Flare EARS by Flare Audio
Oct 17, 2023 at 12:57 AM Post #77 of 109
i have received the Model S today, i think i need to change the cable, the cable is bad for me, i will post my full impressions soon

But first impression is: bass is deep and fully sounding, mid and treble are safety, vocal is a bit distance, soundstage is wide. It's a very relax for me, but, i need something more, let the drivers run for couple of days, i think

EDIT: very sensitive with ear tips, i have tried 3 different eartips and they bring to the earphone diffrent sounds, what the....
Silicon stock eartip: it hurts my ears and make sound muddy
Audiophile eartips (from Flare): it can't go deep and make sound bassier
Stock foam tip: most balanced sound

I'll try Azla tonight

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #78 of 109
I've got Spinfit CP100 Plus arriving tomorrow - size S.

Will report back.

Oct 19, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #79 of 109
Ah, darn. Send a message to the seller, maybe?

... or not, if you've already found what you wanted!
Had a message today from the vendor that the cable had gone missing and that they no longer stock it. No surprise really, given Fiio themselves upgraded it a few years back.

I did manage to find a similar cable on the same site, so supposedly they have amended my order, but I have no idea how long I’ll be waiting, I think they import from China using bulk shipping.

I must admit, I’m keen to shell out for some of the over-ear TWS BT adapters now, albeit at around £100…

Oct 20, 2023 at 2:05 AM Post #80 of 109
Okie after couple of days with this earphones, i can't i love it or not. I have had Zen Pro, SA6, UM Mest, Flare Pro 2HD, and others Chifi iems. And this, Flare Ears S Model makes me so confuse.

The earphone is so special (or weird) in soundstage and image. I feel like im listening to a headphone more than an earphone, there's clearly a distance between me and sound, but the sound still has details and transparency. I dont know how to explain this. The room it brings to me like a Beyerdynamic dt990 pro, when i listen to classical pieces i feel like i actually in the concert. I play piano and very familiar with strings and orchestra intruments and i can say, that is how a cello should sound. The atmosphere, the dynamic, the coherency is what they should be.

- Sound signature:
Bass: fully, deep, strong and sometimes dominant. I know some will not like this kind of bass, but if you go to concerts or liveshows you will know how the basses attacks you. Drum kick, e.bass, contrabass, timpani, low notes of cellos. All are perfect and detailed, you can hear the timpani rolls more transparent than any iems i've tried, but still strong and fulfill the room. I sometimes can feel it goes deep into my neck

Mid: expand, transparent but a little bit backward. When every instruments go along, you can pick each to each, but they're still one. Wow. Vocal a little bit forward, but it goes furrther when singers reach high notes, with me, this is very realistic but i know may will need more forward vocals.

Treble: smooth but airy. Wind instruments (like, trumpet, flute...) have their air enough to shine sometimes but to be honest, trebles were never a strong aspect of Flare. They want to produce smooth and easy listening sound. But still airy, i never feel muffled. But i think adding some more trebles is good idea.

Soundstage and Imaging: wow, as i said this is the strongest point of this earphone, so, classical music / live albums are very very good on this earphone to my ears.

Timbre: realistic, nothing to complain.

Eartips: i find it hard to find the right eartip, the fit is okish but eartips will change the sound

Conclusion: im very impressed with the earphone. Transparent, detail in a big wide soundstage, so special. Well done Flare

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #81 of 109
A pleasant surprise from Royal Mail, who just pitched up with my short mmcx cable, all the way from China via Coalville. Not much to write home presentation-wise, it's a small cable in an unbranded zip lock bag with 'mmcx' scribbled on it.
And it looks probably like a cross between the one Sinocelt shared

And the Fiio LC-3.5AS (original short mmcx cable).

It looks custom made, but everything nice and neat, with reinforced curved plastic tubing around the ear part, so they are also an over-ear design.

Seems to work well, sound is still great, fit is pretty good, the over-ear fit is surprisingly comfy and snug round the ear. Mine don't line up quite like Haden's, my ear appears to be blocking the cable to allow for anymore rotation, but I think they do look a lot better like this because they sit higher up on your ear.

Looking forward to my commute again next week now. The only annoying thing is that the battery on my Bluetooth DAC seems to be shot, and only just about lasts me through the day. (Wireless charging means I can recharge it off my S22, which is awkward, but a lifesaver!)

Nov 5, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #82 of 109
I found that FIIO 20” 3.5mm to MMCX cable on Alliexpress for about $37. I also contacted the Company that made my .78 and MMCX cables for my Pono Player’s to see if they would make one for me, but they said no. I also found a 20”.78 and MMCX cable to 2.5mm balanced or 3.5mm at audio64 in NY for about $45, but it is somewhat unclear if they will continue to stock them. I plan on sending them an e-mail to find out if I can order one of each. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2023 at 2:28 AM Post #84 of 109
I found that FIIO 20” 3.5mm to MMCX cable on Alliexpress for about $37. I also contacted the Company that made my .78 and MMCX cables for my Pono Player’s to see if they would make one for me, but they said no. I also found a 20”.78 and MMCX cable to 2.5mm balanced or 3.5mm at audio64 in NY for about $45, but it is somewhat unclear if they will continue to stock them. I plan on sending them an e-mail to find out if I can order one of each. Hope this helps.
I’ve never used Aliexpress, and was about to pull the trigger on the Shure RMCE-BT2 last night for only £32, but then spotted another priced similarly with lots of questions whether it was genuine and a lot of replies that it wasn’t, which was a reminder to me about using that site in general. (Tech from China can be difficult because sometimes it’s a rip-off and sometimes it’s exactly the same as the product you’re trying to buy, just unbranded)

The cable I bought was

This one

though they gave it to me for less, based on my previously cancelled order. It took maybe 2 weeks to arrive once they had re-placed the order.

Nov 7, 2023 at 2:41 AM Post #85 of 109
So after baulking at paying £72 for the Shure RMCE-BT2 on eBay (I’m sure I alerted someone reading this thread to it!!), I’ve spent £115 on the short mmcx cable and now also the Fiio BTR5 instead!!
I’m justifying it on the basis that they are more multifunctional than the Shure DAC by itself!!

Nov 7, 2023 at 2:51 AM Post #86 of 109
So after baulking at paying £72 for the Shure RMCE-BT2 on eBay (I’m sure I alerted someone reading this thread to it!!), I’ve spent £115 on the short mmcx cable and now also the Fiio BTR5 instead!!
I’m justifying it on the basis that they are more multifunctional than the Shure DAC by itself!!
#blueteeth

Nov 7, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #87 of 109
I’ve never used Aliexpress, and was about to pull the trigger on the Shure RMCE-BT2 last night for only £32, but then spotted another priced similarly with lots of questions whether it was genuine and a lot of replies that it wasn’t, which was a reminder to me about using that site in general. (Tech from China can be difficult because sometimes it’s a rip-off and sometimes it’s exactly the same as the product you’re trying to buy, just unbranded)

The cable I bought was

This one

though they gave it to me for less, based on my previously cancelled order. It took maybe 2 weeks to arrive once they had re-placed the order.
I fully understand about using Alliexpress. Have only purchased a few items there. And actually received them. Will look into this cable though as I would like a shorter cable.

Nov 7, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #88 of 109
I looked at the BTR5 and iFi Go Blu but ended up purchasing the Qudelix 5k.

Nov 8, 2023 at 6:05 AM Post #89 of 109
I looked at the BTR5 and iFi Go Blu but ended up purchasing the Qudelix 5k.
Yeah, the one thing I don’t like about all this modification, is that I’m doubling up on devices.
The first DAC I bought was the Fiio E10k (I think), but jumped at the chance to grab the Cyrus Soundkey for its portability, and realistically there was no reason not to use it at my PC either, so I managed to sell the Fiio to a guy in my office. And I still use the Soundkey all the time now.
But then I got bitten by the bug, and grabbed a Hidizs balanced DAC for desktop use, which has been plagued by battery charging and general power issues, such that I almost never use it.
I have no idea why I decided to get on board with the Nexum Aqua+, I think maybe to have it connected to my home stereo so I could easily send music from my phone, but it has provided an alternative use case now to the EARS which I maybe wouldn’t have considered otherwise, and if it weren’t for its declining battery I guess I’d stick with it.
Getting another Bluetooth DAC though is frustrating, as it can also be used for USB too (during which it would also charge) and essentially renders all the others redundant.
The Flares Pro were so good with the cabled to Bluetooth adaptability, both in terms of form factor and the convenience of long to short cables.
The Bluetooth module with the EARS is frustrating, and to get something akin to the Flares Pro means buying a DAC and a cable (as I have done) due to all the connections being reversed when compared to the Flares Pro (I also don’t think the Flares Pro DAC is that great and it’s Bluetooth 4.2). I suppose one saving grace is that everything is modular, so we can all tailor them the way we like (even TWS ear hooks being an option) - from my brief reading, I know some found the Flares Pro frustrating because the mmcx cables were connected and finding an adapter to e.g. 2.5mm balanced was proving tricky.

It’s a never ending battle!!

Nov 18, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #90 of 109
So I went back and looked at the details of my Aqua+ Bluetooth DAC, and discovered that it only does 5.5 hrs on 32-but mode, which would probably answer why it’s conking out at the end of the day. So probably nothing wrong with it (it happily lasted in normal 16-but mode), and I probably didn’t need the BTR5, but it’s a very capable and versatile device (would have got the BTR3 but it was out of stock and I was impatient!), and I had a hell of an enjoyable afternoon just listening to ‘My Likes’ from Amazon Music yesterday at work. Rock, Pop, Hip Hop, Trip Hop, Dance; doesn’t matter what it is, these earbuds can do it all. So much joy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back