Help! Shure 215 or 535??
Mar 11, 2019 at 12:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

nines

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I have the Shure SE215 and this is my one and only IEM. Never knew anything about IEM and how awesome they sound compared to regular earphones. I like my SE215 and they sound amazing (considering these are my first). My question is; should I buy the SE535 or not? I saw that this question has been asked here, but it has been asked professionally, that is why other posts don't really answer me question.

Please note that I like quality audio, but I am no sound engineer and I really do not understand anything about sound waves, analog, etc. I don't even know what the numbers on equalizers mean, i just use the sliders till i feel comfortable with the sound. :D
I just like high quality/clear audio. I mainly listen to music and that's it. Metal, hip hop, pop..a mix of genres. As a normal user, the SE215 does sound great for me and I don't know if my ears would hear something better than this, will I really notice the difference between the SE215 and SE535? or the difference would only be noticeable to audio professionals and engineers and I won't notice any difference? I am asking this because the price isn't cheap and I don't want to own two pairs of IEMs that sound the same for me.

I'd really appreciate all your answers! :)

Mar 11, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #2 of 17
Hello,

I have the Shure SE215 and this is my one and only IEM. Never knew anything about IEM and how awesome they sound compared to regular earphones. I like my SE215 and they sound amazing (considering these are my first). My question is; should I buy the SE535 or not? I saw that this question has been asked here, but it has been asked professionally, that is why other posts don't really answer me question.

Please note that I like quality audio, but I am no sound engineer and I really do not understand anything about sound waves, analog, etc. I don't even know what the numbers on equalizers mean, i just use the sliders till i feel comfortable with the sound. :D
I just like high quality/clear audio. I mainly listen to music and that's it. Metal, hip hop, pop..a mix of genres. As a normal user, the SE215 does sound great for me and I don't know if my ears would hear something better than this, will I really notice the difference between the SE215 and SE535? or the difference would only be noticeable to audio professionals and engineers and I won't notice any difference? I am asking this because the price isn't cheap and I don't want to own two pairs of IEMs that sound the same for me.

I'd really appreciate all your answers! :)

Consider that IEMs are like the interpretation of the audio engineer of how he wants to interpret the music.
so the challenge is to find out what kind of representation you like, and then find the IEM that matches that.
Take a look at this description of the different Shure models:
https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/shure-ear-series-se215-se315-se425-and-se535-page-2

But there are hundreds of IEMs and you can only really judge them by listening to them.
and then consider your source - a most phones sounds just so-so, and a dedicated DAC/Amp or DAP will boost sound quality as well!

Welcome to the unlimited upgrade paths of the Hifi world LOL

Mar 11, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #3 of 17
Consider that IEMs are like the interpretation of the audio engineer of how he wants to interpret the music.
so the challenge is to find out what kind of representation you like, and then find the IEM that matches that.
Take a look at this description of the different Shure models:
https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/shure-ear-series-se215-se315-se425-and-se535-page-2

But there are hundreds of IEMs and you can only really judge them by listening to them.
and then consider your source - a most phones sounds just so-so, and a dedicated DAC/Amp or DAP will boost sound quality as well!

Welcome to the unlimited upgrade paths of the Hifi world LOL

Lol! :D Thank you for info. It says that they both sound great, I'm still confused between them, will I notice huge difference between them or should I just stick to my SE215?

Mar 12, 2019 at 2:52 AM Post #4 of 17
Lol! :D Thank you for info. It says that they both sound great, I'm still confused between them, will I notice huge difference between them or should I just stick to my SE215?

Based on that article and the frequency response the SE535 will sound very different from the SE215, and only you can tell if different is better for you.
If money is no big issue, go for it, or look for a used pair.
Most people her are constantly on the lookout for the next better IEM or next better deal, which is kind of dangerous... I bought the Moondrop Kanas
Pro, first IEM that really impressed me, and shortly after bought 2 more (SONY EX800ST and JVC HA-FD02) in the same price range, hoping for even better sound. I’ll get them next week, and I really hope I can stop spending money after those.

But for you maybe staying with Shure is a good way to limit spending, they have a good reputation, many different sound signatures and are easy to sell second hand. So why not, go for the 535 and sell it if you don’t like it!

Mar 12, 2019 at 6:38 AM Post #5 of 17
I always find SE535 is an adequate upgrade for SE215. Have you audition before?

Mar 12, 2019 at 7:45 PM Post #7 of 17
audition? like..audition? od voiceovers and something like that? nope, I'm just an everyday user
As in have you try SE535 before? Sorry for the misleading choice of words.

Mar 12, 2019 at 8:22 PM Post #9 of 17
go straight to 846, be done with this nonsense

Mar 12, 2019 at 9:21 PM Post #11 of 17
It is risky to invest such amount of money without any trying :confused: buy from buyer that you can return it if you do not like the sound to reduce the risk maybe?

Mar 13, 2019 at 12:58 AM Post #12 of 17
Hi @nines,

As @yong_shun stated, it is always safer to demo, especially if you can't return something which is how 90 % + of the world operates but I digress...
As to upgrading your SE 215 to SE 535 depends on you.
Personally & subjectively, SE 535 is a very incremental upgrade & honestly, you're not going to notice much difference in sound quality.

I would suggest going for something in a similar price range or maybe less as more often than not, in this past time, price doesn't usually mean better sound quality.
That has to do with your Source more than anything else as well as Source Synergy, Source Quality & how well Source is recorded by Artist.
Also, at least with a lower cost IEM, if you find you don't really enjoy or like it as much for whatever reason, it doesn't hurt your wallet as much, so to speak.

Some IEMs to consider in no particular order are as follows :

iBasso IT 01
iBasso IT 01s
Meze 12 Classics
Mackie MP 240
Periodic Audio Be
Audio Technica E 70
Campfire Audio Comet

Hope you have a great day !

Mar 13, 2019 at 6:38 AM Post #13 of 17
@PaganDL mentioned a few models that are really affordable upgrade.

iBasso IT 01
I like the thick texture of this IEM. The build is good and it would not burn your pocket with its price.

Campfire Audio Comet
This is my all time favorite! Slightly darker as compared to Shure SE215.

iBasso IT 01s
As compared to IT01, IT01s is brighter. Personally I prefer IT01 because I find the S version is a little bit grainy.

Mar 14, 2019 at 6:09 AM Post #14 of 17
Nice observations on the 3 recommendations, @yong_shun,

I would add both the Comet & IT 01s have a certain smoothness to whatever one listens to though this will also depend on source quality, source recording & DAP.

While likely biased as I don't own the Comet yet for various reasons, since @nines leans towards music which has bass impact, either IT 01 or IT 01s may be closer to what he is looking for.
This is subjective & personal but that grainy sound you hear may be your source, @yong_shun, though this is not necessarily a bad thing, it just is.
Have you tried IT 01s with anything else aside from your G 6 or Opus 3.
As I haven't heard either phone or DAP, can't say whether they are adding grain.

Keep up the good work !

Hope you have a great day !

Mar 14, 2019 at 7:39 AM Post #15 of 17
This is subjective & personal but that grainy sound you hear may be your source, @yong_shun, though this is not necessarily a bad thing, it just is.
Have you tried IT 01s with anything else aside from your G 6 or Opus 3.
This is possible! I will head down again to try with other sources! Thanks for the insight! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back