grado ps1- hp2 .... anything bettere around ?
Jan 3, 2012 at 9:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

boodi

Headphoneus Supremus
hello everybody . it's quite a time i don't post eheh. anyhow .. 
my sound quest as for headphones ended some years ago when discovering grado headphones , and eventually steppin up to the hp-2 and ps-1 signatures made it for me , for some good reasons which can be somewhat imagined .

Got some time away from headphones and then lately came back and wearing hp-2 and ps-1 is , still again , the sound experience that make it for me .

is there anything better in the dynamic headphones world which came out lately ( last 2 or 3 years ) ?
I dubt .. anyhow , just asking .. :wink:

cheers , happy new year  to everybody! :)

Jan 3, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #2 of 43
just listening Love Spreads ( The Stone Roses ) with hp-2 , foobar and no amp now , just a good hpline out .. and these things rock and space like pure angels , even without amp ....  ..

Jan 3, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #3 of 43
When you're a Grado fan, nothing else will do.  Like me.
biggrin.gif

Jan 3, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #4 of 43
glad to see someone chiming in
biggrin.gif
happy new year ..
think of it i wasn't even a grado fan , had some nice pairs , nice iem , and some pairs of grado too before  ( 60 80 225 325 rs1 ) but seriously couldn't imagine what and how  properly driven ps-1 could handle and paint ( I still remember the first time i heard some soundstage information , placement and dimension of field  , first time amped ps-1 , .. proper prat on ps-1 with right coupling of amp and cables .. and my eyes got very open for all the listening ..
before there was the hp-2 ..
and then the hp-2 became my "portable" device of preference ..

and anything else fell short of them

Jan 3, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #5 of 43

Quote:
glad to see someone chiming in
biggrin.gif
happy new year ..
think of it i wasn't even a grado fan , had some nice pairs , nice iem , and some pairs of grado too before  ( 60 80 225 325 rs1 ) but seriously couldn't imagine what and how  properly driven ps-1 could handle and paint ( I still remember the first time i heard some soundstage information , placement and dimension of field  , first time amped ps-1 , .. proper prat on ps-1 with right coupling of amp and cables .. and my eyes got very open for all the listening ..
before there was the hp-2 ..
and then the hp-2 became my "portable" device of preference ..

and anything else fell short of them

Hi boodi,

There have been some new dynamic headphones- Grado PS1000; Senn HD800; Ultrasone Edition8; Magnum upgrade for Grado....
Of course you can send your HP-2 to Joe for an upgrade too.
Or, how about doing nothing knowing that you already have the best.
wink.gif

-Paul

Jan 3, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #6 of 43
thanks for the up , paul! just out of curiosity what's your cans of preference lately ( from your can - park , which is a nice one , congratulation .. )

ps yep i was curious and gave a listen to the hd800 , which i found very sennheiser , very staging and very audiophile , but eventually and coming from grados , bit passive and lacking for me in this compartment ( also i don't have the time to fine tune them to right amps and gears -another time- to find out if they can gain enough bite to my pleasure ..

also hd800 can't be plugged on the go ..
tongue_smile.gif
tongue.gif
as some others .. hp-2 for example .......

Jan 3, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #7 of 43

Quote:
thanks for the up , paul! just out of curiosity what's your cans of preference lately ( from your can - park , which is a nice one , congratulation .. )

ps yep i was curious and gave a listen to the hd800 , which i found very sennheiser , very staging and very audiophile , but eventually and coming from grados , bit passive and lacking for me in this compartment ( also i don't have the time to fine tune them to right amps and gears -another time- to find out if they can gain enough bite to my pleasure ..

also hd800 can't be plugged on the go ..
tongue_smile.gif
tongue.gif
as some others .. hp-2 for example .......

I  listen to the upgraded HP1 most of the time now but do like the Magnum very much.

Jan 3, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #9 of 43
Nice to see you back boodi....

I'm in a similar position as I've been very happy with my balanced RS-1's for some time....but I'm just starting to wonder if there's anything out there worth monkeying with.

Other than the phones already mentioned, some new industry players such as Audeze and Hifiman seem to garner a lot of praise these days.

Jan 3, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #10 of 43

Reminds me of a short chat I had with the Sugden Australia concessionaire at the Aussie Hi Fi Show last year,

Somehow we got onto the topic of Grado headphones (may have been my SR80i's dangling from my neck at the time
biggrin.gif
)

Since he travels back to England every now and then for Sugden business affairs, he remarked that back in the UK
 ~ Grado still enjoys a very revered deluxe reputation. As lofty as any other manufacturer and in some Brit' circles
 it's still considered to be the pinnacle of headphone reproduction for sheer enjoyment.

I'd tend to agree just by seeing how some retailers in the UK promote their Grado range, some are beyond fiercely
 proud to offer the product from their outlets. 

Since I occasionally read a French stereo site or two, I can also attest that they enjoy a very strong reputation
 in France too. Seen a lot of serious 2 channel rig guys who call a GS1000 their Head-Fi gear of choice, a
 particular Parisian magazine like 'What HiFi' mag in the UK is almost guaranteed to give any Grado product
 a glowing review.

Jan 3, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #11 of 43
Good to see you again boodi. I think you still have the best. But thanks for checking 
tongue.gif

Jan 4, 2012 at 6:50 AM Post #13 of 43

Quote:
Good to see you again boodi. I think you still have the best. But thanks for checking 
tongue.gif

nice to know ..

if i will have a II pair of hp 2 ( which i might try to search sometime in the future ) i will mod them using the drivers into custom light chassis , change the headband to an elastic one ( or a thing like that ) , to make em portable and light .. i still have some recabled ksc35 and they pale and get sad and shy when i switch to hp-2 , if the difference wasn't so big i would be happy camping with the ksc35 for sound presentation on the go .. but that's not my case..

is it hard to see some hp 1000 / hp 2 used nowadays ? i have the feeling that is somewhat much harder then some years ago.....

and how about ps-1 ? have they lost some likings , on the gs1000/ps500 as for late ?

Jan 4, 2012 at 7:08 AM Post #14 of 43
 by the way i use the hp-2 with modified ps-1 pads ( i've lowered the profile on the front so that the drivers stay in a bit  inclined angle on my ears , not too much but making a sound difference for sure ..

still hear no need for a cable upgrade

Users who are viewing this thread

Back