For 6AS7G tube rollers here .....
Mar 7, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #16 of 9,575
What about a Chatham 6AS7G? (JAN-CAHG-6AS7G) Is this the same thing as the 5998, or a near equivalent? I found one of these (used) that's cheap, trying to decide whether to grab it...

Mar 7, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #17 of 9,575
No, the Chatham 6AS7G is...well..a 6AS7G
biggrin.gif
It's actually a VERY nice tube, the JAN-Chatham 6AS7G. This is what I am using right this minute in my DV337. Very nice.

Also, the 5998, while generally usable in 6AS7G designs, is NOT identical to the 6AS7G. It has significantly higher transconductance than the 6AS7G. It works fine in the Darkvoice and Singlepower amps that use the 6AS7G, but the tubes are not 100% identical and the 5998 may not work perfectly in every application calling for a 6AS7.

Mar 7, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #18 of 9,575
Well, obviously I'm thinking about this for my Jade - which does call for a 6AS7G. Ok, sounds like I should get this Chatham 6AS7G, it's cheap enough I can afford to try it out while I'm looking for something "better"...

Mar 7, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #19 of 9,575
Yep, that is a nice tube. Go for it!

Mar 7, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #20 of 9,575
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 6080W is about the same as the 6080 just a different manufacturing era .... there is the 6080WA /B /C.

The 2399 is a better quality 6AS7G with tighter section matching and apparently the ability to handle higher plate current. This tube in the pic has the plates that look like the 5998 plates .... which makes sense since most 5998s were made by TS and this example is a TS 2399. This tube is possibly almost identical to some of the 6AS7s with the 5998 plates. But, I think this tube sounds the same as all my other TS 6AS7s. Personally, unless you need more gain I like the 6AS7G as well as any tube in this series.

HPIM0283.jpg

The W in the 6080W series means Militerized/Rggedized. If you compare the 6080 and the 6080W and the 6080WB, they are progressively more overbuilt. The 6080WB is supposed to withstand up to 500G's or some nonsense. It looks like a Tank, and in at least my opinion sounds like one also. Was not my favorite.

Mar 7, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #21 of 9,575
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, the Chatham 6AS7G is...well..a 6AS7G
biggrin.gif
It's actually a VERY nice tube, the JAN-Chatham 6AS7G. This is what I am using right this minute in my DV337SE. Very nice.

Also, the 5998, while generally usable in 6AS7G designs, is NOT identical to the 6AS7G. It has significantly higher transconductance than the 6AS7G. It works fine in the Darkvoice and Singlepower amps that use the 6AS7G, but the tubes are not 100% identical and the 5998 may not work perfectly in every application calling for a 6AS7.

Hi,
You have the 337 and the 337SE? Can you compare and contrast them? Do you have a PIC of the inside of your 337SE?

Les

Mar 7, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #22 of 9,575
The physical weight difference between the standard RCA standard and Tung Sol WB 6080 is very noticeable. The WBs are monsters.

Mar 7, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #23 of 9,575
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The W in the 6080W series means Militerized/Rggedized. If you compare the 6080 and the 6080W and the 6080WB, they are progressively more overbuilt. The 6080WB is supposed to withstand up to 500G's or some nonsense. It looks like a Tank, and in at least my opinion sounds like one also. Was not my favorite.

I am well aware of what the W means. But, the tube is the same. All the 6080s came off the same assembly line. After production these tubes were subjected to various tests and if the tubes passed the tests then the tubes were accepted by the military. They were tested in lots and if the lot passed the tubes were accepted for 30 days until the next lot was tested and so on.

The same tubes sold to consumers kept the standard 6080 designation as they were not subjected to the W testing specifications. But, to make a valid comparison you need to compare tubes from the same production era.

I think the 6080 you are referring to was the Bendix which was the most overbuilt tube I know of; although the Bendix 6900 is close. Raytheon was probably the largest supplier of the 6080WA/WB.

The link below gives the VERY specific testing standards for the 6080WB ....

http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/f...8/6/6080WB.pdf

Mar 7, 2009 at 4:36 AM Post #24 of 9,575
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The physical weight difference between the standard RCA standard and Tung Sol WB 6080 is very noticeable. The WBs are monsters.

Took me a few minutes to find this:

Description
The Bendix 6080WB is finest 6080/6AS7 type ever made. It is constructed with Titanium support rods, gold grids, milled ceramic spacers, milled ceramic insulators, and Nonex high temp, high strength glass. Designed to withstand 500 G's peak, and 300 G's continuous. These tubes are from NOS original cold war stocks. They were replacements for aerospace applications including guided missle systems of the day. Sonically they exhibit very tight and controlled bass response, excellent precision, beautiful inner detail, and wide soundstage. These are my favorite tubes of all time for output stages.

These are not my words, I got them off an Audiogon Post

I liked the Looks of them, but the sound was not for me so I sold mine.

Mar 7, 2009 at 2:09 PM Post #25 of 9,575
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,
You have the 337 and the 337SE? Can you compare and contrast them? Do you have a PIC of the inside of your 337SE?

Les

Sorry Les, it was a typo/brain fart. I have the original 337, and a 336SE
wink.gif

I also have a pair of Bendix 6080WB, but I was less than impressed with their sound as well. Fortunately I "only" paid $75/pair for mine, NOS. I have seen some people ask $300/pair for these, which IMO is insane.

Mar 7, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #26 of 9,575
Quote:

wink.gif

I also have a pair of Bendix 6080WB, but I was less than impressed with their sound as well. Fortunately I "only" paid $75/pair for mine, NOS. I have seen some people ask $300/pair for these, which IMO is insane.

Hi Sky,
RATS, was hoping you had got a 337SE since you had the 337. I imagine there's not tons of difference in the SQ. But then the other side of me wants there to be some Justification for the $$$ difference.
I actually liked the Cheap no-name 6080s that came free with the 337SE rather than the WB's. The WB's seemed a little dark and muddled to me. Very quiet though. Beautiful build on the DV's though.

Les

Mar 7, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #27 of 9,575
Is the 7se a beefed up power supply? If so, always buy as much power supply as you can afford.

With a TS 2c51 it was muddy. A WE put it into the lush range. They need a bright gain tube.

PM if anyone is willing to come off a pr of TS NOS 5998s.

Mar 7, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #28 of 9,575
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the 7se a beefed up power supply? If so, always buy as much power supply as you can afford.

With a TS 2c51 it was muddy. A WE put it into the lush range. They need a bright gain tube.

PM if anyone is willing to come off a pr of TS NOS 5998s.

Heh! I don' think that AMP is wanting in the Power Supply dept!!! Have you seen those two monstrous Black lumps on top of it? That AMP is the definition of Overbuilt!!

You might want to try Jim at:

Vaccum Tubes INC

He has outstanding Prices on Tubes. Knows his stuff. I bought a set of TS 5998's from Him($25 ea) and all those NIB EF80 Bugle BOYZ. The EF80 boxes had never been opened and they were $5 each!! All tested like 120% on a Triplett 3444.

Mar 7, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #29 of 9,575
Quote:

wink.gif

I hate to admit this. But the WB's I got were Tung Sols, and were Identical to the Bendix. I saw a "BOX" of 6080's on Ebay from a guy with one of those threatening auctions saying what he would do to you if you didn't follow all HIS rules. Well, I aske dfor PIX of the Tubes. Saw the WB's and like 14 other pretty nice 6080's of various types.

Took a chance figuring I could get some bux for the WB's if I didn't like them. Bought the whole shebang with free shipping for $9.99.

All tested 100% or better. Listened to the WB's, put em up for sale and sold em' for $75 to a guy who loves them.

Everybody's happy in the end. Me, the auction guy, and the guy who got the WB's.

And I still have a box of various nice 6080's in case of a Nuclear Strike in South FL!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back