Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements
May 26, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #2,326 of 2,832
Does anyone know where I can buy more of the "mesh" material that covers the stock driver? I'd love to have some to try to help keep my open cups from getting the innards dirty. (And I think they look better, too).

May 26, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #2,327 of 2,832
If you go to a fabric shop, look at some of the material made by Pellon.
They likely call it "sheer" it can be double side taped around again.
Maybe better yet and more transparent is stretched nylon leggings.
AllI can think of at the moment that is cheap and easily found.

Jun 9, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #2,329 of 2,832
Jun 14, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #2,330 of 2,832
I've been playing around my T50rp mk3 recently, taping up vents, putting different materials in front of the driver, and stuffing cotton into the ear cups. Recently I've discovered a slight channel imbalance where the left side is about 15% louder than the right side. I've never noticed it before I started playing around with cotton in the ear cups. Can adding cotton cause a channel imbalance? Or was this always there I didn't notice until I was actively listening for changes I may or may not have made?

Jun 14, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #2,331 of 2,832
I need some help. I have MK3's and I bought the mayflower kit. I have the Sure 840 pads as well. I did the kit just like the video shows. paxmate in the sides of the cups with little "ladder" configuration. Soft felt in the center of the cup. Newplast in the baffles and stiff felt with holes punched in it over the back of the driver. Then what looks like the rite-aid rolled cotton in the cups. I also got their die cut circles that go on the front of the baffle. Put it all together just like the video and BAM! no more bass whatsoever and treble is ear piercing! So I removed the felt on the backs of the drivers and bass is back. Treble is a tiny bit more tamed but not satisfactory. When listening to Tool - Lateralus there are parts where cymbals are just being hammered and the guitar is screaming high notes. It's just way too much. Almost painful. How can I bring that treble down a notch or two?

Jun 14, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #2,332 of 2,832
So close, just need holes drilled out for headband assembly, cable entry (smc) and a Danish oil bath and a whole lot of finish work. No oil inside cups for sonic integrity. 20170614_183047.jpg 20170614_183101.jpg 20170614_183106.jpg

Jun 14, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #2,333 of 2,832
I put a strip of soft adhesive felt across the center row of the outside of the drivers and that seemed to be the fix that I was looking for. I still wonder if some sq could be gained by putting something on the back of the driver? What are other people doing with MKIII's?

Jun 16, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #2,334 of 2,832
So close, just need holes drilled out for headband assembly, cable entry (smc) and a Danish oil bath and a whole lot of finish work. No oil inside cups for sonic integrity.

Looks absolutely awesome! Lathed cups and baffles lend themselves best to the T20v2 drivers--I recommend checking them out! I put them into some @fleasbaby customs and they blow the experience out of the water!

I put a strip of soft adhesive felt across the center row of the outside of the drivers and that seemed to be the fix that I was looking for. I still wonder if some sq could be gained by putting something on the back of the driver? What are other people doing with MKIII's?

I actually added a whole sheet of porous medical paper tape to the back of my MK3 driver once, it had pretty good results. Adhering a since "cube" of foam to a specific "cell" in the tic-tac-toe looking grid to the back of the driver also changes response, too. Are you also experimenting with waveguides?

Jun 17, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #2,335 of 2,832
I actually added a whole sheet of porous medical paper tape to the back of my MK3 driver once, it had pretty good results. Adhering a since "cube" of foam to a specific "cell" in the tic-tac-toe looking grid to the back of the driver also changes response, too. Are you also experimenting with waveguides?
I will try the porous medical paper tape. Thanks!
I am going to print some waveguides as soon as I get a chance. I only have an FDM printer. Even at its best res it can't come close to SLA. (0.1mm is the lowest layer height that I can make good prints at) I am planning to print four of each of ZGLISZCZ's wave guides and then smooth them out with some acetone. I know it won't be a 100% accurate production, but it's what I have to work with. This way I can try every possible combo front and back. If someone has an SLA printer I would pay for some wave guides. Shapeways is just way to expensive for me right now.

Aug 4, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #2,337 of 2,832
I just picked up some used T50RP Mk3's with 1540 pads. I am looking for a way to bring the mids more forward with maybe bit more body. Any tips? The previous owner already affixed some type of foam/cloth tape to the back of the driver and filled in the baffles with some clay stuff.

I have spent the last hour looking for specific info in these threads but they are just so looooong.

Any help is appreciated.

Aug 5, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #2,338 of 2,832
complete, just STILL waiting on the smc connectors i bought off ebay, from china, now a month ago. Barely any internal mods(yet) just some cotton, i did some things to the ear side of the cups, when i take them back apart to do the smc connectors ill take pictures of the baffles and everything. Pretty happy with the way the finish came out, its like a glass piano finish in person. 20, i think, coats of polycrylic after a limba bath, then every few coats sand w 800 or higher grit. After last couple coats let cure for 3 weeks, then wet sand starting at 1000 grit, then 1500, then 2000. Then rubbing compound, then paste wax and buff out. Never did that before but had fun. I hope i can get them sounding as good as they look!! Thats the most important part after all! Oh and this pilot pad added to the Hifiman frame, is amazing! Beyond comfortable with that and the alpha pads. Ive always loved the hifiman frame setup.t50 build-2.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2017 at 8:14 PM Post #2,339 of 2,832
complete, just STILL waiting on the smc connectors i bought off ebay, from china, now a month ago. Barely any internal mods(yet) just some cotton, i did some things to the ear side of the cups, when i take them back apart to do the smc connectors ill take pictures of the baffles and everything. Pretty happy with the way the finish came out, its like a glass piano finish in person. 20, i think, coats of polycrylic after a limba bath, then every few coats sand w 800 or higher grit. After last couple coats let cure for 3 weeks, then wet sand starting at 1000 grit, then 1500, then 2000. Then rubbing compound, then paste wax and buff out. Never did that before but had fun. I hope i can get them sounding as good as they look!! Thats the most important part after all! Oh and this pilot pad added to the Hifiman frame, is amazing! Beyond comfortable with that and the alpha pads. Ive always loved the hifiman frame setup.

Looking amazing! Where'd you get the HiFiman frame? Do they sell those parts separately? I can't say I'm a fan as my head is too big for them, but they do look wonderful. Tuning time looks like it'll be really fun. What do the baffles look like?

Try giving some of the waveguides a shot!

Aug 5, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #2,340 of 2,832
Where do I get wave guides? And I bought the hifiman frame years ago for like 60 bucks. Nowadays you can find a beat up he400 for like 80 complete, which I've been thinking of doing and making some semi closed he400, and trying to mod them to rid thay nasty treble spike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back