Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Mar 7, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #6,991 of 12,322
Im not disputing that claim,but how different can the shape of ears be...and how does one know whether they have the "right" shape?

Pretty different, if you account for all the microscopic differences.

How does one know if they have the right shape? You don't, unless you listen to them. It's a byproduct of designing in a vacuum. They think their stuff sounds great. I'm guessing about 3/4 of audiophiles would disagree, but to some people S-Logic sounds amazing.

Mar 7, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #6,992 of 12,322
I think the Ultrasone S-Logic depends more on the relative location of the driver outside the ear. The idea of S-Logic is to place the driver on the back of the ear so it takes into account that you'll place the headphones in such position that the sound will be coming indirectly to the ear canal through small holes around the driver cover.

That is part of it, yes, but the shape of the ear also plays heavily into what you actually hear from it when it is positioned appropriately. I am not sure of the physical feature of the ear that makes it work or not work.

Mar 7, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #6,993 of 12,322
That is part of it, yes, but the shape of the ear also plays heavily into what you actually hear from it when it is positioned appropriately. I am not sure of the physical feature of the ear that makes it work or not work.

Did you get your sextetts yet?
Thoughts?

Mar 7, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #6,994 of 12,322
At this point I've pretty much completely ruled out the 400i in favor of the R70X for it's supposedly more natural sound and forgiving nature. Who knows, maybe symphonic will sound ok even with the lack of soundstage but it definitely seems like a winner for my hardcore punk collection, which I have much more of.

I feel like the r70x should be fairly similar to the night hawk sound with a bit less bass, definitely not something you see everyday. Personally the 3d wing design is very uncomfortable, but it might be different for you

Mar 7, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #6,995 of 12,322
I feel like the r70x should be fairly similar to the night hawk sound with a bit less bass, definitely not something you see everyday. Personally the 3d wing design is very uncomfortable, but it might be different for you
It does look uncomfortable but we'll see. I tried the Nighthawks briefly at CanJam SoCal a couple years back but can't for the life of me remember how they sound. I'll most likely be going to this years CanJam. The Nightowl is calling me, mainly because it looks awesome.

Mar 7, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #6,996 of 12,322
It does look uncomfortable but we'll see. I tried the Nighthawks briefly at CanJam SoCal a couple years back but can't for the life of me remember how they sound. I'll most likely be going to this years CanJam. The Nightowl is calling me, mainly because it looks awesome.

hope you like em, and yeah the nightowl looks cool too. Maybe you should try that one first

Mar 7, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #6,997 of 12,322

They have much better clarity then the nighthawks, the 3D wings are redesigned and more comfortable. Have you heard them or are you speculating?

As far as soundstage I would put them ahead of the 400i, but I have the old version,I have not heard the new version.

Mar 7, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #6,998 of 12,322
I'd get a used E-Mu Teak off of the sale forum. Second choice would be a Fostex TH-X00. Both are newer versions of the aforementioned D5000. Innerfidelity compared all the Fostex variants here: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/survey-foster-443742-variants-subjective-listening-tests-denon-ah-d5000-massdrop-fostex-th#7kzs6644ZCTHMgvl.97

I agree with the aforementioned strategy though. Sort out the headphone first - the Fostex variants will serve your music well and can be driven effectively from a phone.

I meant to mention at the time, but I finally got around to posting it, I'm selling my X00 :) 

Mar 7, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #7,000 of 12,322
Back in my infancy in this hobby I recall trying out a pair of Ultrasones and liking them...My tastes and preferences in headphones have changed a lot since then but this video has always prevented me from trying Ultrasones again.

I wonder how many sales this video has cost them?!?
The price of their earpads does them no favors. Then there's the fact that the earpads themselves are some of the smallest, most shallow on the market. Your ears are almost guaranteed to touch the plate which begins to cause pain and discomfort pretty much immediately. It's the earpad equivalent of Audeze weight complaints.

Mar 7, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #7,001 of 12,322
The price of their earpads does them no favors. Then there's the fact that the earpads themselves are some of the smallest, most shallow on the market. Your ears are almost guaranteed to touch the plate which begins to cause pain and discomfort pretty much immediately. It's the earpad equivalent of Audeze weight complaints.

Agreed. 

Not going to defend a defective product there 
eek.gif

The earpads are some of the worst on the market and I'm amazed at how long I've been using them really. 

The main trick I did was to not let them sweat. The pads on Dj1P are not shallow, if kept in like-new condition. After enough wearing, they get shallow, and not only they become quite uncomfortable, but they sound really bad as well. 

Good thing they included two pads in the box then, no?

Anyways, I'll be getting a HM5 and trying it with DJ1P to see if it fits and how it sounds. 

But yeah, I kinda see the pads depth being the equivalent of Audeze weight complaints 
beerchug.gif

Mar 7, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #7,003 of 12,322
They have much better clarity then the nighthawks, the 3D wings are redesigned and more comfortable. Have you heard them or are you speculating?

As far as soundstage I would put them ahead of the 400i, but I have the old version,I have not heard the new version.
Do you like the Nighthawks with any specific type of metal? I always thought that they'd be too dark in general for it.

Mar 7, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #7,004 of 12,322
Have you heard the new Meze 99 Classics with the cheaper plastic ear cups? I wonder how different they sound.

With the cups from DJ1P? It's not possible, the locking mechanism is very different. 

Dj1P has a horseshoe mechanism hile 99C has a classical headphone sleeve mechanism. 

DJ1P has the same mechanism as Pro900, it is different from DJ1 or Sig series. 

Quote:
Do you like the Nighthawks with any specific type of metal? I always thought that they'd be too dark in general for it.

I tried nighthawk with metal. Wasn't my cup of tea. Works well with prog and other types, not exactly my thing for death metal or brutal metal. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back