Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Sep 23, 2017 at 8:09 AM Post #11,506 of 15,899
With all due respect why don't you return it and get a refund. Life is too short to complain all the time.

And yes I understand you are upset if the product can't do what is advertised to do. But please move on and buy a dap that meets your needs. This hobby should bring joy not the opposite.

So this is your response to others who have problems, "if you do not like it then sod off".

I was asking the moderator not to berate people who are having problems, after all is this not meant to be a support thread? Or is this a thread for sycophants to blow smoke up the arse of FiiO.

So please tell me, is this a support thread or an advertising platform?

Edit: And in spite of the many flaws, as I have repeatedly stated I am very happy with the sound quality of the X5iii.

• I do not play High Rate DSD so those issues do not affect me and personally I find the idea of having a single song consuming hundreds of megabytes ridiculous, can anyone honestly hear the difference?
  • I do not use my X5iii for bluetooth.
  • I do not stream over wifi.

So as a folder/song player it serves me fine, my only issue is not being able to connect it with my laptop, however, I manage my music by an external SD Writer.

My personal opinion is that FiiO is trying to cram in too many features within a budget dap.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #11,508 of 15,899
Good question. I clearly see, who is making his job (paid - and nothing wrong about it), and who is discussing.

Thanks, I am glad that I am not alone in my thinking.

I joined to seek some help on a couple of issues and then in turn to offer my support and feedback to others. Initially this was a friendly community with everyone helping each other, but now you are quickly attacked or told to go away if you dare say anything bad about this dap.

Sep 23, 2017 at 9:00 AM Post #11,509 of 15,899
So this is your response to others who have problems, "if you do not like it then sod off".

I was asking the moderator not to berate people who are having problems, after all is this not meant to be a support thread? Or is this a thread for sycophants to blow smoke up the arse of FiiO.

So please tell me, is this a support thread or an advertising platform?

Edit: And in spite of the many flaws, as I have repeatedly stated I am very happy with the sound quality of the X5iii.

• I do not play High Rate DSD so those issues do not affect me and personally I find the idea of having a single song consuming hundreds of megabytes ridiculous, can anyone honestly hear the difference?
  • I do not use my X5iii for bluetooth.
  • I do not stream over wifi.
So as a folder/song player it serves me fine, my only issue is not being able to connect it with my laptop, however, I manage my music by an external SD Writer.

My personal opinion is that FiiO is trying to cram in too many features within a budget dap.
So the only problem is unable to connect to laptop? USB port 2.0 or 3.0?

Sep 23, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #11,510 of 15,899
Thanks, I am glad that I am not alone in my thinking.

I joined to seek some help on a couple of issues and then in turn to offer my support and feedback to others. Initially this was a friendly community with everyone helping each other, but now you are quickly attacked or told to go away if you dare say anything bad about this dap.
I certainly don't think that's the case. But i do see some over zealous fanboys :wink:
This community has and shall always help fellow users. The users will ensure it. Heck what is a site without users after all. Pointing out issues is certainly not a problem around here but repeating it ad nauseum may be. I have been guilty of it. My frustration got the better of me. I am not saying you ever did it but i have noticed it being done earlier. We should all respect each other and why we are here.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #11,511 of 15,899
It's a problem faced by a very few users. Some laptops and PCs with USB 3.0 may conflict with the DAP and not connect properly. I have had no such problem.

Sep 23, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #11,512 of 15,899
I certainly don't think that's the case. But i do see some over zealous fanboys :wink:
This community has and shall always help fellow users. The users will ensure it. Heck is a site without users after all. Pointing out issues is certainly not a problem around here but repeating it ad nauseum may be. I have been guilty of it. My frustration got the better of me. I am not saying you ever did it but i have noticed it being done earlier. We should all respect each other and why we are here.

Thanks for posting this, I agree completely :). And no need to comment any further ....it won't do any good anyway :)

Sep 23, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #11,513 of 15,899
So if I read things right ......

People are allowed to complain, yet if I question the validity of the claim (ie project a different opinion), I am:
- stepping out of line
- a fan boy
- a shill

Just checking - because that’s the way I’m reading it.

Respect goes both ways - and everyone is entitled to an opinion without being labeled. I’m going to sign off for the night before I say something I really regret.

Sep 23, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #11,514 of 15,899

For me it is the only real problem that I have faced as I do not use the other features such as bluetooth or wifi streaming. I am a dinosaur when it comes to daps as I stick with folder playing.

Concerning the USB connection, I personally feel that it is something that will never be fixed. I have had this issue on two of these daps, they will not connect with the USB 3.0 ports on my Dell XPS. The strange thing is that the earlier X5II still works perfectly and connects perfectly to my laptop.

Sep 23, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #11,515 of 15,899
This community has and shall always help fellow users. The users will ensure it. Heck what is a site without users after all. Pointing out issues is certainly not a problem around here but repeating it ad nauseum may be. I have been guilty of it. My frustration got the better of me. I am not saying you ever did it but i have noticed it being done earlier. We should all respect each other and why we are here.

Zealous fanboys, that is why I stay clear of Apple products.

I think the only reason certain things get repeated is because some problems never get resolved. My issue that is the most basic of functions simply connecting the dap to a computer has not been resolved. I had a lot of communication early on trying to resolve this, both with users and FiiO but now it is all but forgotten and FiiO have not yet admitted that it is the dap at fault.

Sep 23, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #11,516 of 15,899
Zealous fanboys, that is why I stay clear of Apple products.

I think the only reason certain things get repeated is because some problems never get resolved. My issue that is the most basic of functions simply connecting the dap to a computer has not been resolved. I had a lot of communication early on trying to resolve this, both with users and FiiO but now it is all but forgotten and FiiO have not yet admitted that it is the dap at fault.
I agree but if we are being objective here if the DAP (in general) was the problem none of us would be able to connect. The combination of the usb host chip is not playing well with your laptop. That is certainly not a scenario where i could claim that the DAP was itself bad. I am just trying to bring some logic to the table. Despite the fact we might be frustrated with this we still can't and shouldn't loose our objectivity. I personally believe we have taken this discussion to a point of impasse.

I would suggest we sleep on it and try and use a USB HUB to eliminate the issue of incompatibility. Let's try and solve this.

Sep 23, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #11,517 of 15,899
For me it is the only real problem that I have faced as I do not use the other features such as bluetooth or wifi streaming. I am a dinosaur when it comes to daps as I stick with folder playing.

Concerning the USB connection, I personally feel that it is something that will never be fixed. I have had this issue on two of these daps, they will not connect with the USB 3.0 ports on my Dell XPS. The strange thing is that the earlier X5II still works perfectly and connects perfectly to my laptop.

I had this problem on first one - it was faulty device. After I got replacement unit, USB connection worked flawless with the same lap top.

Sep 23, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #11,518 of 15,899
Get a LG G6 or LG V30, they are not far off in sound quality. You should have made your homework better :). Don't expect smartphone user interface in any Android dap, that won't happen for several years.

I have both the X5 3rd and the the X7ii and really like both. The X5 3rd is a powerful little dap that easily drive both my Beyer DT 1990 and Beyer Amiron, it's not perfect in any way but I knew that when I bought it. Before I had the Ibasso DX200, double the price of the X5 3rd. It has a better user interface but it's nowhere near my LG G6 and sound quality, for me, was not that much better than the X5 3rd. I personally think the price of FiiO daps are reasonable for what you get and with this I mean primarily Sound Quality, I don't expect flawless interface in any Android dap.

That's the thing, I did my homework... And I went in willingly, expecting the experience to be better than what I expected because everyone was raving about it. I guess I'll eventually make someone happy by pawning it off. :wink:

I just hope the next firmware stabilises things like brooko says. Time will tell...

Sep 23, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #11,520 of 15,899
No problems. And I would like to be clear - I have never accepted any form of payment from manufacturers, advertisers, or from Head-Fi - and never will. My own personal integrity is too important to allow that.

I also find veiled accusations of shilling and/or fan boyism to be highly offensive. It also puts me in an impossible situation because as a Moderator I can’t defend myself or the next accusations will be against Head-Fi (sometimes you can’t win). How strongly do I feel about this? Well tonight I’ve asked to have my Moderator status revoked.

I hope the people who are questioning my integrity take a long hard look at themselves. And I’ll leave the matter there.

And thanks Matrix, I appreciate your time via PM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back