thought about doing it initially but realized it could cost them in the long run so they may have scrapped that idea and will just focus on their new products.

Hope I am wrong though.

Apr 12, 2024 at 12:20 AM Post #2,957 of 2,984
It would be best for fiio to not update the old dap models to entice buyers to avail of their new line up.

This is what I am anticipating to see that is why fiio is not sure anymore now about the android 12 update for this device. They may have thought about doing it initially but realized it could cost them in the long run so they may have scrapped that idea and will just focus on their new products.

Hope I am wrong though.
This is win for consumers though. Expanding the lifecycle of the device is definitely a win/win situation especially that it’s not a cheap device.

Apr 12, 2024 at 12:41 AM Post #2,958 of 2,984
This is win for consumers though. Expanding the lifecycle of the device is definitely a win/win situation especially that it’s not a cheap device.
Let's just wait and see what Fiio does next.

Apr 13, 2024 at 3:18 PM Post #2,960 of 2,984
Anyone that might be considering getting an M23 versus picking up an M11 Plus ESS while they are still available might want to consider the headphone jack location which can significantly impact the use of the DAP, at least for me.

The M23 has the jacks on the top and the USB-C ports and SD card slot on the bottom.

That was something I hadn’t noticed earlier but is a significant consideration for me, I much prefer the jacks on the bottom for my use case. Rotating the screen will effectively put the jacks on the bottom but then USB-C ports are at the top and the volume rocker is on the other side and works in the opposite way.

Screenshot of M23 from promotional video.
👇

IMG_0384.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2024 at 10:05 PM Post #2,962 of 2,984
After a little detour to an overrated Astell&Kern, I am back in the FiiO world and so happy. The M11 Plus ESS rules.

Apr 13, 2024 at 10:07 PM Post #2,963 of 2,984
10 is fine as long as I can always use UAPP and Arc.

Apr 14, 2024 at 2:00 AM Post #2,964 of 2,984
I want android 12 enough said.

Apr 15, 2024 at 10:09 AM Post #2,966 of 2,984
The sheer volume difference between the SP3000 I sold and my new M11 Plus ESS is insane. I am very happy back with the FiiO. The A&K was just a disappointment in every category.

Apr 15, 2024 at 10:38 AM Post #2,967 of 2,984
It will still play music wether Android 10 or 12. Personally I have my music on a MicroSD. Prefer physical media over streaming. Same as I do with 4K movies.
If you only play local music files, that is fine. But as soon you connect that thing to the internet, that is going to be an issue as Android 10 (relesed in 2019) no longer receives security updates since February 2023 and is officially out of support since more than 1 year.

Android 10 was already outdated when the M11 Plus LTD was released. Back then, Android 12 was the current android. Right now we are at Android 14.

So yes, if you are only playing local files, it is fine. But most people don't buy an Android DAP to only play local files. There is no reason to have Android if you can't connect it securely to the Internet in the first place.

Not just is the issue that it uses Android 10 which dropped its support in February 2023, the M11 Plus ESS did not recieve _any_ security updates whatsoever at least more than a year before Android dropped support for it.

So FiiO did not update Android while it was supported and does not provide an Update since support has ended.

There is absolutely nothing that could justify that except, that they either lack the know how to do it without breaking it or just don't want to invest the money into it.

I have an testing device on which i manually build and update AOSP, its a matter of minutes (excluding build time) to update Android.

I have an Google Pixel 4a that i bought in 2020 With Android 10 and that one is running now Android 14. And i am building Android (AOSP) myself, from source, as a single, individual, person. Why is FiiO not able to do that as an company?

Why does an Device, released in 2024, uses an 7 year old SoC from 2017? (It is supported until 2027 though, so that is not what FiiO is holding back from providing a newer Android)

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2024 at 2:08 PM Post #2,968 of 2,984
If you only play local music files, that is fine. But as soon you connect that thing to the internet, that is going to be an issue as Android 10 (relesed in 2019) no longer receives security updates since February 2023 and is officially out of support since more than 1 year.

Android 10 was already outdated when the M11 Plus LTD was released. Back then, Android 12 was the current android. Right now we are at Android 14.

So yes, if you are only playing local files, it is fine. But most people don't buy an Android DAP to only play local files. There is no reason to have Android if you can't connect it securely to the Internet in the first place.

Not just is the issue that it uses Android 10 which dropped its support in February 2023, the M11 Plus ESS did not recieve _any_ security updates whatsoever at least more than a year before Android dropped support for it.

So FiiO did not update Android while it was supported and does not provide an Update since support has ended.

There is absolutely nothing that could justify that except, that they either lack the know how to do it without breaking it or just don't want to invest the money into it.

I have an testing device on which i manually build and update AOSP, its a matter of minutes (excluding build time) to update Android.

I have an Google Pixel 4a that i bought in 2020 With Android 10 and that one is running now Android 14. And i am building Android (AOSP) myself, from source, as a single, individual, person. Why is FiiO not able to do that as an company?

Why does an Device, released in 2024, uses an 7 year old SoC from 2017? (It is supported until 2027 though, so that is not what FiiO is holding back from providing a newer Android)
Your statement is right on point.

Apr 15, 2024 at 2:40 PM Post #2,969 of 2,984

Considering that the DAP's main function is to play music and the user will install music streaming applications, how important are Android security updates for this purpose? In my opinion, the biggest issue is the support that the streaming app developer provides for a given version of Android.

Below is the minimum requirement for the top music streaming apps:

Amazon Music - Android 9
Apple Music - Android 6
Deezer - Android 6
Spotify - Android 5
Qobuz - Android 6
Tidal - Android 7
YouTube Music - Android 8

Apr 15, 2024 at 2:51 PM Post #2,970 of 2,984
Considering that the DAP's main function is to play music and the user will install music streaming applications, how important are Android security updates for this purpose? In my opinion, the biggest issue is the support that the streaming app developer provides for a given version of Android.

Below is the minimum requirement for the top music streaming apps:

Amazon Music - Android 9
Apple Music - Android 6
Deezer - Android 6
Spotify - Android 5
Qobuz - Android 6
Tidal - Android 7
YouTube Music - Android 8

Roon can run on many Android devices that meet the following requirements:
  1. ARM or x86 based
  2. Android 5.0 or higher
  3. Supports OpenGL ES 3.0