Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Dec 28, 2015 at 4:35 AM Post #3,496 of 12,087
Okay the denon pads is quite a bit cheaper then the TH-900 pads but about as good at taming the bass?  TH-600 pads I haven´t been able to find yet.

Can´t find the TH-900 pads either just the fullcompass us site. I thought I found a link for them in this page but must remember wrong.

Dec 28, 2015 at 5:46 AM Post #3,497 of 12,087
Okay the denon pads is quite a bit cheaper then the TH-900 pads but about as good at taming the bass?  TH-600 pads I haven´t been able to find yet.

Can´t find the TH-900 pads either just the fullcompass us site. I thought I found a link for them in this page but must remember wrong.

The denon pads is a middle ground. It lean towards the X00's original signature but cleans up the bass a bit opening up the soundstage and giving a bit more clarity to the mids as well as adding a little bit more sparkle to the treble.

The TH-900 pads does that even more dramatically at the expense of the mids being pushed back a bit due to the ears being farther away from the drivers. It really cleans up the bass.

Dec 28, 2015 at 5:50 AM Post #3,498 of 12,087

At last together as ONE. #33 reporting in !!!! Burn baby burnnnnn!!!!☺️

Dec 28, 2015 at 6:43 AM Post #3,499 of 12,087
The denon pads is a middle ground. It lean towards the X00's original signature but cleans up the bass a bit opening up the soundstage and giving a bit more clarity to the mids as well as adding a little bit more sparkle to the treble.

The TH-900 pads does that even more dramatically at the expense of the mids being pushed back a bit due to the ears being farther away from the drivers. It really cleans up the bass.

Might as well go for the TH-900 then if I can find it. google totally fails me :frowning2:

Dec 28, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #3,502 of 12,087
Anyone else have twisting of the cable sheath? The sheath up to the right cup on mine is twisted and although it's purely cosmetic it's kinda bugging me.

Yup. Mine arrived pretty twisted up actually. Looping the cable between the connections and the Y splitter straightened the majority of it out but didn't solve the issue. Really wish I could find someone close by to do a removable cable mod on this and my DT880. 

Dec 28, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #3,504 of 12,087
Dec 28, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #3,505 of 12,087

Will has stated he'd be contacting them about putting in a second order for another 1000, but I never saw any confirmation on that.  My best guess is that they simply alter their line at some point and turn the THX00 into the TH700, add detachable cables, price it at $599, and have the TH900MkII stay at basically the same price.  Wonder if they'd continue to offer the TH600 at a slightly lower price (maybe the $399 that the THX00 was selling for?)

I will be quite saddened if they do this, the $399 price point was the main draw of the TH-X00 and raising it by $200 would be a major turn-off. There's a chance the TH-X00 might go down the route of the K7xx though, and I sure hope it goes that way.

Dec 28, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #3,506 of 12,087
  I will be quite saddened if they do this, the $399 price point was the main draw of the TH-X00 and raising it by $200 would be a major turn-off. There's a chance the TH-X00 might go down the route of the K7xx though, and I sure hope it goes that way.

Yeah, there are two routes that massdrop exclusives have gone: staying regular recurring drops or having a slightly higher price and becoming a regular part of a company's line, but occasionally kicking massdrop some lower price drops as well.  The THX00 (and m9XX) were a bit unusual, as they were entirely new products.  The K7XX is really just a 65th anniversary in a difference color scheme, so it makes sense it stays as a recurring MD exclusive.  It'd be kind of weird if Fostex continually manufactured the THX00 for massdrop, and never made it a part of their line if it stayed popular.  I could see it, but I could also definitely see them using massdrop to test the waters, kick a "early adopter" discount, and then using it to essentially replace the TH600, which most evidence seems to indicate that the TH600 has *not* sold well.

At the very least I am almost certain there will be a second drop round of massdrop exclusive of the THX00 at $399

Dec 28, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #3,507 of 12,087

Yeah, there are two routes that massdrop exclusives have gone: staying regular recurring drops or having a slightly higher price and becoming a regular part of a company's line, but occasionally kicking massdrop some lower price drops as well.  The THX00 (and m9XX) were a bit unusual, as they were entirely new products.  The K7XX is really just a 65th anniversary in a difference color scheme, so it makes sense it stays as a recurring MD exclusive.  It'd be kind of weird if Fostex continually manufactured the THX00 for massdrop, and never made it a part of their line if it stayed popular.  I could see it, but I could also definitely see them using massdrop to test the waters, kick a "early adopter" discount, and then using it to essentially replace the TH600, which most evidence seems to indicate that the TH600 has sold well.

At the very least I am almost certain there will be a second drop round of massdrop exclusive of the THX00 at $399

I believe they already have 3000 requests for another drop.

Dec 28, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #3,508 of 12,087

I believe they already have 3000 requests for another drop.

well, yes, sure.  But that doesn't really mean a whole lot.  Will had already sent in a request for a second round before the first drop even ended, and it was apparent the drop would be a massive success.  At this point it's mostly up to Fostex with regards to what they want to do.  It's very clear that Massdrop is 100% on board for offering the THX00 as long as Fostex makes it available.  

Dec 28, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #3,509 of 12,087

Yeah, there are two routes that massdrop exclusives have gone: staying regular recurring drops or having a slightly higher price and becoming a regular part of a company's line, but occasionally kicking massdrop some lower price drops as well.  The THX00 (and m9XX) were a bit unusual, as they were entirely new products.  The K7XX is really just a 65th anniversary in a difference color scheme, so it makes sense it stays as a recurring MD exclusive.  It'd be kind of weird if Fostex continually manufactured the THX00 for massdrop, and never made it a part of their line if it stayed popular.  I could see it, but I could also definitely see them using massdrop to test the waters, kick a "early adopter" discount, and then using it to essentially replace the TH600, which most evidence seems to indicate that the TH600 has sold well.

I can see where you are coming from for sure. 

I do believe there'll be more drops for now though. I think it's wise for them to capitalize on the hype while it's still huge. I can see them assimilating it into their productline and maybe raising the price once the initial hype/sales start to slow/die down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back