Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 11, 2023 at 12:49 AM Post #57,421 of 62,661
Are you a midget? 😜

The MTW3's are small in fact many including myself have fit issue with them due to this.

I could not keep my 1st set in my ears even with my own tips, I tried again recently with another pair due to 3rd party wings being available now.

Oct 11, 2023 at 12:57 AM Post #57,422 of 62,661
Are you a midget? 😜

The MTW3's are small in fact many including myself have fit issue with them due to this.

I could not keep my 1st set in my ears even with my own tips, I tried again recently with another pair due to 3rd party wings being available now.
Laughing at this as well as the only negative I've seen about the senny are that they are too small.

Maybe stems work better for harpdoc due to ear shape. I gave an iem to a friend the other day and he can hardly get the tip in. First time I'd inspected someone's ears and boy were they flat and small

Oct 11, 2023 at 1:13 AM Post #57,423 of 62,661
Try HearThrough, not ANC, in the wind. You don't need to be riding a bicycle. It switches to an ANC mode that seems to focus on wind noise in particular. You will hear some ambient sounds, but overall it's more pleasant in the wind than the other two modes.
Yes I did some extended testing during a bike ride and found that hear-through was the mode that worked best, ANC is close though. Normally passive is what you want there but they stick out quite a bit so pick up wind and since they're not a full seal...

They still can't compete with IEM types like the Bomaker SiFi II that are the best I've found on my home traîner with the fan blasting at me and where I need zero awareness.

Oct 11, 2023 at 2:33 AM Post #57,424 of 62,661
I think the Sony xm4 is pretty treble light and can have the bloat eq'd away.

The only one I have experience with is the Nuarl N6 Pro 2 and N6 Pro Mini (not the Mini 2se if you want dark treble).

Very comfy, great isolation (no features really) and after testing along side all my tws and iems these are the ones that helped me understand what a dark sound sounds like.

Scarbir describes them as Natural and neutral which is also true. But dark as well.

Have you heard the Sony LinkBuds S? Curious if those could be called darker or at least smoother up top, or if not if it's something you could tweak with Sony's TWS app (I assume they have a shared app for all of their TWS offerings). They sound quite intriguing otherwise.

Oct 11, 2023 at 3:14 AM Post #57,425 of 62,661
I almost nibbled on the MB, but the Codecs appear to be lacking

Yes or no. "Best" offered is aptx adaptive, which is not bad. I may be the odd one out but codecs never bother me. Besides the fact that I'm an iphone guy, I tried the "better" codecs on my DAPs and others' phones but don't see the point. It may matter much more to Android people but iPhone's AAC implementation (at least to me) is as good as aptx/LDAC with Androids. Few TWS out there got drivers and acoustic designs that can handle the HiRes sort of resolution anyway. Costs aside, there is good reason why AKG N400 is loved with only SBC and AAC offered.

Oct 11, 2023 at 3:50 AM Post #57,426 of 62,661
My SQ-wise no.1 TWS, the Aviot TE-Z1pnk fell onto marble floor and the left piece refused to charge.........too lazy to claim the Japanese warranty and shipping etc. Had gone back to my ZE8000 and HA-FW1000t since. Demoed the Gemini II and the Noble Fokus Prestige lately, not convinced by the incredibly bloated bass and the rather extreme V-shape (not so extreme as the Mystique TBH) respectively.

Long story short, walked into an MB boutique the other day to look at inks (yes my other passion is fountain pen). So you guess, the not-so-much-hyped MTB-03 was sitting there, demo fully charged up and so why not give it a brief listen as I have the time? what can I lose...............

In the end I lost a few bank notes and left happy. No full review as of now, what I can say is, this may be the most hi-fidelity (in its purest sense) TWS I have tried, and I have tried virtually all the upper scale offerings as well as the not so upper scale but much hyped N400. Sound full from the very lowest octave to the top, might be the first time I have heard such full-bodied mids at the same time of receiving superb deep, non-exaggerated bass AS WELL AS proper soaring cymbal crashes out of a TWS (these are just basic requirements for a half-decent IEM but having all of them is such a rarity amongst TWS). Absolutely coherent across the board. The 7mm beryllium driver is truly a delight to behold. The ANC is the extremely submersive type though - with it turned on the sound becomes underwater like (somehow reminds me of the XM4) and is only barely useable at its lowest setting (there are 3 settings in total), BUT I think cos of the small-ish driver there seems to be no external ports (not sure about this one) and as a result the passive isolation is as good as any decent ANC (sure about this one) so I'm happy to leave ANC off unless I'm on a flight or something. Passive isolation definitely good enough for underground commutes. Loud enough to even enjoy classical on trains.

It's priced high enough to deter some, but it costs more or less in the bracket of the Gemini and B&Os here, less than the Pi7 at full retail (tho these are on sale everywhere these days) and way less than the Noble Prestige. To me it's well worth every penny.
Does the gemini 2 and fokus prestige both have too much bass? How would you rate the vocals on these two TWS?

Oct 11, 2023 at 4:07 AM Post #57,427 of 62,661
Does the gemini 2 and fokus prestige both have too much bass? How would you rate the vocals on these two TWS?

I would say the Gemini II got too much bass, the Prestige bass is a tad better contolled. Vocals on both are nothing to write home about, with the Gemini a bit more solid and intimate. Prestige vocals are still suffering from the Noble TWS V-shape tuning (especially male vocal) and sound a bit hollow comparing to the other two, but comparing to the Mystique it is improved a fair bit already.

Oct 11, 2023 at 6:01 AM Post #57,428 of 62,661
I would say the Gemini II got too much bass, the Prestige bass is a tad better contolled. Vocals on both are nothing to write home about, with the Gemini a bit more solid and intimate. Prestige vocals are still suffering from the Noble TWS V-shape tuning (especially male vocal) and sound a bit hollow comparing to the other two, but comparing to the Mystique it is improved a fair bit already.
Thanks for your reply. Comparing all the tws on the market that you have listened to, what tws would you recommend?

Oct 11, 2023 at 7:21 AM Post #57,429 of 62,661
What music do you listen to tho?

Some music is designed to be played out of speakers with big thumping bass that puts ripples on your nipples.

A tws with dialled back bass isn't able to reproduce that type of music properly.

Personally I think the Noble bass could be made bigger, but tighter and deeper.

As long as it doesn't hurt the rest of the mix, I reckon bass can be as big as possible.

Psytrance/electronic listener over here tho.

Oct 11, 2023 at 7:43 AM Post #57,430 of 62,661
Thanks for your reply. Comparing all the tws on the market that you have listened to, what tws would you recommend?

While I'm enjoying my MTB03 now, I still rank the Aviot TE-Z1pnk as the absolute best in the SQ department amongst TWS released up till now in terms of balance, soundstage, bass rumble and high-extension, together with great functionality and very nice ANC. Soundwise the MTB03 is the more natural and relax listen with slightly better coherence (single driver afterall), while the Aviot is more technical and revealing. Both got excellent soundstage for a TWS and impactful yet not distracting bass.

Oct 11, 2023 at 7:59 AM Post #57,431 of 62,661
Regarding bass on TWS. I think it is important to realize, that while many offerings have ANC magic performed through software others such as A&K use only passive noise cancellation. While seal is important, for both ANC and passive, bass actually assists to create a quieter listening environment when using them mobile and in a noisier environment. I think there is a fine line in the tuning between bloated bass and bass with just enough quantity that still offers the listener a quality experience. Bass, IMO, is a crucial part of any wireless gear. Sometimes offerings get it right, other times too much bloated bass which overpowers, and you notice it more when in a quiet environment.

Obviously, there are going to be uses that you would prefer ANC, such as flights, or you aren't listening to music, but for the most part, when listening if you can find the gear that is able to walk the line of quantity and quality it is awesome.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2023 at 8:30 AM Post #57,432 of 62,661
1697027090285.png

Sony gaming TWS

Oct 11, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #57,434 of 62,661
Interesting... the Hear Through mode does cut out the wind after a few seconds if its really blowing! Unfortunately it switches back to normal Hear Through mode as soon as it thinks the wind has stopped which in gusty places like where I live makes for an all over the place experience.

So Jabra can deal with wind! Now they just need to have a dedicated wind mode, or make their algorithm even better and apply it to ANC and Hear Through. If they can fix this, I might have my almighty one TWS to rule them all...

EDIT: OK tried simulating bike wind in the car... (I know I know, that's bad...) but once I had steady wind it was amazingly good at blocking it! Then if I rolled my windows up it went back to Hear Through after 10 - 15 seconds.

They definitely have the technology to address wind! Most windy days this feature will be just fine where I live.

Might not need to buy something else for that use case!

EDIT 2 : if they even just adjust the wind threshold by about 15% so it kicks in with a bit less wind I would happily just use Hear Through in the wind. Damn these are so close to perfection in regard to covering all my use cases.
I too have high hopes for updates. One of reasons I went with these is they have their own SoC and therefore can put out different feature sets than the usual Qualcomm-based stuff. I'm definitely looking forward to custom tunings and BT LE stuff like lc3, seeing how that will affect call quality, etc., and yes, improvements to the existing algorithms as well. In other words, rather than looking forward to shelling out for new TWS I can instead look forward to new stuff for free.

Oct 11, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #57,435 of 62,661
Laughing at this as well as the only negative I've seen about the senny are that they are too small.

Maybe stems work better for harpdoc due to ear shape. I gave an iem to a friend the other day and he can hardly get the tip in. First time I'd inspected someone's ears and boy were they flat and small
I'm going to offer another explanation, they are physically smallish but in the ear, they fit uncomfortably and large. I also had a hard time getting them to fit and they hurt my ears which is pretty unusual for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back