Headphone Tube Amps - The hunt for all 300B TUBE AMPS
Apr 12, 2024 at 2:59 PM Post #2,806 of 2,843
As requested, lights off and tv off too. Despite how it looks beyond the blinds, it is night time, yet the camera used some funny processing and it looks like it is day time between them. Anyway here it is in its EML mesh glory:

IMG_1498.JPG

And with lights on the EML look barely lit up:

IMG_1490.JPG
Beautiful! Have admired Radu Tarta's creations for quite awhile now.

Apr 12, 2024 at 4:59 PM Post #2,808 of 2,843
The Icon is stunning running NOS WE205Ds. I’m testing out the “maximum thoriated glow” setup, i.e. ER300B-MOs + ER274B rectifier, tomorrow.
I’d ask that the master list of 300B vs non-300B amps be updated to list the Icon Audio HP 205D as a 300B amp. It is primarily a 205D amp but it is compatible with both tube types. See below the Icon in “Elrog” mode.

Attachments

• IMG_0903.jpeg
    IMG_0903.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0904.jpeg
    IMG_0904.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Apr 12, 2024 at 6:54 PM Post #2,809 of 2,843
I’d ask that the master list of 300B vs non-300B amps be updated to list the Icon Audio HP 205D as a 300B amp. It is primarily a 205D amp but it is compatible with both tube types. See below the Icon in “Elrog” mode.

We should also ask them to summarize the last several pages on warranty for new production tubes!

Here’s my take on some of the minutiae discussed this past week in re:

1) Warranty, 5 years is generous yet many people fail to fill out the registration card (an archaic process in this day and age when the invoice should suffice). Also many of these warranties are not transferable,
2) Prices, the market for these tubes have significantly jumped because of we the consumer. Sure costs are going up for manufacturers, and we get screwed as they pass those on to us to they maintain their hefty 50% margins. I may be in the minority, I’m content not experiencing the next great 300B tube as the costs skyrocket disproportionately.
3) Can we please get back to discussing the amps?

Apr 12, 2024 at 7:56 PM Post #2,810 of 2,843
the 300B tubes are integral to the discussion of the amps...no way to avoid it..kind of like discussing amps with the susvara

Apr 12, 2024 at 8:30 PM Post #2,811 of 2,843
the 300B tubes are integral to the discussion of the amps...no way to avoid it..kind of like discussing amps with the susvara
Sure I get that, hence my suggestion to add it to the first page the information about warranties and tube options to consider.
Should we also focus on cables, and power sources too? I figured I was in the minority about it, which is fine, that was my observational share for the group.

Apr 12, 2024 at 8:32 PM Post #2,812 of 2,843
these are 300B amps for crying out loud..there is no avoiding it being a large part of the discussion...cables would be a more generic discussion would it not?..in truth I come to this thread for info on 300B tubes for my envy

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2024 at 11:21 PM Post #2,814 of 2,843
In the near future, I may be selling my Eddie Current Studio B amp bundled with new issue WE300Bs and NOS input tube and rectifier. If interested, ping me.

Apr 13, 2024 at 2:26 AM Post #2,815 of 2,843
these are 300B amps for crying out loud..there is no avoiding it being a large part of the discussion...cables would be a more generic discussion would it not?..in truth I come to this thread for info on 300B tubes for my envy
Was that a bit of a trigger I read??
You enjoy playing the role of the contrarian with at twist of rightesnous. I find it humorous that the use your example and my counter example flys right past your head. Perhaps you had been missing your 300B tubes and are in need of a newFOTM such as the Elrog release.
Please carry on with your snarky comments, I am being polite. If there is a third time there will no longer be any more politeness shown,.
The better question is why are we talking about amps in a 300b thread?
I will assume you are being sarcastic and not being daft that you failed to read the title of the thread; :Headphone Tube Amps - The hunt for all 300B TUBE AMPS"

There is only so much about tubes we can speak when the amps outnumber possible tube options by quite the margin, aff in boutique builders the ratio is quite large. Maybe tube.

Has anyone mentioned the 300B amps build by some Japanese builders such as Air Tight?

Apr 13, 2024 at 2:39 AM Post #2,816 of 2,843
Well. Please stop? Judging on the like count alone and the thread history, people want to talk about amps, tubes and everything 300b related.

Lets keep this thread a happy place.

Apr 13, 2024 at 3:26 PM Post #2,817 of 2,843
Well. Please stop? Judging on the like count alone and the thread history, people want to talk about amps, tubes and everything 300b related.

Lets keep this thread a happy place.
I was being civil and made a suggestion, as I mentioned I was probably in the minority with my suggestion. There is nothing wrong with disagreeing in a forum, it’s part of the discourse.

More of a speaker focused question for anyone, have any of you used your 300B in a speaker set up?
How was your experienc?
Was the amp dual purpose, as in a headphone amp first, speaker amp second, or vice versa?

Apr 13, 2024 at 4:17 PM Post #2,818 of 2,843
I was being civil and made a suggestion, as I mentioned I was probably in the minority with my suggestion. There is nothing wrong with disagreeing in a forum, it’s part of the discourse.

More of a speaker focused question for anyone, have any of you used your 300B in a speaker set up?
How was your experienc?
Was the amp dual purpose, as in a headphone amp first, speaker amp second, or vice versa?
I use speakers (Audio Note AN E SPe HE, circa 95db sensitivity) with Cayin HA300MK2 in a small room, around 16m2. I rarely go above 60% current usage. Very good setup.

Apr 13, 2024 at 4:31 PM Post #2,819 of 2,843
interesting! two solid flavours?
Damn, if it also would be usable as a preamp rather then offering pass through one would have another use case...

Apr 13, 2024 at 10:43 PM Post #2,820 of 2,843
interesting! two solid flavours?
Damn, if it also would be usable as a preamp rather then offering pass through one would have another use case...
Yes, the presentation with the two tube types is different and unfortunately, no pre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back