Headphones with great clarity (Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser...)
Dec 23, 2022 at 3:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

tspmk

New Head-Fier
I'm just starting my adventure with headphones, however, I already have a sound signature I'm looking for. I love great transparency, clarity, separation etc. and also good bass.

I have auditioned several Sennheiser models (HD560S, HD600, HD650, HD660S), Beyerdynamic (DT 880, DT 900 PRO X, DT 1990 PRO, T1 3 gen) and a some Hifiman, Ultrasone, Fostex, AKG.

In short- I really like the sound of the DT 1990 Pro. This is the sound I am looking for but unfortunately listening to them gives me ear fatigue. On balanced pads it is a total disaster - headache, etc. On analytic pads it's better, especially after applying EQ in few places, but it's still not perfect. Listening to HD600 is much more pleasant, there is basically no fatigue or headache at all.

In my opinion, the problem is not treble in DT 1990 Pro, because I applied EQ (I slightly modified the one from oratory1990). IMHO the problem are fast drivers that pump pulsating pressure into the ear and my ears can't really tolerate it. I feel that in HD600 the drivers are slower so listening to them is not so tiring, but they do not have as good clarity as DT 1990...

My question is - are there headphones that will be a hybrid of DT 1990 Pro and HD600? 🙂 That is, they will sound very much like the DT 1990 Pro and will not be ear fatiguing like HD600. Well, and preferably they would be within the budget of DT 1990 Pro.

Dec 23, 2022 at 5:30 AM Post #2 of 30
I don't like where the treble peak is on the DT1990 either, the T90 is much nicer, but the DT880 600 ohm is even better if you have the power for it. I use a Hifiman HE5xx as a daily driver and for me it's a balance of everything, plus light and easy to take on and off during the day. The Sennheiser HD700 with the Modhouse foam kit is probably what you're looking for. If you can find a nice one on eBay, the modhouse kit is just $15. It works well, adding a little bass and shaving the 6khz treble peak just enough that you want to listen all day. Also the HD700 is the most comfortable headphone I've ever worn, wish all of them had the exact same design to the ear cups.

Dec 23, 2022 at 6:09 AM Post #5 of 30
Focal Elex sounds like a more detailed version of the HD650 with superior imaging and soundstage.. But the drivers excursion does cause ear fatigue also.
I was able to tame it with an EQ well enough to prevent fatigue.

Dec 23, 2022 at 6:13 AM Post #6 of 30
I only have a digital integrated amp I'm listening from. I tried listening to it from my laptop - the sound was slightly muddier but ear fatigue remained.
There is a Custom Cans mod that will give the 600 more clarity and tighter bass. It's very easy to do and totally reversible.

Dec 23, 2022 at 6:22 AM Post #8 of 30
OK, that's interesting. Is there a digital EQ version of this mod?
Not that I'm aware of.
Have you tried finding the the Frequency range that's causing the fatigue and dropping it few db?
Like 40 to 100 hz range.

Dec 25, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #9 of 30
Not that I'm aware of.
Have you tried finding the the Frequency range that's causing the fatigue and dropping it few db?
Like 40 to 100 hz range.
I have implemented a different approach - messed up HD600 :D

I took Oratory1990 preset and changed filter 10 to have +1db instead off -4db and boom! Sennheiser veil is off here comes clarity! ...and ear fatigue as well... at least now I know what is causing this.

Dec 25, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #10 of 30
If you drive the HD 600 from a laptop it is going to be shrill due to lack of bass caused by insufficient drive.

Get a good amp, like @Davidzak64 said... preferably tube OTL. It will do wonders for the DT 1990/1770 and HD 600/650/6XX.

Dec 25, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #12 of 30
I'm not. I'm driving these from a digital amplifier.
Sorry, missed that.

What is a digital amplifier, and which one is it?

Dec 25, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #14 of 30
I didn't see any specifications for the headphone output. Generally, the headphone outputs on receivers and integrated amps made since the 1980s are an afterthought and not very good. It seems the jack is 3,5mm which also suggests they're not expecting people to try to run high impedance dynamics (Sennheiser/Beyer etc.) from it.

I think a dedicated headamp would do wonders.

Dec 25, 2022 at 11:29 PM Post #15 of 30
Actually I asked Lyngdorf directly and they replied that the headphone output stage can drive headphones with an impedance of 16-600 ohm without problems.

I will try to audition the beyers at a store on a solid state HP amp but I don't expect it to perform much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back