Focal Clear headphones
Jan 13, 2024 at 6:02 AM Post #12,331 of 12,636
Just received a shipment from my preferred cable supplier, Hart Audio.
Dual 3.5 mm to 4.4 mm TRRRS in Charcoal Grey - The perfect match for my Focal Clear :)

Jart Audio + Focal Clear - 2.jpeg Jart Audio + Focal Clear - 3.jpegJart Audio + Focal Clear - 4.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 8:37 AM Post #12,332 of 12,636
very minor tape hiss, crack and pop, some compression in the vocal, 5:23 appears to be compression artifact, overall the sound is listenable and no crackle in choir vocal. This is a poorly recorded/youtube compressed piece. I would try to find the same track on Qobuz or Tidal or even better on CD/SACD and try again.

I tried FLAC and got a better experience ; still, the voices are "saturated", like covered by a slight sizzling veil.
I hear it especially on the 4th note held and on the 5th (with even a left/right crackle on this one).

The memory of the voice was clearer in my mind.

Jan 13, 2024 at 10:22 AM Post #12,333 of 12,636
I tried FLAC and got a better experience ; still, the voices are "saturated", like covered by a slight sizzling veil.
I hear it especially on the 4th note held and on the 5th (with even a left/right crackle on this one).

The memory of the voice was clearer in my mind.
Found your problem. Your cans are fine.

Jan 13, 2024 at 12:51 PM Post #12,335 of 12,636
Jan 13, 2024 at 2:32 PM Post #12,336 of 12,636
Probably.
I was really expecting a cleaner recording.
For poops and giggles I listened to that same track on Qobuz playing back on my reference headphone rig driving Utopia. You can clearly hear tape hiss, noise and crackle now. It’s not annoying but very prominent during quiet passages. I think they were recording in a church or some huge venue so you hear a lot of echos and resonance. I think the vocal compression is less of actual compression but sounds more like microphone picking up resonance at certain frequencies. Still don’t hear any crackle in the vocal. Utopia sounds a lot better than Clear OG. The soundstage was massive and vocal was quite warm and intimate except for the resonance at certain frequencies from bad mic placement.

Jan 15, 2024 at 6:45 AM Post #12,337 of 12,636
Alright, I ended up doing a serious listening session with my Focal Clear for the last several hours. I have come up with an updated EQ. I highly recommend trying this. With this EQ, the soundstage width and depth both improve. Bass is deep, nicely defined, and tight. The slight midbass hump of the stock tuning has been removed. Instruments have improved layering and separation. I think you will be very impressed if you try this.

Pre-Amp = -5

38Hz = +2 Q 1 Low Shelf Filter
120Hz = -1 Q 3
1.1kHz = -2 Q 2
4kHz = +1 Q 3
5.95kHz = -2 Q 4.5
11.35kHz = -2 Q 3

Jan 15, 2024 at 2:47 PM Post #12,338 of 12,636
Alright, I ended up doing a serious listening session with my Focal Clear for the last several hours. I have come up with an updated EQ. I highly recommend trying this. With this EQ, the soundstage width and depth both improve. Bass is deep, nicely defined, and tight. The slight midbass hump of the stock tuning has been removed. Instruments have improved layering and separation. I think you will be very impressed if you try this.

Pre-Amp = -5

38Hz = +2 Q 1 Low Shelf Filter
120Hz = -1 Q 3
1.1kHz = -2 Q 2
4kHz = +1 Q 3
5.95kHz = -2 Q 4.5
11.35kHz = -2 Q 3

Hi, I'm currently trying and it's pretty nice ! I think it's a little bit warmer, less precise on each instrument but more on all (the soundstage and layering improve). The bass can sature a little bit on some musics for me.

Jan 16, 2024 at 8:31 AM Post #12,341 of 12,636
It’s been almost 20 years I’ve been into audio and headphones in particular. I remember those days that I was expecting some magical “wow” factors and definitely some cans really delivered that. Like extraordinary image distinction and note isolation of STAXs or mesmerizing midrange portrayal of k1000. Up to this date I still want that “WOW” thing, but No matter how special that factor is, I find myself steering toward that extra normal headphone that just isn’t in the way of the music, it just delivers music in a comprehensive way, without special tricks. Back in the days, I probably wouldn’t appreciate what OG CLEARs (also Utopia) do. It sure doesn’t have THAT wow factor, but when you experience enough of those WOW makers, you start to appreciate headphones like Clears and HD600 more. like most of you, I have owned lots of different headphones, but no matter how special they are, I really can’t put on my headphones, shuffle my playlist and hope for the best. With Clear however, I simply put it on and let it just deliver the music. It doesn’t force you to listen to a specific genres, quiet opposite in-fact, it make me enjoy the music not the gears and equipments. I’m totally happy if now I’m listening to Schnittke and upcoming track is worakls - nocturne, you know. It just delivers.

For appreciating what clear does you should go way too deep into the rabbit hole. Because of that, if Someone new to hobby! Asks me what to get if he/she wants to go to kilobuck territory, I definitely won’t recommend Clears, since they are way too Normal for someone expecting to get wowed. But I use it as my main headphone.

Jan 16, 2024 at 8:56 AM Post #12,342 of 12,636
For appreciating what clear does you should go way too deep into the rabbit hole. Because of that, if Someone new to hobby! Asks me what to get if he/she wants to go to kilobuck territory, I definitely won’t recommend Clears, since they are way too Normal for someone expecting to get wowed. But I use it as my main headphone.
What's the "rabbit hole" ?

I've had the opposite experience: I'm not an audiophile, these are my first high-end headphones, I don't get any 'wow effect' (and I'm not interested in that) but I find them very musical, detailed and pleasant to listen to on all types of music.

Jan 16, 2024 at 9:24 AM Post #12,343 of 12,636
Because of that, if Someone new to hobby! Asks me what to get if he/she wants to go to kilobuck territory, I definitely won’t recommend Clears, since they are way too Normal for someone expecting to get wowed. But I use it as my main headphone.
Interesting perspective. I haven't tried anything "better" (more expensive, higher end) than the Clear. For me, the wow that the Clear delivers is that they are just so good across the board. Which is what I think you mean by "normal."

For people outside the audiophile world, those who just use the earbuds that come with their iPhone or even AirPods, the Clear will be a definite wow. The "average Joe" has no idea what good audio gear can deliver.

Jan 16, 2024 at 2:10 PM Post #12,344 of 12,636
What's the "rabbit hole" ?

I've had the opposite experience: I'm not an audiophile, these are my first high-end headphones, I don't get any 'wow effect' (and I'm not interested in that) but I find them very musical, detailed and pleasant to listen to on all types of music.
I didn’t clarify properly. Sorry for that. You absolutely are right. I meant those who expect extraordinary things when they go to high end territory.

You have a point. I also dislike this rabbit hole metaphor. I just meant they are really good at representing THE music no matter the genre. But for some people, listening to something like HD800s or abyss stuff for the “first time”, may sound much more “different” than a normal entry level headphone.

But Clears never cease to deliver and that’s why i got two pairs of spare pads for them since these are my daily headphone.

sorry if unintentionally, I sounded like an arrogant cocky douchebag. We both love music. And more experience mostly means more mistakes. So I can really appreciate Clear.

Jan 16, 2024 at 2:17 PM Post #12,345 of 12,636
Interesting perspective. I haven't tried anything "better" (more expensive, higher end) than the Clear. For me, the wow that the Clear delivers is that they are just so good across the board. Which is what I think you mean by "normal."

For people outside the audiophile world, those who just use the earbuds that come with their iPhone or even AirPods, the Clear will be a definite wow. The "average Joe" has no idea what good audio gear can deliver.
Exactly. I love Clears because They are just a proper, comprehensive and “Normal” sounding headphone. It just portrays music as normal and intact as I want to hear it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back