Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Sep 23, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #11,521 of 15,899
There is no doubt about Paul and the objectivity he brings to the table. I must clarify that i am always in agreement with his logic and reasoning. I also appreciate the time he gives to keep things under check.

Sep 23, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #11,522 of 15,899
I agree but if we are being objective here if the DAP (in general) was the problem none of us would be able to connect. The combination of the usb host chip is not playing well with your laptop. That is certainly not a scenario where i could claim that the DAP was itself bad. I am just trying to bring some logic to the table. Despite the fact we might be frustrated with this we still can't and shouldn't loose our objectivity. I personally believe we have taken this discussion to a point of impasse.

I would suggest we sleep on it and try and use a USB HUB to eliminate the issue of incompatibility. Let's try and solve this.

I have tried all possible work arounds including numerous cables, adapters and hubs.
I have used a USB multimeter to measure the voltage and current drain when connected to various pieces of tech and as I have said many times, everything I own including my old X5II works. The only item that does not work is my X5III and this is the second one that I have owned.

I am managing my music externally on the SD Cards and the Internal Memory via an OTG USB Pen using the inbuilt file browser. It is not acceptable, but I will tolerate it for the sound quality, however, my next DAP may now be from another brand.

Sep 23, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #11,524 of 15,899
I have tried all possible work arounds including numerous cables, adapters and hubs.
I have used a USB multimeter to measure the voltage and current drain when connected to various pieces of tech and as I have said many times, everything I own including my old X5II works. The only item that does not work is my X5III and this is the second one that I have owned.

I am managing my music externally on the SD Cards and the Internal Memory via an OTG USB Pen using the inbuilt file browser. It is not acceptable, but I will tolerate it for the sound quality, however, my next DAP may now be from another brand.
Device cannot be detected or how? Have you tried connecting to another laptop with USB 3.0?

Sep 23, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #11,525 of 15,899
No problems. And I would like to be clear - I have never accepted any form of payment from manufacturers, advertisers, or from Head-Fi - and never will. My own personal integrity is too important to allow that.

I also find veiled accusations of shilling and/or fan boyism to be highly offensive. It also puts me in an impossible situation because as a Moderator I can’t defend myself or the next accusations will be against Head-Fi (sometimes you can’t win). How strongly do I feel about this? Well tonight I’ve asked to have my Moderator status revoked.

I hope the people who are questioning my integrity take a long hard look at themselves. And I’ll leave the matter there.

And thanks Matrix, I appreciate your time via PM.

I just want to say I did not question your integrity nor did I call you a shill.

I asked you to take into account that what you see as a minor problem may well be a big problem for others.

I am not here to cause conflict so if my comments have offended you then I am sorry.

Sep 23, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #11,526 of 15,899

Is there anyone who could try their x5iii with your laptop? I wonder if you could try X7ii albeit a lot more expensive, but might be worth the hit on a sale/upgrade to be happy?

Sep 23, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #11,528 of 15,899
Is there anyone who could try their x5iii with your laptop? I wonder if you could try X7ii albeit a lot more expensive, but might be worth the hit on a sale/upgrade to be happy?

No, but this is the second X5III that I have owned. It worked on my old Toshiba that was all USB 2.0 but on my XPS that is USB 3.0 and USB C it does not work.

Sep 23, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #11,529 of 15,899
It is detected and it does try to connect but I end up in a connect disconnect loop, it will not hold a connection, it immediately disconnects and then reconnects etc.

Have the same problem with my surface book. Gave some context to Fiio (as in when this occured on a laptop and when it didn't) and never got any word back. It seems some laptop can't use older usb negociation protocols and force newest, which the RK3188's USB interface does not like. So you can't negociate a stable USB connection... One of the other multiple reasons I'm irritated at my X5. :/

Sep 23, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #11,530 of 15,899
Have the same problem with my surface book. Gave some context to Fiio (as in when this occured on a laptop and when it didn't) and never got any word back. It seems some laptop can't use older usb negociation protocols and force newest, which the RK3188's USB interface does not like. So you can't negociate a stable USB connection... One of the other multiple reasons I'm irritated at my X5. :/

Thank you, this is what I have been trying to say all along only I did not know the technicalities.

So what I was saying now appears true in that the X5III is not compatible with the latest USB Standards.

What I would like to know is why, when the older X5II is?

Sep 23, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #11,531 of 15,899
Thank you, this is what I have been trying to say all along only I did not know the technicalities.

So what I was saying now appears true in that the X5III is not compatible with the latest USB Standards.

What I would like to know is why, when the older X5II is?

I seem to remember posts of other members who have been able to get their X5iii to work with that protocol. Seems like it may just be the way Dell and Microsoft implement these protocols. I have a brand new HP Spectre 360 arriving soon. If I choose to buy either an X5iii or X7ii, I hope I don't encounter any issues.

Sep 23, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #11,532 of 15,899
Brooko - I must say I find your response to my posts lacking in respect. I am not debating anything. I have never challenged your claims. I posted a timeline showing my FIIO experience and where it led me. You have different experiences – based in part on private interactions with FIIO - and have come to a different conclusion. As I said I hope you’re right.

I haven’t accused you of anything nor have I attacked you personally. I have brought out specific behaviors by FIIO that help bring me to my current state of mind. Potential customers can and should read many threads and research both products and companies. I have been a FIIO customer for several years and feel it is entirely proper for me to give them my feedback. I was an early purchaser of the X1ii and despite its rocky start I didn't complain on Headfi or directly to FIIO

Anyway I think its time I put my attention to other things

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #11,533 of 15,899
I seem to remember posts of other members who have been able to get their X5iii to work with that protocol. Seems like it may just be the way Dell and Microsoft implement these protocols. I have a brand new HP Spectre 360 arriving soon. If I choose to buy either an X5iii or X7ii, I hope I don't encounter any issues.

When I first encountered this problem and after everyone kept blaming my laptop I was ready to do battle with Dell. I know a lot of people like to criticise Dell but I have found both their products and support to be exemplary.

There were many complaints aired about Dell's tablets yet I never had any trouble with mine and even this XPS received a lot of criticism despite many reviewers calling it the Mac Slayer. It is working flawlessly after a years hard use and I am certain it will last longer than my Service Plan that expires in 2 years time.

Hopefully you won't have the same problems as me, however, I must warn you that after the Creators Update my USB C fix using a USB C to USB 3.0 adapter stopped working.

Sep 23, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #11,534 of 15,899
I'm having a bit of a technical niggle, using X5-III in DAC mode with VLC on my MacBook.
I realize this is just a nature of some USB-DAC in general, but I'm having some de-sync between audio and video not present when just using laptop speakers without X5-III.
Has anyone done this before and been able to nail down how many milliseconds +/- in VLC settings would offset this?
I have some broadcast footage of Muse playing at Reading 2017 & watching with audio de-sync is just irritating.

Sep 23, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #11,535 of 15,899
Mandrake - one of the things I find frustrating is the alph sort. I have two 256 cards totally filled. With a few thousand albums then terrible alpha sort is a constant frustration For me. May I ask how many files you are actually using and how your tagging is structured? I'd rather not agaonize over the bad sorting scheme but I haven't found a way around it
I don't have a fix for you, unfortunately. In fact I have had some frustration with looking for something in particular. The thing is that I don't often do this. Once I get what I want I typically play the album. Then I go back to my typical use case which is shuffle across all songs. I am sure that is not what many do, but in that scenario the sort doesn't matter. You could say that I use the X5III passively most of the time.

Can I ask, is it at least consistent in sorting incorrectly? In other words, once you know how it works can you simply take that into consideration when looking for something? Can you do something with tagging to make it better.?

I agree though that a sort algorithm that make sense really shouldn't be that tough to do.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back