Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Aug 8, 2016 at 8:21 AM Post #1,591 of 5,632
'Originally Posted by deafdoorknob /img/forum/go_quote.gif

At the hifi show this weekend, the Utopia and Elear were hooked up to either a Naim DAC V-1 DAC/headphone amp and the 5+ TIMES more expensive Goldmund Telos DAC/headphone amp, my friend and I both vastly preferred the more "meaty" presentation of the more affordable Naim for the Utopia and 50/50 in regards to the Elear, I loved how dynamic and tonally rich it sounded with Naim, whereas my friend preferred the transparency that the Goldmund gave the Elear.'

No surprise the Naim works well with the Focals. They are the same company after all and the DAC V1 along with  other Naim gear were surely used in the development of the headphones. 

Apparently the V1 works nicely with the Spirit Classic. If only I could afford one :frowning2:  

The naim DAC v1 has been out for a while now, I own it and love it with certain headphones even more than my chord Dave. The Dave is amazing with home audio but for headphones can become a bit too transparent I'm sure in a similar way to other more expensive DACs. Naim has an enjoyable way of coloring up the music.

Aug 8, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #1,592 of 5,632
The naim DAC v1 has been out for a while now, I own it and love it with certain headphones even more than my chord Dave. The Dave is amazing with home audio but for headphones can become a bit too transparent I'm sure in a similar way to other more expensive DACs. Naim has an enjoyable way of coloring up the music.

I notice you do also own the Classics. If you don't mind me asking; are they a particularly good match with the Naim?

Aug 8, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #1,593 of 5,632
I notice you do also own the Classics. If you don't mind me asking; are they a particularly good match with the Naim?

They are a great match, I don't use the classic with my home headphone DAC much since there closed, I use the them with my mojo more. The classics and naim have a very forward fun sound, great with rock and jazz.

Aug 8, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #1,594 of 5,632
Hello everyone,

I have an Earsonics Velvet that is more like a fun IEM and I have a JH Rosie that sounds more natural-midbassy, warm. I'm looking for a HP that is open-back that has a huge soundstage and more natural than Velvet and Rosie.
I'm listening to everything but mostly Rock and Metal. So a fast sounding all-rounder would work awesome.

I don't know if this is the right place for that but can I ask what would you prefer?
I made a list. Elear, HE560, HE500, HE-6 and HD800 is on my list. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 8, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #1,596 of 5,632
Hello everyone,

I have an Earsonics Velvet that is more like a fun IEM and I have a JH Rosie that sounds more natural-midbassy, warm. I'm looking for a HP that is open-back that has a huge soundstage and more natural than Velvet and Rosie.
I'm listening to everything but mostly Rock and Metal. So a fast sounding all-rounder would work awesome.

I don't know if this is the right place for that but can I ask what would you prefer?
I made a list. Elear, HE560, HE500, HE-6 and HD800 is on my list. :)  

I love my hd800's but they are not warm or super bassy, even though they are less money the hd600 or hd650 might be more your taste. I'd also try Audeze LCD 2 or 3. I haven't heard the elear yet but can't wait to try them. Not a huge fan of hifi man series until you hit the X, but many people like the 560. Everyone has different taste so I'd suggest demoing them.

Aug 8, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #1,597 of 5,632
Hello everyone,

I made a list. Elear, HE560, HE500, HE-6 and HD800 is on my list. :)  

Soundstage and warmth of those you listed would fo to the Elear but the Elear soundstage is not huge but still has good space. The 800 is but its not warm. The Audeze lcd2 soundstage sucks but it is warm and has a nice balance. The LCD X has a deeper soundstage than the above but the Elear is a little more spacious. The Edition X is probably the biggest in soundstage for being warm, if you dont mind softer dynamics and enjoy a more relaxing and enveloping sound than that is the ticket. Just find a deal on it because it is very overpriced. Other than that the Elear is probably the best mixture of aspects and has a great build, is priced well, and is warm. The Kennerton Vali is warm as well and has a super punchy bass with heavy tones its just not as spacious as the Elear but is warmer even. The Omni if you dont mind a semi Open is spacious, warm, with good imaging as well and is less laid back than the Edition X.

Aug 8, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #1,598 of 5,632
HD800 has a warm tilt from mid-bass to upper mid-lower treble transition, so in that sense I would consider it warm sounding through the midrange, as it puts emphasis on fundamentals over harmonics.  However its treble is bright.

HE-X is the 1st headphone that pops into my mind when warm and soundstage combination is concerned though.  I can transition to the HE-X from just listening to the HD800 and not be dissatisfied with the HE-X's soundstage; not very many headphones can do that.

Aug 8, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #1,599 of 5,632
I love my hd800's but they are not warm or super bassy, even though they are less money the hd600 or hd650 might be more your taste. I'd also try Audeze LCD 2 or 3. I haven't heard the elear yet but can't wait to try them. Not a huge fan of hifi man series until you hit the X, but many people like the 560. Everyone has different taste so I'd suggest demoing them.

Soundstage and warmth of those you listed would fo to the Elear but the Elear soundstage is not huge but still has good space. The 800 is but its not warm. The Audeze lcd2 soundstage sucks but it is warm and has a nice balance. The LCD X has a deeper soundstage than the above but the Elear is a little more spacious. The Edition X is probably the biggest in soundstage for being warm, if you dont mind softer dynamics and enjoy a more relaxing and enveloping sound than that is the ticket. Just find a deal on it because it is very overpriced. Other than that the Elear is probably the best mixture of aspects and has a great build, is priced well, and is warm. The Kennerton Vali is warm as well and has a super punchy bass with heavy tones its just not as spacious as the Elear but is warmer even. The Omni if you dont mind a semi Open is spacious, warm, with good imaging as well and is less laid back than the Edition X.

Firstly, thank you for your answers. I've noted it all.
Sorry, English is not my primary language and I'm a sloppy writer, so I caused a misunderstanding. I'm not looking for a warm sound, I'm looking for a neutral one. I implied JH Rosie is warm, not the thing I'm looking for. The thing I'm looking for should have a neutral sound with a good soundstage and separation. (and it should be fast, preferably faster than the HD800)
I've looked into Elear's measurements that published on innerfidelity and it seems like the thing I'm looking for. It looks like a upper-mid(3-5kHZ) decreased HE1000 according to the measurements. And it looks like, it has a smooth boom on the 100hz-side that would make Elear more enjoyable than HE1000, but measurements are measurements, they don't tell you much, so I've decided to ask because I can't demo any of it in Turkey that is on my list.
I'll be in London in this january or february. I'll buy whatever I choose from there. Does anyone know how to demo things in London?
o2smile.gif

I hope the prices is not that exaggrated in UK. 
atsmile.gif

Aug 8, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #1,600 of 5,632
Firstly, thank you for your answers. I've noted it all.
Sorry, English is not my primary language and I'm a sloppy writer, so I caused a misunderstanding. I'm not looking for a warm sound, I'm looking for a neutral one. I implied JH Rosie is warm, not the thing I'm looking for. The thing I'm looking for should have a neutral sound with a good soundstage and separation. (and it should be fast, preferably faster than the HD800)
I've looked into Elear's measurements that published on innerfidelity and it seems like the thing I'm looking for. It looks like a upper-mid(3-5kHZ) decreased HE1000 according to the measurements. And it looks like, it has a smooth boom on the 100hz-side that would make Elear more enjoyable than HE1000, but measurements are measurements, they don't tell you much, so I've decided to ask because I can't demo any of it in Turkey that is on my list.
I'll be in London in this january or february. I'll buy whatever I choose from there. Does anyone know how to demo things in London? :o2smile:
I hope the prices is not that exaggrated in UK. :atsmile:  

If your looking for better timing than the hd800, I personally love my grado gs1000 but they are not known for hard hitting bass, but amazing mid range and very open. The rs1000 has a bit more bass but I like the vocals and strings on the gs1000 better.

Aug 8, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #1,602 of 5,632
I guess some would consider the Utopia to be "sterile", but personally I think the Utopia is already a good chunk more "fun" compared to something like the HD800.
Mercer likes more bass head type headphones and as I posted before he only spent not more than 2 minutes with them.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Aug 8, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #1,603 of 5,632

Started to dislike Europe now. Bummer ! Feels like I want my money back........

Might be a good idea to hold off and wait for the Elear Gen2, which might be announced a month after the original Elear reaches retailers.

Aug 8, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #1,605 of 5,632

Might be a good idea to hold off and wait for the Elear Gen2, which might be announced a month after the original Elear reaches retailers.

Yes, but when will it be delivered?
See?

Come on guys, think about the middle east. You're the lucky ones. Even phone companies takes stock earbuds out from the boxes in my country. 
For example I just learned what pricetag Elear will have in my country. 1300€... If it really arrives...
Well, I'm not buying it from here. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back