FiiO X1 II (2nd Gen) w/ Bluetooth!
May 20, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #2,686 of 3,121
I will reset it. It only recognized 3,500 songs any way.

Oh, and BTW, tagging quality is very important. With an average of around 5500 files, mine's never taken more than around 5min to update the library. That's on a 256GB mSD in exFAT with all files fully tagged and with album art in the file saved in the above directory structure. All files in the "lossless" are 16/44 FLAC, 24/48 or 24/96 FLAC in "HDA", 24/88 in "HDAFromDSD", and 320K MP3 in "Lossy".

The "DSD" folder is used for the card in the Cayin N3 - the "HDAFromDSD" is for the X1's card.

Last edited:
May 20, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #2,687 of 3,121
I now have 2500 songs on it and it plays nicely. I am using my V-Moda Crossfade M-80 on ear 'phones as it seemed to need to be turned waaaay up with my favorite (Audio Philistine Alert!) paif made my Superlux. Same volume setting with the V-Modas vs the Superlux. I do not like to play music LOUD.

I have not noticed any problems but then I have only been listening for 3 songs. Three Sinatra songs. I will play it throughout the day and try to remember to test the blootoof. It is a very pretty device and looks good with the M-80 'phones. I can not comment on things like "air", "sound stage", "temporal time or anal smear" because I have no clue what that is supposed to be.

It loaded the 2500 or so songs in about 2.5 minutes. Nice.

Francis Albert Sinatra and Antonio Carols Jobim sound excellent. That is what matters to such as I. I shall check back in later. Unless aliens snag me and use me for Fiio Experiments like a common lab toad.

May 20, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #2,688 of 3,121
I now have 2500 songs on it and it plays nicely. I am using my V-Moda Crossfade M-80 on ear 'phones as it seemed to need to be turned waaaay up with my favorite (Audio Philistine Alert!) paif made my Superlux. Same volume setting with the V-Modas vs the Superlux. I do not like to play music LOUD.

I have not noticed any problems but then I have only been listening for 3 songs. Three Sinatra songs. I will play it throughout the day and try to remember to test the blootoof. It is a very pretty device and looks good with the M-80 'phones. I can not comment on things like "air", "sound stage", "temporal time or anal smear" because I have no clue what that is supposed to be.

It loaded the 2500 or so songs in about 2.5 minutes. Nice.

Francis Albert Sinatra and Antonio Carols Jobim sound excellent. That is what matters to such as I. I shall check back in later. Unless aliens snag me and use me for Fiio Experiments like a common lab toad.

Good to hear that you gott'a figured out. The 2500 in about 2.5m sounds right and reasonable. I still have yet to figure out why so many people seem to have issues with library updates running slow and other weird issues.

May 20, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #2,689 of 3,121
Well...whadday knows? It is updating FW to 1.6. I thought you should proceed in a linear fashion. Now all I have to do is get some songs in it. I will see if I can just drag drop as I did my original X1.

Thanks for the tip!

Firmware updates are cumulative so each new firmware update contains all the updates included in the previous firmware releases. So you only ever have to update to the current available firmware version.

May 20, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #2,690 of 3,121
Good to hear that you gott'a figured out. The 2500 in about 2.5m sounds right and reasonable. I still have yet to figure out why so many people seem to have issues with library updates running slow and other weird issues.

I tried loading albums individually after opening each artist name. So far, the art work is actually showing up but then I am only on my second complete album. If this works as well as it should, I will sing its praises just as I would have damned it were it still a total beta. I still feel bad for the people that bought one right away and think (not "feel") that FiiO should gift them some thing of minor worth for their suffering. 10% off their next purchase would be nice, but I do not know their margins, etc. Regard less, FiiO should shame us all with their minor munificence toward those individuals that helped out the company by being beta testers. The choice is theirs. I did not suffer and so should not benefit.

I like the color (Rose) very much. It is classic looking that color. My daughter and her mother are in Sacramento for my daughter's bridal shower but when she returns I will ask her if she wants this and will happily give it to her. Then order another one in the same color.

May 20, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #2,691 of 3,121
Firmware updates are cumulative so each new firmware update contains all the updates included in the previous firmware releases. So you only ever have to update to the current available firmware version.

Thank you. I did not see any indication of that on their site so I tried to proceed, as I said, in a linear fashion. Updating my Onkyo TX-NR118 to be able to recive SiriusXM was more difficult (read: a pain in my butt) than this FiiO.

May 20, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #2,692 of 3,121
Thank you. I did not see any indication of that on their site so I tried to proceed, as I said, in a linear fashion. Updating my Onkyo TX-NR118 to be able to recive SiriusXM was more difficult (read: a pain in my butt) than this FiiO.

There have been some items (mostly cameras and computers) that did require updating to a certain version if the fw was very old before it could be updated to the newest version. This is mostly because of major data structure changes in the version. For most items, firmware is usually cumulative. A lot of it has to do with the size of the firmware and the flash storage on the device itself.

BTW, in case you didn't know...disabling the "Scroll wheel press function" in the options on the X1-II will make the wheel much more predictable and functional. A few people I know have left it on, but I think most owners disable that as it makes the wheel appear too sensitive. Ya might give it a try and see which you prefer.

May 20, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #2,693 of 3,121
"Root" is the highest directory on any device. In the case of the card, it's where you arrive when you first double-click on the card in explorer. You should make a directory called something like "Music" and put your actual media files into it, not the root.

Format your card, then put just the .fw file above on the card. Do the update, then reset. Then, format your card again, create a directory called "Music" and drag your files to it. Finally, insert the card and do the library update.

This is pretty much standard procedure on any flash media device. Actually, there are limits to what a root directory can handle on a lot of file systems, so you should never drop a ton of files into the root.

The structure I use is:
ROOT -> Music -> Lossless -> Artist -> Year. Album -> Track#. Title - Artist.extension
ROOT -> Music -> HDA -> Artist -> Year. Album -> Track#. Title - Artist.extension
ROOT -> Music -> DSD -> Artist -> Year. Album -> Track#. Title - Artist.extension
ROOT -> Music -> HDAFromDSD -> Artist -> Year. Album -> Track#. Title - Artist.extension
ROOT -> Music -> Lossy -> Artist -> Year. Album -> Track#. Title - Artist.extension
ROOT -> Playlists -> Playlistname.m3u8

Even on imaging cards, the images are saved in a directory called "DCIM" since early FAT/FAT32 cards had a limit to the root.

Thanks for explaining this! Now I may have to fix my files since I didnt make any folders on my root directory! Just placed all my music files in the memory card! No wonder the card acts up sometimes when I insert it into my laptop! He he! Thanks for info again!

May 20, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #2,694 of 3,121
I tried loading albums individually after opening each artist name. So far, the art work is actually showing up but then I am only on my second complete album. If this works as well as it should, I will sing its praises just as I would have damned it were it still a total beta. I still feel bad for the people that bought one right away and think (not "feel") that FiiO should gift them some thing of minor worth for their suffering. 10% off their next purchase would be nice, but I do not know their margins, etc. Regard less, FiiO should shame us all with their minor munificence toward those individuals that helped out the company by being beta testers. The choice is theirs. I did not suffer and so should not benefit.

I like the color (Rose) very much. It is classic looking that color. My daughter and her mother are in Sacramento for my daughter's bridal shower but when she returns I will ask her if she wants this and will happily give it to her. Then order another one in the same color.

I'm reading positive things...you can't best that with a stick. Glad to see you are enjoying it.

May 21, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #2,695 of 3,121
I'm reading positive things...you can't best that with a stick. Glad to see you are enjoying it.

When things work as they should, I will say as much. When they do not, I will all so say as much. Again, I think what has happened to early buyers is nothing short of wrong and FiiO could offer some small consolation to those that put up with being beta testers. And again, I do not know their margin of profit but if they can do some thing for those people, then I think they should.

And by this I mean the folks here that bought in good faith and continued to with FiiO to get this DAP right. I am not concerned with the whole world, just those that I know via this little corner of the Matrix. Regard less, FiiO has made it right by fixing it. Finally.

May 21, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #2,696 of 3,121
When things work as they should, I will say as much. When they do not, I will all so say as much. Again, I think what has happened to early buyers is nothing short of wrong and FiiO could offer some small consolation to those that put up with being beta testers. And again, I do not know their margin of profit but if they can do some thing for those people, then I think they should.

And by this I mean the folks here that bought in good faith and continued to with FiiO to get this DAP right. I am not concerned with the whole world, just those that I know via this little corner of the Matrix. Regard less, FiiO has made it right by fixing it. Finally.

I agree with you and voiced some of these concerns in my post after receiving my X1II. I was very vocal early on in this thread about releasing this the way they did. All I can say now is that I'm glad I waited otherwise I would have been one of those frustrated early buyers. I learned the lesson to wait after I jumped on the M3 when it first hit the market. Worst DAP FiiO ever put out there IMO, but that's a topic for a whole other discussion.

May 22, 2017 at 6:18 AM Post #2,697 of 3,121
I have a similar problem. Everytime I listen to the songs of a single artist or of a single album, I can´t switch back to the categorie . When I try to skip back, the monitor turns black and no further action is possible. To start the X1 again I have to longpress the on/off button.
I have reported this issue before and they told me to reset my device, but this isn´t a solution for this bug.
I hope Fiio can solve this problem in the next firmwareupdate. Until then, I can only use the random play of all songs, but that´s not what I bought this player for.
Dear friend,

I will PM you for more information.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 22, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #2,698 of 3,121

I don't think Fiio will do anything to compensate early buyers but that's ok. I'm happy that they got a firmware out that makes the device work as it should and they aren't done yet. There will be future updates to further improve the X1ii but I'm glad you are enjoying yours. :beerchug:

May 25, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #2,699 of 3,121
I'm considering getting the Pinnacle P1's to use with my X1-II. Has anyone got experience with this combination? Apparently they're very sensitive to sources and take quite a bit to drive them. I've got a FiiO Q1 as well that I could stack with my X1 if needed.

May 26, 2017 at 5:45 AM Post #2,700 of 3,121
X1ii has more than enough output to power the P1 - you shouldn't need any extra amping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back