Headphones for studio use.
Jul 26, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #16 of 41

Quote:
Quote:Originally Posted by Acix 

"The K-702 is the best studio monitor hps... reference hps can be basically any hps...because reference hps are very open to various interpretations, can be a reference to classic music, or to club music, or even a reference to boom box.
Here is more info: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/393139/k702-in-the-studio"

The thing not mention was what amp or DAC the OP will be using. The K70x is amp dependent. Other headphones mentioned in this thread are also somewhat dependent on an amp but the AKG is particularly picky.

I would also suggest using two different cans for your purposes since no two headphones will be the same. No matter how flat/balanced/neutral they claim to be.

Well, I'm taking into consideration that to get the best results out of the K-701/Q-701 you'll need a pro studio hps amp, like the Phonitor or the Auditor. But even the Headfive ($160 used) will give you a good studio results with the K702. As DAC I use the Apogee FW Mini DAC, that have a great internal hps amp. As for hps amp I use the Violectric V-100.

Stax 4070 can give you great results in the studio, but is a very expensive system.
K-1000 are also good, but not so much definition under 50hz and above 15-16khz.
K-240MKll are very flat, and great for studio work.

Jul 26, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #18 of 41
the only headphone i know of with one of the flattest frequency response and great for critical listening and monitoring would be the discontinued akg 240DF's. they are one of the best reference studio headphones you can find for recording or just even casual listening. they might seem light on the bass cause they don't give that impact presence like lot of modern studio headphones but they can extend pretty darn low. listening through them while 64ft pipe organ playing was pretty amazing.

other headphones is the beyerdynamic dt48's are really good as well and perfect for monitoring. the sony's mentioned are another great choice. if you have a way i would suggest auditioning if can.

Jul 26, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #20 of 41

Quote:
the only headphone i know of with one of the flattest frequency response and great for critical listening and monitoring would be the discontinued akg 240DF's. they are one of the best reference studio headphones you can find for recording or just even casual listening. they might seem light on the bass cause they don't give that impact presence like lot of modern studio headphones but they can extend pretty darn low. listening through them while 64ft pipe organ playing was pretty amazing.

other headphones is the beyerdynamic dt48's are really good as well and perfect for monitoring. the sony's mentioned are another great choice. if you have a way i would suggest auditioning if can.

Yep... the 240DF are great, the DT48S are even greater. But at critical time in the studio I'm not going to check out my mix on 10 pairs of hps, I just need a good one. I have the Pioneer Monitor 10 that give me the flat FR.

Jul 26, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #21 of 41
Yep... the 240DF are great, the DT48S are even greater. But at critical time in the studio I'm not going to check out my mix on 10 pairs of hps, I just need a good one. I have the Pioneer Monitor 10 that give me the flat FR.

i forgot about the monitor 10's. i heard lot of great things about them . i always wanted to listen to a pair myself but i always forgot about the 10's when i had extra cash on me. this weekend i'm gonna try to get a pair myself if i can cause i am really interested in them.

that graph tho is impressive. shows a flatter response even compared to high costing hd800's. shame lot of the best known studio headphones are no longer in production. they be making a killer on sells if they continued to produce them today.

Jul 26, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #22 of 41

Quote:
i forgot about the monitor 10's. i heard lot of great things about them . i always wanted to listen to a pair myself but i always forgot about the 10's when i had extra cash on me. this weekend i'm gonna try to get a pair myself if i can cause i am really interested in them.

that graph tho is impressive. shows a flatter response even compared to high costing hd800's. shame lot of the best known studio headphones are no longer in production. they be making a killer on sells if they continued to produce them today.

You're right, some of the old monitor hps still hold their magic, especially the K-1000. But I'll not recommend the K-1000 so easy, because they are very expensive ($1200) and they are roll off on both ended compare to the new monitor hps, like the K-702, or the HD-600.

Jul 26, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #23 of 41
Keep in mind that the Pioneer Monitor 10 are long out of production.  They turn up on Ebay occasionally, and haven't seemed to be quite as expensive lately.  They really are special, though, and still sound fantastic.

Jul 26, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #24 of 41
Agreed. For the prices I've seen them go for I think they may be the best bang for the buck headphone out there, soundwise. It's just a shame that they are so heavy and uncomfortable.

Jul 26, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #25 of 41
I have a pair of pads from one of those big Pioneer cans from the same era, and it makes them more comfortable without damaging the sound.  They are easy to recable as well...

Jul 28, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #27 of 41
I am sure the pioneer's are fine headphones.

But......the graph from ?? year old pioneer lit, seems a little funny compared to how headphones are measured today compared to yesteryear. Much less trusting a manufacturer to tell you the response is this or that.

Jul 28, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #28 of 41

Quote:

Making a flat response headphone is not that costly; look at the HD 280 or AKG K240(DF). The HD800 is not designed to be flat; also note that the more expensive the headphone are, the chance that it won't be flat. Expensive headphones are for audiophiles that like 'fun' in their music. Flat does not necessarily mean fun; look at the HD650. Sure, it cost more than the HD600, but it doesn't have a flat response at all. The HD650 has more bass than the cheaper HD 600(which is considered neutral). Another example is the DT 880 and DT 990. The 990 is considered a higher model(due to number and pricing), but does it have a flat frequency response? Not even close.

Also,

Balanced = frequency response with a bit of small hills and dips, but nothing too extreme (or too noticeable.) 
Flat = frequency response as close to ruler-straight(except the treble part). 

Jul 28, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #29 of 41

Quote:
Making a flat response headphone is not that costly; look at the HD 280 or AKG K240(DF). The HD800 is not designed to be flat; also note that the more expensive the headphone are, the chance that it won't be flat. Expensive headphones are for audiophiles that like 'fun' in their music. Flat does not necessarily mean fun; look at the HD650. Sure, it cost more than the HD600, but it doesn't have a flat response at all. The HD650 has more bass than the cheaper HD 600(which is considered neutral). Another example is the DT 880 and DT 990. The 990 is considered a higher model(due to number and pricing), but does it have a flat frequency response? Not even close.

Also,

Balanced = frequency response with a bit of small hills and dips, but nothing too extreme (or too noticeable.) 
Flat = frequency response as close to ruler-straight(except the treble part). 

I have no trouble believing the first underlined section, but the second one seems doubtful. 

We can agree that audiophiles believe they know what a flat sound is, yes? I thought it was the case that many audiophiles also believe they want a flat sound, because then there is (theoretically) no colouration on the music.

Jul 28, 2011 at 6:08 AM Post #30 of 41

Quote:
I am sure the pioneer's are fine headphones.

But......the graph from ?? year old pioneer lit, seems a little funny compared to how headphones are measured today compared to yesteryear. Much less trusting a manufacturer to tell you the response is this or that.

I'm sure you're not listening to the graph.
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back