HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
Jan 7, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #826 of 6,628
OMG!

The Aluminum & SS units are sold out! Only option is for Bundles.

@Joe Bloggs will you be releasing anymore units for Indiegogo ?
I don't really like the blue case, nor need another set of earbuds. And, it looks like you'll break the $150,000 mark and free case is part of the deal....

BTW, I've only been reluctant to buy because I don't want to support Indiegogo. The botched Geek Wave and ADEL campaigns had me sworn off supporting crowdfunding. This Player is the only reason I'd consider doing business there. Please release some more units (especially SS)!

Jan 7, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #827 of 6,628
Correct. Not interested in creating a stack!
If the R6 by itself sounds smooth and warm, even if not "tubey" - I will be very happy with it...

As I'm hearing it, R6 by itself doesn't sound smooth and warm. But you have access to a very powerful collection of MageSound 8-ball DSP effects that can shape your sound to be smooth and warm. Those effects are not a gimmick, it's a real deal.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #828 of 6,628
OMG!

The Aluminum & SS units are sold out! Only option is for Bundles.

@Joe Bloggs will you be releasing anymore units for Indiegogo ?
I don't really like the blue case, nor need another set of earbuds. And, it looks like you'll break the $150,000 mark and free case is part of the deal....

BTW, I've only been reluctant to buy because I don't want to support Indiegogo. The botched Geek Wave and ADEL campaigns had me sworn off supporting crowdfunding. This Player is the only reason I'd consider doing business there. Please release some more units (especially SS)!

I'd jump on it now, there's some available.

Jan 7, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #830 of 6,628
@Joe Bloggs Thanks for putting more units up!

What are the chances of the leather case in your promo shots being produced for special order after the Indiegogo campaign ends ?
1515383686416783736596.png

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2018 at 1:02 AM Post #831 of 6,628
As I'm hearing it, R6 by itself doesn't sound smooth and warm. But you have access to a very powerful collection of MageSound 8-ball DSP effects that can shape your sound to be smooth and warm. Those effects are not a gimmick, it's a real deal.
twister6 - thanks for that reply. I understand the sound signature out-of-the-box is NOT what I am looking for, but can be tweaked (using MageSound 8-ball DSP gizmo) to be just that... Interesting!!
Now the dilemma is between the black aluminum, and the stainless steel... I prefer black color in general, and wonder if the SS is worth the extra $50 (and weight)... hmmmm..... :thinking:

Jan 8, 2018 at 1:37 AM Post #832 of 6,628
I keep reading MageSound 8-ball as "Magic 8-ball". :ksc75smile:

Jan 8, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #835 of 6,628
Hi all,

The target 150000 universal perk for the R6 is a silicone case pictured in the Updates section.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/...anced-android-hi-fi-player-music#/updates/all

The other promotional picture you guys mentioned was shot early in this campaign and the pictured leather case is a prop from some other company. I don't know if it fits the R6 but am pretty sure it doesn't allow access to screen and buttons :sweat_smile:

Cheers!
--Joe

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 8, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #836 of 6,628
Now, I don't know if this is news to any of you, but you can meet us at CES on Jan 9 to 12 at South Plaza 63911, Las Vegas Convention Center :ksc75smile:
https://www.facebook.com/events/648895045234136/
1920X1005FACEBOOK广告-3.png

If you look for us on the CES guide map you'd find us under the name "Dongguan Smartaction Technology". It's complicated :sweat_smile:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 8, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #837 of 6,628
@twister6 and @Currawong (and whoever else might have a review unit):
Any impressions of the black aluminum build quality / scratch-resistance / etc.? I suspect no one can really compare SS to aluminum (other than @Joe Bloggs himself...).

I am leaning towards the black aluminum (due to weight and me liking black vs. silver in general). Saving $50 is obviously nice, too.
Any thoughts? If the SS is way better (build quality and/or being resistant to scratches, feeling much better in the hand, etc.) - I will splurge the extra $50 for it... I am NOT going to put it in a case (I almost never do for DAPs...).

Thanks!

Jan 8, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #838 of 6,628
From Headfonia Review said:
TREBLE (page 3)
This is the only part that I found the R6 somewhat lacking in. The air, extension and definition of highs are not very revealing or transparent. The player simply is not very resolving in this regard. To me this is not a life or death issue but for the people who love flat, reference and open sound will not like this trait. I personally think that there should be more treble overall to assist the good level of quality of the bass & mids.

This character results in a warm, dark and musical way but because I think the R6 is a great DAP in terms of the other parts of the spectrum, hearing this kind of absence from highs is a little disappointing. Th treble resolution is not at a very high level either. You will need a bright IEM/Headphone for this, but it will make the R6 excellent. Or, you can rake up the DSP settings and EQ to match the sound to your liking. Since the player has an immense amount of options in that regard, you won’t have a big problem generating your own sound.

Hi guys with R6 on hand. I wonder if you have same opinion about lacking air, openness, extension and definition of highs as same as the review? The review in the end compares against Sony ZX2 that reveals more highs in this regard. I don't think R6's EQ will help much, I guess it's by design, or limitation of its DAC chip?? Can this characteristic of R6 be improved by Hiby, eg. kernel tuning, driver tuning?

hi Joe, I'd love to hear your opinion on this as well. BTW, i'm on the fence to back the project. Leather case ran out, is it possible to add more?

Jan 8, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #839 of 6,628
@twister6 and @Currawong (and whoever else might have a review unit):
Any impressions of the black aluminum build quality / scratch-resistance / etc.? I suspect no one can really compare SS to aluminum (other than @Joe Bloggs himself...).

I am leaning towards the black aluminum (due to weight and me liking black vs. silver in general). Saving $50 is obviously nice, too.
Any thoughts? If the SS is way better (build quality and/or being resistant to scratches, feeling much better in the hand, etc.) - I will splurge the extra $50 for it... I am NOT going to put it in a case (I almost never do for DAPs...).

Thanks!

Build quality is solid. Feels very durable and balanced in my hand. No chassis flex or buttons rattling. I have been using it either with silicone case or leather case (the pleather case is actually nice). It's definitely not cheaply built, haven't noticed any scratches while handling outside of the case. Someone else I talked to who has SS version, mentioned to me that SS chassis feel very solid, like WM1Z type of solid. If you are planning to keep it in the case, I guess doesn't matter, the weight could be a deciding factor.

Personally, I already suggested this to Joe, I would have loved to see an optional clear TPU case like in the latest x5iii and x7ii. I don't want to hide R6, but I do want to protect it from scratches and to protect my surfaces at home. Plus, case always enhances the grip and adds friction when placed on the glass or the granite top.

Jan 8, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #840 of 6,628
Build quality is solid. Feels very durable and balanced in my hand. No chassis flex or buttons rattling. I have been using it either with silicone case or leather case (the pleather case is actually nice). It's definitely not cheaply built, haven't noticed any scratches while handling outside of the case. Someone else I talked to who has SS version, mentioned to me that SS chassis feel very solid, like WM1Z type of solid. If you are planning to keep it in the case, I guess doesn't matter, the weight could be a deciding factor.

Personally, I already suggested this to Joe, I would have loved to see an optional clear TPU case like in the latest x5iii and x7ii. I don't want to hide R6, but I do want to protect it from scratches and to protect my surfaces at home. Plus, case always enhances the grip and adds friction when placed on the glass or the granite top.
Thanks @twister6 - very helpful. I agree that DAPs that look great (X5III and R6) should be displayed, rather than hidden by a case :wink:

I will wait for @Currawong to provide his take on this subject, and hopefully @Joe Bloggs would chime in, too. After all - he's the only person that can comment on comparing the 2 (Aluminum vs. SS)... and hopefully, Joe would reply before the end of the campaign (I know he's busy in Sin City).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back