grado ps1- hp2 .... anything bettere around ?
Jan 4, 2012 at 7:10 AM Post #16 of 43
The Magnum have a more up front presentation and are different from Joe Grado's phones. It is hard to compare and I like them both.
PS1 are almost impossible to find and really expensive these days. I actually don't listen to them much since I prefer my HP1,2.

Jan 4, 2012 at 7:18 AM Post #17 of 43
yes pcf , i remember , i struggled to come by a pair of ps-1 years ago ... and did it in the end .. and these things were not cheap at all  .... the ps-1 sound is heavy ( evil? :D  ) and do it just for some music ( like trance hip hop some r&b etc... or some radiohead ...sometimes their extra glitter springle and bwouaaa rolling deep bottom make it nice to wear them  ) .. anyhow it's a nice pair to have at disposition .. i wouldn't part from them , in no case ..

Jan 4, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #19 of 43
listening now to Metallica Orion ( from 24k ddc gold re-edition Master Of Puppets ) with hp-2 and ps-1 , is undescrivible
in both cases

maybe is just the music
redface.gif

Jan 4, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #21 of 43
I prefer the HP-2s to the PS-1 also, but the PS-1 is still considered great by me and most here, its just impossible to find which is why it doesn't get mentioned much. 

The HP-2s still pop up for sale but not nearly as much as some years ago. 

I'll have to pick up the Orion. I didn't know about that. MOP is one of, if not my favorites from Metallica.

Jan 4, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #22 of 43
Good day Francesco, its been a while indeed, think 2008 or something?, but maybe I am mistaking... 

Anyway, good to see you around again, enjoying the greatest headphones ever made. To me, at least at this point, PS1000 are the best Grado, because John managed to combine many things in one and made it possible for having just one pair of headphones that do a lot of things at high level. Like you mentioned already, PS1 are fantastic, but their use with several genres was pretty limited for my taste. I wrote about this many years ago, especially when their price become simply crazy, which made them a dream headphones for most folks only. Personally, I choose GS1000 over PS1 at some point, which will be not accepted by many, but I dont care, because its still the matter of preferences anyway.
After many years in this hobby, I believe in one thing only and thats synergy. I have heard many headphones, include almost all Grado's, and only few keep their value up to date, some got very expensive, some just still keeping their own place after many years, even with so many new products around, where PS1 and HP1000 are very good example of that for sure.

As for the new headphones that may be interesting to try, I am not sure, because after I tried Koss KSC75 from out of Cary CAD 300sei, my mind just explode and I kind of lost my interest for anything else, however still want to try PS1000 with my Cary one day, cos GS1000 sounds fantastic through it.

Ah, I dont know what the hell I am talking about, guess just glad to see you around again
ksc75smile.gif

Jan 4, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #23 of 43
gs1000.gif
 Glad to see that I'm not the only one that thinks the GS-1000s are fantastic... with the right system. 

Jan 4, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #24 of 43

Quote:
Good day Francesco, its been a while indeed, think 2008 or something?, but maybe I am mistaking... 

Anyway, good to see you around again, enjoying the greatest headphones ever made. To me, at least at this point, PS1000 are the best Grado, because John managed to combine many things in one and made it possible for having just one pair of headphones that do a lot of things at high level. Like you mentioned already, PS1 are fantastic, but their use with several genres was pretty limited for my taste. I wrote about this many years ago, especially when their price become simply crazy, which made them a dream headphones for most folks only. Personally, I choose GS1000 over PS1 at some point, which will be not accepted by many, but I dont care, because its still the matter of preferences anyway.
After many years in this hobby, I believe in one thing only and thats synergy. I have heard many headphones, include almost all Grado's, and only few keep their value up to date, some got very expensive, some just still keeping their own place after many years, even with so many new products around, where PS1 and HP1000 are very good example of that for sure.

As for the new headphones that may be interesting to try, I am not sure, because after I tried Koss KSC75 from out of Cary CAD 300sei, my mind just explode and I kind of lost my interest for anything else, however still want to try PS1000 with my Cary one day, cos GS1000 sounds fantastic true it.

Ah, I dont know what the hell I am talking about, guess just glad to see you around again
ksc75smile.gif

ahahahah

Jan 8, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #27 of 43

Anyway, good to see you around again, enjoying the greatest headphones ever made. To me, at least at this point, PS1000 are the best Grado, because John managed to combine many things in one and made it possible for having just one pair of headphones that do a lot of things at high level. Like you mentioned already, PS1 are fantastic, but their use with several genres was pretty limited for my taste. I wrote about this many years ago, especially when their price become simply crazy, which made them a dream headphones for most folks only. Personally, I choose GS1000 over PS1 at some point,

Quote:
    Anyway, good to see you around again, enjoying the greatest headphones ever made. To me, at least at this point, PS1000 are the best Grado, because John managed to combine many things in one and made it possible for having just one pair of headphones that do a lot of things at high level. Like you mentioned already, PS1 are fantastic, but their use with several genres was pretty limited for my taste. I wrote about this many years ago, especially when their price become simply crazy, which made them a dream headphones for most folks only. Personally, I choose GS1000 over PS1 at some point,

hey blackmore , would you like to elaborate a little ?

what i 've read that ps1000 is bulkier , likely heavy , and therefore somwhat fatiguing , and the gs are not completely neutral therefore not so much hp-2 like .. - soundstage and image matters apart ..

Jan 14, 2012 at 6:10 AM Post #28 of 43
tryin to find a good mp3 ultra portable player ( sound power wise )  for getting back on ears hp-2 while traveling . . any suggestion is welcome . just mp3 with decent volume and power , if there's any that  can do the job out there .

or if there's none power wise ,  a portable dac + amp .

Jan 14, 2012 at 7:34 AM Post #29 of 43

Quote:
tryin to find a good mp3 ultra portable player ( sound power wise )  for getting back on ears hp-2 while traveling . . any suggestion is welcome . just mp3 with decent volume and power , if there's any that  can do the job out there .

or if there's none power wise ,  a portable dac + amp .

Here's my contribution Boodi ~ yet to hear it, same as everyone else, but this thing from iBasso deserves attention

iBasso DX100

Jan 14, 2012 at 8:23 AM Post #30 of 43
I was an LCD-2 owner for about two weeks... I still have my Grados. That should say something.

The magnums though are an evolution of the Grado sonud and will scale as high as you want to when building a headphone with the drivers in them!

In my opinion they are better than the RS-2 for sure, I can't say the RS-1 since I don't own one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back