flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jul 24, 2019 at 1:30 AM Post #17,266 of 39,414
Just yesterday I was having this exact conversation with my friend, because a few months back I accidentally dropped my Phantom on the floor, when I was trying to switch cables and the shell has a minor crack now. It was completely my fault. But here is what my friend said about his FitEar Private 222, which costs around $1300.

AF3A40E5-CCC0-411F-851A-A0F4C1EB8111.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2019 at 1:40 AM Post #17,267 of 39,414
Just yesterday I was having this exact conversation with my friend, because a few months back I accidentally dropped my Phantom on the floor, when I was trying to switch cables and the shell has a minor crack now. It was completely my fault. But here is what my friend said about his FitEar Private 222, which costs around $1300.

FitEar fully fill their shells as well, which may or may not contribute to their durability.

Jul 24, 2019 at 1:46 AM Post #17,268 of 39,414
I see. I really hope manufacturers, who charge $3K and above for a set of IEM figure out a way to make their shells more durable.

Jul 24, 2019 at 1:52 AM Post #17,269 of 39,414
Jul 24, 2019 at 1:59 AM Post #17,270 of 39,414
I see. I really hope manufacturers, who charge $3K and above for a set of IEM figure out a way to make their shells more durable.

Guess there is also the issue of balanced armature durability to consider. Given that most TOTL models are at least partially BA based these days, the inherent fragility of the armatures inside mean that while the shell can be bulletproof, unless the components inside are pretty well protected from damage as well, you could end up with an immaculate shell but some non working drivers in the event of a serious fall.

Jul 24, 2019 at 2:34 AM Post #17,271 of 39,414
I was told that BA drivers are very durable and could take a beating. Not sure how true that is though. Durability of the soldier points would depend on the quality of the soldering work and the solder itself.

Jul 24, 2019 at 2:49 AM Post #17,272 of 39,414
Well, the Rolex comparison doesn't really work in my opinion, simply because of the limits of CIEM manufacturing. With a Rolex, you can make them essentially out of any material you want, which is why they're allowed to be as durable as they are in their metal chassises. Because of a CIEM's extremely specific requirements (has to be custom-moulded, has to be relatively flexible enough to account for any tiny fit errors, has to be biocompatible, etc.), it can only be made out of acrylic or silicone, so your expectations of durability should only go that far.

Now, you can outsource your CIEM-making to guys like K2Craft and make sterling silver CIEMs as Soranik and itsfit have attempted in the past; severely limiting your order queue capacity, adding costs and adding complexity. Or, you can also do what FitEar do and make titanium CIEMs at a huge price premium. Then, there's also WAVAYA, but no one in their right mind would attempt or invest in making porcelain CIEMs unless you have the know-how that they do. So, at the end of the day, you're pretty much limited to acrylic and silicone. Perhaps Stealth Sonics will have the solution as @Jackpot77 has shown, but as far as I know, their Stealth Kompozit material is owned by them. Unfortunately, that is the nature of the product and there are no workarounds around it for now.

Again, your expectations as to how durable a product should be only stops at what the product can be. If a product can only be manufactured with certain materials, then it's unrealistic to expect any more from what that material can physically offer. That's not necessarily the fault of the manufacturer; it's just the best we humble humans can do right now. If your specific scenario makes drops and tumbles easy, then perhaps CIEMs just aren't for you.

I'm not saying I have the solution and that I'm angry that they aren't implementing it - though FiR audio is making shells that are around 50% thicker than regular acrylic, and so far they're seeing pretty positive results

I think the reason why we aren't seeing any improvements in durability is mostly because nobody actually demands them and instead we're settling for what they're offering without pushing for any improvements. The sound itself is already pretty figured out - we can't go up much more as the limit here become human biology instead of in-ear speaker tech. If they put the time and investment in the R&D and still can't figure out to make them more durable, then sure - no problem, I understand and I'll stick to my metal aluminium shells

I wouldn't say my use of IEMs is especially taxing - I have an office desk job, I go home in a car, I travel a fair bit but I generally don't drop IEMs much, except in just regular, unpredictable situations. The risk of your IEMs always being a drop away from breaking is just far too stressful imo and quite ridiculous. I do agree that they aren't really for me, as I like the peace of mind, but honestly I didn't come across one mention of durability anywhere before I purchased my A18t - not in the review websites, not in product specifications, the 64 dealer didn't say anything either.

Jul 24, 2019 at 2:59 AM Post #17,273 of 39,414
I'm not saying I have the solution and that I'm angry that they aren't implementing it - though FiR audio is making shells that are around 50% thicker than regular acrylic, and so far they're seeing pretty positive results

I think the reason why we aren't seeing any improvements in durability is mostly because nobody actually demands them and instead we're settling for what they're offering without pushing for any improvements. The sound itself is already pretty figured out - we can't go up much more as the limit here become human biology instead of in-ear speaker tech. If they put the time and investment in the R&D and still can't figure out to make them more durable, then sure - no problem, I understand and I'll stick to my metal aluminium shells

I wouldn't say my use of IEMs is especially taxing - I have an office desk job, I go home in a car, I travel a fair bit but I generally don't drop IEMs much, except in just regular, unpredictable situations. The risk of your IEMs always being a drop away from breaking is just far too stressful imo and quite ridiculous. I do agree that they aren't really for me, as I like the peace of mind, but honestly I didn't come across one mention of durability anywhere before I purchased my A18t - not in the review websites, not in product specifications, the 64 dealer didn't say anything either.

Gotcha. When it comes to a lack of pushing in that front, it does go back to what you're saying about settling for what's there. In my own experiences, I haven't had the need for any substantial leaps as far as durability is concerned. But, with that said, I do baby my gear and I've only had a couple breaks in about 4-years-and-30-IEMs of collecting/reviewing. Based on my knowledge of IEM manufacturing, adding thickness is a tricky thing as well, because the space inside a shell for internals is limited already. Unless you can specify the thickness you want with exact precision - like through 3D-printing as FiR Audio have done - then it's a very tricky science to nail for manufacturers still using the hand-poured method. Again, this is purely speculation. But yeah, I do see your point in why - just as much as durability in-and-of-itself is a possible red flag - the lack of awareness about it may be harmful too.

Jul 24, 2019 at 3:02 AM Post #17,274 of 39,414
Gotcha. When it comes to a lack of pushing in that front, it does go back to what you're saying about settling for what's there. In my own experiences, I haven't had the need for any substantial leaps as far as durability is concerned. But, with that said, I do baby my gear and I've only had a couple breaks in about 4-years-and-30-IEMs of collecting/reviewing. Based on my knowledge of IEM manufacturing, adding thickness is a tricky thing as well, because the space inside a shell for internals is limited already. Unless you can specify the thickness you want with exact precision - like through 3D-printing as FiR Audio have done - then it's a very tricky science to nail for manufacturers still using the hand-poured method. Again, this is purely speculation. But yeah, I do see your point in why - just as much as durability in-and-of-itself is a possible red flag - the lack of awareness about it may be harmful too.
I do have to recognize that while I've had plenty of positive experience with universals, this was my first venture into CIEMs, and as such - my sample is very, very limited. Might've been a case of dropping in a really awkward pressure spot, or simply a defective shell. Can't tell for sure - either way will be getting them back from the FiR reshell soon, and I'll know more then :)

Jul 24, 2019 at 5:21 AM Post #17,276 of 39,414
since there is a new tech used in iems as the trinity brass, aaw canary, wraith and khan, I wonder if the value and price of these iems are for the amazing sound or just that they have a new tech when compared to iems as solaris, empire ears legend x

i just wonder which iem to buy to add to my kse1500, as I like to have an iem I can use with just a dap

I listen to all genres, and I like the sound signature to be big sound sound stage, controlled bass, full detailed great mids that are not thin and detailed highs but never harsh

I am thinking bout 64audio u18t, 64audio trio, or any of the new tech iems that have electrostat drivers in them

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2019 at 5:27 AM Post #17,277 of 39,414
Jul 24, 2019 at 5:42 AM Post #17,279 of 39,414
As a side note I have taken a slight break from the IEM, at least for a couple of days.

20190723_184533~2.jpg

Jul 24, 2019 at 5:45 AM Post #17,280 of 39,414

Users who are viewing this thread

Back