Headphones for relaxing listening sessions [1000$]
Apr 14, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #16 of 18
What wood do you think sounds better, Sapele, Bubinga or Ziricote?

ZMF has said many times that the wood types make a very small difference in sound,and wood types should be chosen based upon which looks the best to you.
I had the Silkwood and Pheasantwood Verite here with me at the same time and can agree that the audible differences were quite small.

Big problem is taxes, I think I'll have to pay like 200-500$ to import them...

I do not know the rules and laws of Switzerland,nor the EU in general,but I do know that ZMF has European dealers in place already. Perhaps buying from one of them might end up being cheaper than buying directly from ZMF. I believe there is a worldwide dealer list on the ZMF website,or you can message @zach915m and ask the man himself.
How would the Aeolus compare to the LCD 2C?

I havent heard the 2C.
I used to own the LCD-2 pre fazer though. The Aeolus and LCD-2pf share a similar warm sound,but the Aeolus has better detail retrieval,better mid bass slam and much,much better mids.
The Audeze had better sub bass extension. I cant comment on other details such as sound stage and imaging as Im going off of memory.

Apr 14, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #17 of 18
If you want something relaxed and engaging, I have two recommendations for you:

1. MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open: one the most comfortable headphones, bring even the Sennheiser HD700 and HD800. The sound is engaging, intimate and inviting. It's easy to get lost listening with them. I wrote a review here about them. You can find it new for US$800, used for about US$600

2. Hifiman Edition X V2: larger soundstage, more neutral than the AFO. This headphone is very relaxing, some tracks can even feel ethereal

Apr 14, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #18 of 18
I guess I'm confusing them.

Will I get this fancy case with it

They all come in that storage box, the only difference is the outer carton. Newer production runs and the Massdrop cans come with a smooth carton with the info printed on them instead of that label in the center.

...and is 340.- a fair price for a pair of new ones?

Check Amazon or other sites because last I checked they're going for $300.

Massdrop HD6XX is also $200 and they're the HD650. They also use the same spare parts.

Edit: do you think these are very different from the LCD2C, because then I'll just get both sooner or later?

LCD-2C doesn't have that weak 4000hz to 8000hz response, and is also stronger below 45hz (ie the drop off point for the bass is a lot lower). Imaging is also better.

Otherwise the first thing you'll notice apart from the weight (HD650 is waaaaaaaaaaaay lighter since it's all plastic; LCD-2C has metal and wood, plus the larger magnet on the planar driver) is how similar they are as they're both stronger below 1000hz than above it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back