Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Mar 8, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #7,008 of 12,322
Thanks for posting that video. Never watched it before. Honestly, I've kind of found Tyll to be a little bland, but that and his Beats video have changed my opinion. Maybe he needs to review some of the newer crap out there.

Tyll is a great resource - but you have to take his reviews with a grain of salt if your preferences are different from his.

Don't get me wrong: I've learned a lot from his reviews, but he has a very clear bias when it comes to headphones.

And, while I like more treble than he does, I hate, hate, hate sibilance.

Mar 8, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #7,009 of 12,322
With the cups from DJ1P? It's not possible, the locking mechanism is very different. 

Dj1P has a horseshoe mechanism hile 99C has a classical headphone sleeve mechanism. 

DJ1P has the same mechanism as Pro900, it is different from DJ1 or Sig series. 

I tried nighthawk with metal. Wasn't my cup of tea. Works well with prog and other types, not exactly my thing for death metal or brutal metal. 

No, they're coming out with a new version of the 99 Classics, and are using plastic instead of wood to keep costs down. They'll be $229 instead of $309. I'm not sure how much in Europe, but I'm sure at least 50 Euros cheaper.

Mar 8, 2017 at 3:36 AM Post #7,010 of 12,322
No, they're coming out with a new version of the 99 Classics, and are using plastic instead of wood to keep costs down. They'll be $229 instead of $309. I'm not sure how much in Europe, but I'm sure at least 50 Euros cheaper.

I've seen second hand classics for around $240 so DUNU if it's actually worthy the trade off. Looks interesting though

Mar 8, 2017 at 6:32 AM Post #7,011 of 12,322

I heard the 99 NEO 
biggrin.gif

Totally hope to meet again soon! 
biggrin.gif

About 99Neo, I wasn't sure yet what to tell about them or if it is okay to break the surprise so early 
biggrin.gif

As I said back then, they have a sound that is really good. Shocking good even. After testing so many headphones, it's easy to spot something that sounds interesting. While 99C would be defined by huge potential, 99N would be even better in their stock form, affirming more of that potential (which probably exists within the driver).

This is a questionable note, but making the headphone cups out of plastic has a positive impact of the sound to my ears. While the sound loses the warmth provided by the wood, it gains even more definition to the textures by default, and even better details. 99N needs a different EQ curve and I wasn't able to do it on the spot as I generally take a few hours while EQ-ing equipment and do it with professional tools for this. The thing is, 99N sounded so good by default that they didn't even need me to do so much EQ. The typical resonance Frequency of wood is felt with 99C, but the plastic of 99N provides a shorter resonance span and less incidental waves. 

I've no idea how the cups look on the inside or anything, but the psychoacoustic differences between wood and plastic are well documented and plastic by itself can have a broad array acoustic properties depending on the density and proposed shape. 

All I can say is that 99N sounds even better than 99C to my ears, the sound being faster, solid, but not dry. They are precise but the sound is still fun. The ADSR and textures are even better nuanced and the soundstage felt a tiny bit airier on 99N given that plastic has another absorption level of frequencies, giving a few more reflected waves resulting in an even better soundstage. 99C sounds pretty natural in this aspect, but the new changes only makes things better!

All in all, the idea of 99N costing even less money is good news as well. It is understandable since wood is an expensive material to produce and process, but I think that with the new design, 99N looks really good as well since the black plastic and general design is very attractive, gives 99N a whole design of their own, which feels industrial , grungy, edgy but still classy enough to be used in a business environment. 

99C feels sweeter, smoother, more melodic, but the differences are not very big. I think that a buyer would be happy with either and the design differences and better price are important aspects to look into when making a choice between them.

I apologize to everyone for not having my review on 99C ready yet but we've had quite a lot of work over https://www.facebook.com/seventh.heart.studios/

We have something cool coming out and I am taking care of the OP video and programming so the last few days have been quite busy 
beerchug.gif

Even cheaper than 99C? 
eek.gif

That's gotta be sweet for everyone who wants to get one! I already thought that 99C was a steal for their actual performance! Glad we have great sound at accessible prices! 
beerchug.gif

Mar 8, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #7,013 of 12,322

Nice, very good impressions. I can tell you're a good writer and an excellent reviewer. You've been a huge help to this thread.

Thank you very much! 

I'm glad to help! 

I'll write a more in-depth analysis of 99c soon and of 99N when they emerge on the market! (so it is a production sample rather than prototype for the official review)

@MezeTeam does a great job with their headphones and we should thank them. both 99C and 99N made guitars and drums just so much better for me due to the improved textures. Tiny reverberations in the guitar sound give vividness to notes for those ears. They are close to the 700$ ie800 from senn actually when it comes to textures, and this works well for any type of music, but especially well for metal and rock. 

Mar 8, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #7,015 of 12,322
  I heard about Meze from someone from Poland at Audiomagic. I plan to buy a pair of 99 Classic but the low impedance will not pair properly with my tube amp...

No idea about pairing them with a tube amp. I drive them from FiiO X5ii, X5-3, A custom ESS DAC + AMP build, phone and pretty much everything else. But I don't have tube amps with me right now. Might want to test though, they should sound interesting.

Mar 8, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #7,016 of 12,322
  I heard about Meze from someone from Poland at Audiomagic. I plan to buy a pair of 99 Classic but the low impedance will not pair properly with my tube amp...

If its an OTL amp then no,it wont work well.

Mar 8, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #7,018 of 12,322
  Yes, it is OTL (Littledot MK2) and currently used with Beyerdynamic T1.2 600Ohm.

tube amps have a high output impedance, but so does my matrix mstage (10ohm). I just use an etymotic 100ohm converter with a 6.3mm adapter and it works just fine with any iem or low impedance headphone and eliminates every issue for me

Mar 8, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #7,019 of 12,322
  Yes, it is OTL (Littledot MK2) and currently used with Beyerdynamic T1.2 600Ohm.

tube amps have a high output impedance, but so does my matrix mstage (10ohm). I just use an etymotic 100ohm converter with a 6.3mm adapter and it works just fine with any iem or low impedance headphone and eliminates every issue for me

Aside from electrical concerns, tonal preferences could be an issue. Since the Meze has slightly boosted bass, a warm amp (and I'm the LittleDot Mk2 is warm like most tube amps) might not be a little to warm/bassy. But if you're a basshead, it could be bliss. YMMV.

Mar 8, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #7,020 of 12,322

@MezeTeam does a great job with their headphones and we should thank them. both 99C and 99N made guitars and drums just so much better for me due to the improved textures. Tiny reverberations in the guitar sound give vividness to notes for those ears. They are close to the 700$ ie800 from senn actually when it comes to textures, and this works well for any type of music, but especially well for metal and rock. 

+1, I stopped looking for portable headphones or iems since I got my pair of 99 Classics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back