Flare EARS by Flare Audio
Sep 30, 2022 at 12:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 109

all999

1000+ Head-Fier
Flare Audio will soon introduce new bt iems - EARS. It will be available on Indiegogo soon.

https://www.flareaudio.com/pages/coming-soon

0A93880A-91D3-4CC1-AADD-84DF50B8485A.jpeg
CC5FEBCB-E606-4B01-A897-5E1A44665CAF.jpeg

Oct 25, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #6 of 109
It's definitely interesting
To say the least... especially this part:

Traditional Earphones

Traditional earphones and headphones make the reflected sound distortion problem worse by adding even more chaotic sound reflections due to how sound reflects inside their designs. Because of this, it doesn’t matter how much money you spend on traditional sound equipment - you will never experience mirror image sound.

This is what it looks like when we hear sound through a traditional in-ear earphone. See how sound bounces around the earphone enclosure and the bends and curves in our ears.

The provided visual of how sound bounces around the interior of the shell in "traditional" iems is quite comical. I actually quite enjoyed the Flares Pro 2HD and wished they had released it with a detachable cable.

Oct 25, 2022 at 11:43 PM Post #8 of 109
They got Stephen Fry and Neil Gaiman to endorse their prototype, which is gobsmacking, but the Head-Fi feedback wasn't stellar.

Also, I can't help having doubts about the ergonomics of the Flare EARS.
  • I can't get a seal with many an IEM because some part of the IEM bumps against my antihelix and antitragus, preventing the stem from reaching as deep inside my ear canal as it's supposed to. It's likely the Flare EARS won't play nice with my pinnae.
  • I like to wear my IEM cable over-ear, which isn't possible with the Flare EARS.
Finally, worldwide shipping is free from the Flare Audio website for 45+ pounds worth of purchases, but shipping is 15 pounds (to Taiwan) on Indiegogo, making the early-bird rebate less advantageous.

In sum, I'll sit this one out, but I'll also keep an eye out for Head-Fi reviews.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #10 of 109
It's not long now until backers start receiving their perks. Should be by the end of June that they start sending them out. I'm looking forward to getting my S model and will post pics etc here. I've now had the e-prototype and e-3d-1. After initially hating the first pair of e-prototypes I had, I am now using them as daily drivers. The sound of them is so unique. For anyone struggling to get the best out of them, I've learnt to use smaller sized tips than I normally use and it works for me. For new users.... it takes time to get used to the difference in sounds, but I can't go back to my other IEMs now as I'm so used to this sound signature.

Anyone else getting one of the EARS models?

Jun 15, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #11 of 109
Getting the two beryllium driver models. Looking forward to hearing how they compare to the E-Prototype.

Really hoping for something that brings the tuning of the Flare Gold into their new shiny mirror image sound universe...

Aug 21, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #14 of 109
Anyone had a shipping notification yet?

Aug 21, 2023 at 10:52 AM Post #15 of 109
Looks like the first batch of perks have been shipped. Flare are being cagey about tracking, which is attracting some grief among the backers.

I'm excited for these - Flares Pro2 HD were my daily driver until the cable broke, so looking forward to detachable cables.

Flare occupy a funny place in the market - I wish they would engage the enthusiast community a bit more, but their marketing swings between pro audio testimonials and what someone described as a 'peppy' consumer pitch, with very little actual detail.

Still, let's see. I'm expecting a beryllium driver aluminium 'R' model.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back