Headphones with great clarity (Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser...)
Dec 26, 2022 at 7:49 AM Post #16 of 30
Actually I asked Lyngdorf directly and they replied that the headphone output stage can drive headphones with an impedance of 16-600 ohm without problems.

This is a standard answer from pretty much every company, which is true and correct about 0% of the time.

I will try to audition the beyers at a store on a solid state HP amp but I don't expect it to perform much better.

I expect your expectations will be unexpected. And I say that after driving a pair of DT 1770s off a crapamp and then running them on the 2nd gain position of Atrox V2. Totally different headphone.

Dec 26, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #17 of 30
Actually I asked Lyngdorf directly and they replied that the headphone output stage can drive headphones with an impedance of 16-600 ohm without problems.

I will try to audition the beyers at a store on a solid state HP amp but I don't expect it to perform much better.

I did a little research and the Monster amplification you using should be plenty sufficient enough to drive both your 250 ohm headphones. I think the dac in your receiver is the weak link. If you have a cd/dvd/ player try going directly into an analog input or better yet cd direct. The dac in the receiver will be bypassed and also the receiver preamp which could also be the bass culprit. Then do a proper comparison between the receiver dac vs CD dac. This should tell you where the issue lies.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2022 at 9:53 AM Post #18 of 30
While not being an ideal fix, you can also run analog out from you computer to a cd direct input of the receiver also and get similar results bypassing the receiver's preamp and Dac. Process of elimination is good practice. 😁

Dec 26, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #20 of 30
I expect your expectations will be unexpected. And I say that after driving a pair of DT 1770s off a crapamp and then running them on the 2nd gain position of Atrox V2. Totally different headphone.
I sure wish I owned this crap amp! 🤔😉 I'm sure this thing can compete with almost any headphone amp admirably with higher impedance Cans. With the right resistor in line with the headphone jack it should drive higher impedance headphones without even sweating. For that kind of money, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have skimped out on the headphone section.

Screenshot_20221226-103306_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20221226-103327_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #21 of 30
I sure wish I owned this crap amp! 🤔😉 I'm sure this thing can compete with almost any headphone amp admirably with higher impedance Cans. With the right resistor in line with the headphone jack it should drive higher impedance headphones without even sweating. For that kind of money, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have skimped out on the headphone section.

Screenshot_20221226-103306_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20221226-103327_Chrome.jpg
There are no specs on the headamp and so far we have not seen any high power receiver, even multichannel monsters with a decent head-out.

I didn't call his device a crapamp, please read carefully.

Dec 26, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #22 of 30
There are no specs on the headamp and so far we have not seen any high power receiver, even multichannel monsters with a decent head-out.

I didn't call his device a crapamp, please read carefully.
My apology. I read it wrong. His receiver most likely has a resistor in line HP out and has Monster power output judging by the spec's I'm reading. I think it deserves a chance and has a lot of potential.

Dec 26, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #24 of 30
@Davidzak64 I can see you've got AKG K702. I borrowed these from my brother the other night and they also gave me ear fatigue. How do you like them? I think that in terms of airiness they are quite similar to DT1990, just a little thinner in the bass region.

Dec 26, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #25 of 30
@Davidzak64 I can see you've got AKG K702. I borrowed these from my brother the other night and they also gave me ear fatigue. How do you like them? I think that in terms of airiness they are quite similar to DT1990, just a little thinner in the bass region.
I do like them. The soundstage is a little too open for some music but over all are an excellent hp for the price. I have no fatigue when listening to them.
They should be quite a bit thinner in the Bass region. If the ear fatigue was from the bass on the K702 then I would say your chain or source is causing it. Did you try Bypassing the dac and preamp for kicks?

Dec 30, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #30 of 30
I tried Anaxilus mod with my HD700. I made it using 2mm thick felt as this is how Mod House makes it I believe.

I don't really like how it sounds with the mod. I feel there is more sub-bass and overall sound is a little muffled. I prefer the sound without the mod, it is way more energetic and lively sounding to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back