flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jul 22, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #17,221 of 39,414
Jul 22, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #17,222 of 39,414
Is the Noir any different from Fourté aside from color ?

The dynamic driver's been retuned to add more warmth and all the internals are now soldered with Mundorf Supreme solder. The stock cable is also now made of silver-plated copper. I've given it a brief listen without any sort of burn-in, and early impressions suggest a more coherent response and a warmer, wetter timbre. I have vivid memories of ever-so-slightly wincing whenever cymbals first come through any track on the old Fourté, and I don't get any of that here at all.

If your references are Empire Ears' Phantom, Custom Art's FIBAE Black, etc., the Noir's vocals will still be a touch leaner due to a laid-back lower-midrange. But, unlike the original Fourté (based on memory), the warmer, more natural tone and the boosted linearity between the low-treble and the mids do give the Noir version a lot more realism in spite of the leaner timbre, and a lot less fatigue too.

Jul 22, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #17,224 of 39,414
Profit margin?

I don’t know, didn’t mean anything like that in my comment, just curious if it was just a special design or a different tuning, looks like they addressed some of the Fourté’s criticism

Jul 22, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #17,225 of 39,414
I don’t know, didn’t mean anything like that in my comment, just curious if it was just a special design or a different tuning, looks like they addressed some of the Fourté’s criticism
I meant, I'm not expecting much :p

Jul 22, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #17,226 of 39,414
The dynamic driver's been retuned to add more warmth and all the internals are now soldered with Mundorf Supreme solder. The stock cable is also now made of silver-plated copper. I've given it a brief listen without any sort of burn-in, and early impressions suggest a more coherent response and a warmer, wetter timbre. I have vivid memories of ever-so-slightly wincing whenever cymbals first come through any track on the old Fourté, and I don't get any of that here at all.

If your references are Empire Ears' Phantom, Custom Art's FIBAE Black, etc., the Noir's vocals will still be a touch leaner due to a laid-back lower-midrange. But, unlike the original Fourté (based on memory), the warmer, more natural tone and the boosted linearity between the low-treble and the mids do give the Noir version a lot more realism in spite of the leaner timbre, and a lot less fatigue too.

love it when companies will make a 3800$ iem , in order to improve an earlier ,problematic 3600$ version

i expect a 3600$ to make angels appear from the skies , not to be so problematic like the bold part in daniel's thoughts

gotta love head-fi

Jul 22, 2019 at 6:59 PM Post #17,227 of 39,414
love it when companies will make a 3800$ iem , in order to improve an earlier ,problematic 3600$ version

i expect a 3600$ to make angels appear from the skies , not to be so problematic like the bold part in daniel's thoughts

gotta love head-fi
That’s so funny. Love it. It’s sickening but very true !!

Jul 23, 2019 at 12:14 AM Post #17,229 of 39,414
I've always felt that orchestral music isn't really well served by iems. The smaller size of stage doesn't really work out so well and a lot of instruments often sound smeared together. But of course, this might also be because of the age of the recording.

Jul 23, 2019 at 12:35 AM Post #17,230 of 39,414
3800$ ... this is past the point where, environment permitting, you could get speakers with a lot less limitations than their head-fi kin. I understand that it’s a watch vs clock issue, but still...

btw, @Deezel177 did you end up getting the Trio?

Yep! It'll be featured in a few upcoming comparisons before it gets its own review. I believe you had a question about it that I hadn't answered yet... am I remembering that correctly?

Jul 23, 2019 at 12:43 AM Post #17,231 of 39,414
Yep! It'll be featured in a few upcoming comparisons before it gets its own review. I believe you had a question about it that I hadn't answered yet... am I remembering that correctly?

Looking forward to it! @Deezel177

any quasi-affordable 4w cable pairings? Didn’t enjoy it with Oslo or thor 2 4w, for opposite reasons (too relaxed/too contrasty), loved/hated it with Dita truth (hate has to do with ergonomics) currently mainly using Eros 2 4w, Dita at home, PW silver flash with recordings that are too thumpy. thx in advance!

and btw, are you liking it so far?

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2019 at 1:25 AM Post #17,232 of 39,414

gotta love head-fi
:)
I tried Fourte and U18t.
And the Fourte was meh for me.. then I come to head-fi and everyone is like.. wow what best ever wow.. but I never buy anything that I didn't try first so..
..after trying both a few times I bought U18t, IMHO a much better IEM then the Fourte.

Will try the Noir when/if I manage to, but I honestly look more forward to trying the new Sony noise cancelling wireless IEMs for travelling (What XYZ 1000 WXYZ, I forgot the name..). :)

Jul 23, 2019 at 1:40 AM Post #17,233 of 39,414
I've always felt that orchestral music isn't really well served by iems. The smaller size of stage doesn't really work out so well and a lot of instruments often sound smeared together. But of course, this might also be because of the age of the recording.
I have always preferred IEMs because of their form factor, but because I listen to classical music so much I have been constantly eyeing headphones. The LCD-i4 might be the best compromise, but perhaps that I will see about trying out a few headphones soon to see if I could live with their bulk.

Jul 23, 2019 at 1:47 AM Post #17,234 of 39,414
:)
I tried Fourte and U18t.
And the Fourte was meh for me.. then I come to head-fi and everyone is like.. wow what best ever wow.. but I never buy anything that I didn't try first so..
..after trying both a few times I bought U18t, IMHO a much better IEM then the Fourte.

Will try the Noir when/if I manage to, but I honestly look more forward to trying the new Sony noise cancelling wireless IEMs for travelling (What XYZ 1000 WXYZ, I forgot the name..). :)
Fourte was pretty much fixed when they did the Trio hehe.

Jul 23, 2019 at 2:01 AM Post #17,235 of 39,414
I have always preferred IEMs because of their form factor, but because I listen to classical music so much I have been constantly eyeing headphones. The LCD-i4 might be the best compromise, but perhaps that I will see about trying out a few headphones soon to see if I could live with their bulk.
The LCD-i4 is not a compromise, it beats a lot of heavy weight headphones without breaking a sweat. :wink:
But if I was you I would probably wait for a second generation to come out (IMHO the LCD-i4 needs the Reveal plugin to work properly as it is tonally a bit skewed).

I hope you manage to try it soon somewhere as I look forward to your thoughts on it..

Fourte was pretty much fixed when they did the Trio hehe.
I love the Trio, tried it a few times. Really nice IEM!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back