First serious closed headohones reccomendations needed!
May 7, 2013 at 1:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 120

ryan2196

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I just created a profile on this site so that i could find some help in picking out headphones. I listen to hard rock and metal. I like Metallica, Avenged Sevenfold, FFDP etc. I also like to listen to classic rock like Pink Floyd and Led Zepplin. I originally blindly bought Beats Studios. These are terrible headphones for any genre but especially metal. I sold them, but took a loss, and I want to make sure that doesn't happen again. There are a lot of headphones that I would like to try out, but they are not in stores around me. I'm looking for closed headphones that have good sound isolation (possibly noise cancelling), don't have rediculous amounts of bass, but better mids and highs for guitar distortion and clear vocals, and that i will be able to carry around with me without having to worry about them breaking. I've been doing a lot of research on this, and have seen that the beyerdynamic dt 770 and Audio Technica M50s are both good, and seem to fit my criteria. Any Suggestions? My top dollar price is $300(the price i paid for my Beats Studios).

Thanks for the help,
Ryan2196

May 7, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #2 of 120
Sennheiser Amperiors would fit the bill and sound great for rock as they are very fast headphones with sparkly highs and not too overpowering on bass.  You can find them on VMInnovations brand new for 191 or refurbed for 167.  Great headphones.

May 7, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #3 of 120
Quote:
Sennheiser Amperiors would fit the bill and sound great for rock as they are very fast headphones with sparkly highs and not too overpowering on bass.  You can find them on VMInnovations brand new for 191 or refurbed for 167.  Great headphones.

Thanks for responding! I've been looking at the amperiors and also the hd 25 II. What is the difference between them other than price?

May 7, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #4 of 120
From everything I've read, the Amperiors are suppose to be an improvement over the HD25s.  The cups are aluminum on the amperiors vs the plastic on the HD25s and has more dampening.  The drivers are also lower impedance so they can be driven much more easily out of portable devices and sound great without any dampening.  I also read that a common complaint about the HD25s is that the highs can be too bright to the point of being sibilant at times, whereas the amperiors fixed this problem.

Here is a more detailed comparrison between the 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMl7vZs3DLs

A lot of people were hesitent on the Amperiors when they first came out due to its 350 dollar msrp price tag.  But at the current prices VMInnovations has it for right now, it's a no brainer if you're trying to decide between the 2.

May 7, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #5 of 120
Quote:
From everything I've read, the Amperiors are suppose to be an improvement over the HD25s.  The cups are aluminum on the amperiors vs the plastic on the HD25s and has more dampening.  The drivers are also lower impedance so they can be driven much more easily out of portable devices and sound great without any dampening.  I also read that a common complaint about the HD25s is that the highs can be too bright to the point of being sibilant at times, whereas the amperiors fixed this problem.

Here is a more detailed comparrison between the 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMl7vZs3DLs

A lot of people were hesitent on the Amperiors when they first came out due to its 350 dollar msrp price tag.  But at the current prices VMInnovations has it for right now, it's a no brainer if you're trying to decide between the 2.

Well the Audio Technica M50 are currently $80 on Amazon. That sounds like a deal to me. What do you know about them?

May 7, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #6 of 120
80 dollars for M50s are a really good deal.  However, they might not be the best choice of headphones for your type of music.  The M50s have a V-shaped signature, in that its very bass heavy and has bright highs.  The mids however are recessed and won't be good frock or fast music.  M50's are best suited towards rap/hiphop/rnb/electronic.

May 7, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #7 of 120
Quote:
80 dollars for M50s are a really good deal.  However, they might not be the best choice of headphones for your type of music.  The M50s have a V-shaped signature, in that its very bass heavy and has bright highs.  The mids however are recessed and won't be good frock or fast music.  M50's are best suited towards rap/hiphop/rnb/electronic.

So what would you most reccomend? Oh by the way would getting a Fiio Andres help the mids and highs at all if i bought the M50s?

May 7, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #8 of 120
I don't think that getting a dac/amp will really change the signature of the M50s.  They are darksounding headphones that probably won't work too well for rock. 

If you don't mind buying internationally and waiting a couple weeks for shipping.  You may also want to consider the Jaycar clones of the Brainwavz HM5s.  They are supposedly very neutral headphones and have been getting lots of praises here on head-fi.  They are just rebadged Brainwavz HM5s and cost 70 dollars shipped as opposed to the 100-130 that the HM5's go for. 

http://www.jaycar.us/productView.asp?ID=AA2065&keywords=pro+monitor&form=KEYWORD

May 7, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #13 of 120
Get the ATH ws99s. They're better than (IMO) the mdr 1rs in every way, and are simply wonderful. Hurry up and get them on amazon because theyre being sold extremely quickly.

I also greatly prefer these to the dt770/80. I'm not too fond of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back