Headphones for studio use.
Jul 26, 2011 at 3:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

Keyflo

New Head-Fier
Hey guys im new to this site but not the audio world. Im looking for some good head phones for referecing. So far I own Sony MDR7506, BD DT770, Beats by Dre, Sony MDR V700. But they arent that great for referecing, they are all closed so they sound a little boomy.

So far im looking at ($150 - $250)

Sennheiser HD595
Sennheiser HD555
Beyerdynamic DT990
Beyerdynamic DT880

I don't really know which to buy. I use Mackie MR5s as my main monitors, but I need some good cans to reference in. I will be driving the headphones through a presonus amp so amplification isnt a problem.

Jul 26, 2011 at 4:21 AM Post #3 of 41
What........?

Do you want Headphones for studio work? Balanced and neutral

About the best I can think of are Sony MDR-7509HD

But you want Open cans that are best for Rock

So what do you want? Pro Audio Cans or Audiophile cans

Because it just sounds like you're a Audiophile here.

Jul 26, 2011 at 4:23 AM Post #4 of 41
AKG K271's I think would suit your needs. Quite neutral, a little light on bass, but it's not boomy by any stretch of the word.

EDIT: Oh, just saw you want one that's open. Do you actually want open, or are you just thinking that's the only way to prevent boomy bass? If you want something that's open, I'd imagine the K601's would be good for reference, as they are very flat, though they lack a little extension on the top end.

Jul 26, 2011 at 4:40 AM Post #6 of 41
I don't think those cans you have are boomy because they're closed. They're boomy because they're boomy.
Point of information: 880 is not boomy in the slightest despite it being semi-open, and is for all intents and purposes open--I could hear outside noise with my 880 on just as easily as with my AD300 and MS-1, when I still had the latter 2.

Try checking out the $99 cans by KRK: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/560605/krk-kns-6400-review-impressive-99-giant-killer

Jul 26, 2011 at 4:49 AM Post #7 of 41
Ok thanx for all the suggestions. To clear somethings up, I produce and mix audio so i would like some good cans to reference in. I hear open headphones arw the best because the bass doesnt feel trapped and you dont get the clogged sound effect. I will chech out some of your suggestions.

Jul 26, 2011 at 4:49 AM Post #8 of 41

Quote:
I don't think those cans you have are boomy because they're closed. They're boomy because they're boomy.
Point of information: 880 is not boomy in the slightest despite it being semi-open, and is for all intents and purposes open--I could hear outside noise with my 880 on just as easily as with my AD300 and MS-1, when I still had the latter 2.

Try checking out the $99 cans by KRK: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/560605/krk-kns-6400-review-impressive-99-giant-killer

"boomy"

I'm thinking that's what "impact" is also

So OP needs a very boring headphone then

Apple Earbuds?

Jul 26, 2011 at 6:13 AM Post #10 of 41

Quote:
No I need/want something flat, or nearly flat. No dramatically boostef frequencies.

AKG are the flat-est you can find around your price, but they necenssarily balanced

But I think a neutral balanced can works a lot better.

With a flat can, there is no play with the audio

With a balanced can, there is no play that might intrude upon the music

This can be argued, but I know that people would rather listen to a Balanced can then a flat can because it doesn't add anything to the music but shows it as it should be. 

Jul 26, 2011 at 10:18 AM Post #11 of 41

Quote:
DT880 is out of the question, i want all the way open.

Don't fall for that "semi-open" crap.  They are open, and they might be your best choice--they are really neutral, with a wide soundstage and just the right amount of bass for getting a reference feel.

Jul 26, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #12 of 41
For my studio use, Shure SRH940. Great for checking mixes on, great for their relatively flat response. Now remember NEVER mix on headphones they don't tell you the truth to what you are mixing. So with that said, as you know it is all about translation, how do your mixes translate from your studio monitors to apple ear buds, to Martin Logan speakers, to computer speakers, to car stereos etc. Ideally you want it sounding good on everything you can play it back on. Yes headphones is one of your targets, but headphones lie like a rug, when mixing in relation to translation to other systems. 

Jul 26, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #13 of 41

Quote:
AKG are the flat-est you can find around your price, but they necenssarily balanced

But I think a neutral balanced can works a lot better.

With a flat can, there is no play with the audio

With a balanced can, there is no play that might intrude upon the music

This can be argued, but I know that people would rather listen to a Balanced can then a flat can because it doesn't add anything to the music but shows it as it should be. 

I'm sorry, but I really don't follow what the difference is between flat and balanced. Could you give examples of what you consider flat, and what you consider balanced?

Jul 26, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #14 of 41
The K-702 is the best studio monitor hps... reference hps can be basically any hps...because reference hps are very open to various interpretations, can be a reference to classic music, or to club music, or even a reference to boom box.

Here is more info: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/393139/k702-in-the-studio

Jul 26, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #15 of 41
Quote:Originally Posted by Acix 

"The K-702 is the best studio monitor hps... reference hps can be basically any hps...because reference hps are very open to various interpretations, can be a reference to classic music, or to club music, or even a reference to boom box.
Here is more info: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/393139/k702-in-the-studio"

The thing not mention was what amp or DAC the OP will be using. The K70x is amp dependent. Other headphones mentioned in this thread are also somewhat dependent on an amp but the AKG is particularly picky.

I would also suggest using two different cans for your purposes since no two headphones will be the same. No matter how flat/balanced/neutral they claim to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back