Headphones for relaxing listening sessions [1000$]
Apr 13, 2019 at 3:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

heidimilk

Head-Fier
I'm searching for open-back HP's for under 1000$. I've already asked people in my other threads but thought I might as well open a new one.
I want them to be very relaxed sounding (e.g. no Beyer treble-peak, not too analytic) and they should be rather comfortable.
What are your suggestions?

Greetings!

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2019 at 7:14 AM Post #3 of 18
Apr 13, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #4 of 18
Apr 13, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #5 of 18
HD650. If you want a little bit more soundstage depth (more of more coherent along the Z-axis than absolute size), when the earpads wear out try the Brainwavz HM5 angled earpads.
How would you describe their treble and highs?
After reading some reviews I have a feeling they might be too bright/sterile for me.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #6 of 18
Fostex TH500RP. TH500RP has a nice, natural, balanced sound signature, easy on the ears. No harsh high frequencies, warm midrange and decent bass. Soundstage is not the widest i've heard for an open-back headphone but it's still good. Imaging is very good. I've only had mine for about a month now but it's getting better with use, due to burn-in. The TH500RP is the second most comfortable headphone i've ever owned, second only to the first gen $1,900 Astell&Kern T5P.

Apr 13, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #7 of 18
Fostex TH500RP. TH500RP has a nice, natural, balanced sound signature, easy on the ears. No harsh high frequencies, warm midrange and decent bass. Soundstage is not the widest i've heard for an open-back headphone but it's still good. Imaging is very good. I've only had mine for about a month now but it's getting better with use, due to burn-in. The TH500RP is the second most comfortable headphone i've ever owned, second only to the first gen $1,900 Astell&Kern T5P.
The TH500RP is not available here, but I could get the A&K T5P 2nd Gen (looks like the Beyer T1).
Is it any good and does it sound like the Beyerdynamic T1?

Apr 13, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #8 of 18
I have no experience with the T1, so sorry I can't comment on that headphone, but the A&K T5P (I had the first gen version) was a very good, very impressive headphone. The only thing that annoyed me was that it's cable had a 2.5mm balanced connection instead of a 3.5mm one. So I couldn't use it with non Astell&Kern equipment without a special adapter. To me, the A&K T5P had a sound signature that is not dissimilar to Denon AH-D5000 except the bass of T5P is much less dominant and a little bit more accurate/tighter. T5P had immense detail in the treble/high frequencies and very good imaging and exceptional sense of space for a closed-back headphone. It was the lightest most comfortable headphone I ever worn, it just seemed to disappear, leaving only the music. Headphones such as Denon AH-D5000, T5P, T70 and Sony MDR7510 are as good as it gets for closed-back headphones IMO, though i've yet to hear the MDR Z1R, i'm sure that would impress me also.

Apr 13, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #10 of 18
It's safe to ignore people that just barge in and suggest a closed back, opposite of what you want, I'm pretty sure the headphones he mentioned are pretty damn bright, unless underpowered.

That would be the correct nighthawk, not that I know much about it. The weight of the 2C isn't to bad, comfort can be a bit a hit or miss as I mentioned. No real input from me tough as I don't have much experience with a lot of these headphones.

Apr 13, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #11 of 18
The TH500RP is not available here, but I could get the A&K T5P 2nd Gen (looks like the Beyer T1).
Is it any good and does it sound like the Beyerdynamic T1?
I had better say that the Astell&Kern T5P is not an open-back headphone, even though it sounds like one. Overall it has a well balanced, neutral-ish sound signature with full/deep, detailed, powerful, accurate bass, warm detailed midrange, extremely revealing/detailed high frequencies that is crisp, clear and not too bright. To give you an idea,- the T70 250 ohm (which I preferred) is actually much brighter in comparison. Anyways, I only mentioned the T5P to give you an idea of the comfort level of the TH500RP. The Nighhawk would also be a good choice but it's much darker sounding than the TH500RP.

Apr 13, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #12 of 18
ZMF Aeolus (might be slightly above your budget)
Sennheiser HD600 and HD650-clamping can be an issue,so look around on the net for how to bend the headband out a bit.
Mr.Speakers Aeon Flow Open- I havent actually heard the open. The closed back version is very smooth sounding,and ultra comfortable,and brighter(but not Beyer bright) than the others I listed above.

Apr 14, 2019 at 3:12 AM Post #13 of 18
ZMF Aeolus (might be slightly above your budget)
Sennheiser HD600 and HD650-clamping can be an issue,so look around on the net for how to bend the headband out a bit.
Mr.Speakers Aeon Flow Open- I havent actually heard the open. The closed back version is very smooth sounding,and ultra comfortable,and brighter(but not Beyer bright) than the others I listed above.
I watched your review on the Aeolus and think I might just save up some more money to buy them!
I really like the wood cups and the sound signature you are describing.
What wood do you think sounds better, Sapele, Bubinga or Ziricote?
Big problem is taxes, I think I'll have to pay like 200-500$ to import them...
How would the Aeolus compare to the LCD 2C?

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2019 at 7:44 AM Post #14 of 18
How would you describe their treble and highs?
After reading some reviews I have a feeling they might be too bright/sterile for me.

Unless you're confusing the HD600 or HD660S for the HD650 I'm not so sure where to go if that one is still too bright for you, since the LCD-2 wouldn't be any better and anything warmer than those would basically sound like singing with sinusitis to the rest of the world.

Apr 14, 2019 at 7:55 AM Post #15 of 18
Unless you're confusing the HD600 or HD660S for the HD650 I'm not so sure where to go if that one is still too bright for you, since the LCD-2 wouldn't be any better and anything warmer than those would basically sound like singing with sinusitis to the rest of the world.
I guess I'm confusing them.

Will I get this fancy case with it, and is 340.- a fair price for a pair of new ones?
Bildschirmfoto 2019-04-14 um 13.55.08.png

Edit: do you think these are very different from the LCD2C, because then I'll just get both sooner or later?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back