Germanium's Sound blaster ZXR mod thread
Mar 13, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #31 of 272
I've got about 5 hours on it now and after adjusting my EQ curve there is clarity there that didn't exist before. BTW, if you want to use any of my pics in your OP to show users what it looks like, that is fine.

In what ways did you adjust the EQ?

Mar 13, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #32 of 272

Mar 13, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #33 of 272
Looks like you brought them down closer to level & you still getting more detail than before from what you were saying particularly in the presence region.

Mar 13, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #34 of 272
Yea that is about what I saw between them too, like I said before, feel free to use any pictures I have posted in the original post you made.

Mar 13, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #35 of 272
  Yea that is about what I saw between them too, like I said before, feel free to use any pictures I have posted in the original post you made.

You may want to try headphones as well now & compare to your tube DAC/Amp. Just curious if my discription of have a tube like sound is in fact true. I have listened to a tube preamp some years back that used the 6922 tube you are using & it seemed to have a somewhat bright & very open sound as well.

Mar 14, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #36 of 272
Wow...  With headphones hooked up, this almost rivals my Aune T1 w/ Siemens 6992...   Thanks for the tip.

Is there anything else we can do to these cards that we haven't already done (DC Coupled Buffer + Opamp Upgrade)?  lol

Mar 14, 2014 at 5:11 AM Post #37 of 272
  Wow...  With headphones hooked up, this almost rivals my Aune T1 w/ Siemens 6992...   Thanks for the tip.

Is there anything else we can do to these cards that we haven't already done (DC Coupled Buffer + Opamp Upgrade)?  lol

output is already D.C. coupled. You have already done an opamp upgrade. I personally am running stock opamps & it sounds great.

Mar 16, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #38 of 272
NCSUZoSo

Just checking in with you to see what your opinion is now that you had more time to listen to it.

Mar 17, 2014 at 8:07 AM Post #39 of 272
Well personally I am a classic rock guy, but playing even just these two songs in 48khz/24bit (FLAC) makes me a believer that the mod is worth (worth, if you have the money/experience) doing:

http://youtu.be/zSif77IVQdY

and

http://youtu.be/g93mz_eZ5N4

I have been going through some medical problems, so I haven't had quite as much time as you think.  I have however listened to multiple Blu-Ray concerts/movies (Saving Private Ryan, Gimme Shelter, Crossroads Guitar Festival 2013, Joe Bonamassa - An Acoustic Evening at the Vienna Opera House (I actually have heard that show Bonamassa show in person), etc).

I think this mod should be left to people like yourself and I, because you can get similar quality gains with changing the opamps.  It is different, but the amount of actual change is about equal.  I would say to anyone not comfortable taking a soldering iron to perfectly good hardware to look into the Opamp Thread.

Not saying anything bad about this mod in terms of sound quality improvement, but the difficulty is at least equal to hardware volt-modding a GPU with a potentiometer due to all the soldering.  Not to mention we are dealing with a gloss PCB on the ZXR, so if you don't have a temperature controlled station, there is a good chance you will ruin the gloss in places (no biggie, but it's just what happens).

If I had to describe the sound you would have to be a guitar player to understand probably, it is basically giving you more of an analog sound like you get from analog guitar effect pedals vs. digital.

Mar 17, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #40 of 272
I can relate to medical issues as I have some well that are very painful & some nights I can't sleep at all due to the pain. Given I drive truck for a living that is not good at all.

On my system at home I have virtually everything modified in like manner & as such performs at a very high level.

Mar 18, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #41 of 272
Germanium did you look at what I changed on the circuit diagram on page 2 that I assumed was an error?  Check the original picture with the one I posted, the green caps, which one is correct.

Original Post Diagram by NoOneLt:

BTW, which ever one is correct, it should be in the OP.

Mar 18, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #42 of 272
Germanium did you look at what I changed on the circuit diagram on page 2 that I assumed was an error?  Check the original picture with the one I posted, the green caps, which one is correct.

Original Post Diagram by NoOneLt:

My diagram:

I assumed he mistakenly used the same green capacitor diagram from above.

BTW, which ever one is correct, it should be in the OP.

Top picture is correct. Looks like you actually did the job. Correctly thought. If it was done incorrectly as in the second picture the power supply would be shorted out & you would have a dead card & possibly dead computer so I would go back & change your picture so others don't mistakenly use it & damage their card or computer.

Mar 18, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #43 of 272
Mine is actually wired up exactly like I have it shown, I guess I'll correct that, lol.

So you are supposed to be using a jumper to whatever pin that is? 5?

In your own picture I don't see that connection made.

Mar 18, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #44 of 272
NCSBZ OSO call me . My number is in a PM I sent you yesterday

Mar 18, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #45 of 272
But look, you can see you didn't make that connection:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back