HiBy RS6 Android DAP - Snapdragon 660, 4+64GB, 5” full HD, Darwin R2R, FIR, NOS, MQA 16x, copper chassis
Sep 13, 2023 at 9:31 AM Post #3,046 of 3,181
Sandal Audio had actually written about what you just ask in his RS8 review, here is the translated review.
https://sandalaudio-blogspot-com.tr...l=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp
Hey thanks a lot Lucas, very interesting read, this review is extremely informative, not just full of praise and empty words. The RS8 DAC section is clearly higher level technically but it seems like the RS6 DAC produces great sound also even at half the number of resistors.

Sep 13, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #3,047 of 3,181
Hey thanks a lot Lucas, very interesting read, this review is extremely informative, not just full of praise and empty words. The RS8 DAC section is clearly higher level technically but it seems like the RS6 DAC produces great sound also even at half the number of resistors.
You are welcome! I got RS6 and also thinking about upgrading to RS8 or not…

I love the portability of RS6 but wonder how much an upgrade it will be…

Sep 13, 2023 at 12:21 PM Post #3,048 of 3,181
I usually have tastes like what you both describe. Interesting, have you compared both using line out to an external amp, desktop or portable? I'm curious to know if the main factor in your love of the RS6 is coming more from the DAC section itself or the amp. I would assume the DAC of the RS6 and RS8 are probably very close in performance, it's probably the amp that makes the RS8 more resolving, refined and at the same time more analytical. of the RS4
Not yet but I am planning on getting a Cayin C9

Sep 13, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #3,049 of 3,181
I enjoy RS6 with IEM's but have an XDuoo XD05 Bal2 incoming to use with over ear headphones, especially harder to drive planars. My question is how best to connect the RS6 as a digital transport to XD05 Bal2, whose rear panel connections are shown below. Would I use the RS6's L.O. or Bal. L.O., and into which input of the XD05 Bal2?

Alternatively, is it possible / best to connect USB out from RS6 to USB in on the XD05 Bal2 if the RS6 will see the XD05 Bal2 as an outboard DAC and just feed it the signal?

Clearly I need guidance from those more knowledgeable than I. :thinking: Thanks for any advice / recommendations!

XDuoo XD05 BAL2 Connections.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2023 at 10:28 PM Post #3,050 of 3,181
I enjoy RS6 with IEM's but have an XDuoo XD05 Bal2 incoming to use with over ear headphones, especially harder to drive planars. My question is how best to connect the RS6 as a digital transport to XD05 Bal2, whose rear panel connections are shown below. Would I use the RS6's L.O. or Bal. L.O., and into which input of the XD05 Bal2?

Alternatively, is it possible / best to connect USB out from RS6 to USB in on the XD05 Bal2 if the RS6 will see the XD05 Bal2 as an outboard DAC and just feed it the signal?

Clearly I need guidance from those more knowledgeable than I. :thinking: Thanks for any advice / recommendations!

If you use line out of RS6, it will be analog out and it will only use the amp section of Bal2. There is no balanced input on Bal2, so you can't use the balanced line out of RS6.

These are the options to use RS6 as digital transport.
1. RS6 USB out to Bal2 USB in
2. RS6 coaxial out to Bal2 coaxial in (RS6 comes with a USB coaxial cable, you need buy a 3.5mm coaxial adapter though)
3. Bluetooth

Coaxial is the way to go IMO.

Sep 13, 2023 at 10:56 PM Post #3,051 of 3,181
Sep 14, 2023 at 12:18 AM Post #3,052 of 3,181
If you use line out of RS6, it will be analog out and it will only use the amp section of Bal2. There is no balanced input on Bal2, so you can't use the balanced line out of RS6.

These are the options to use RS6 as digital transport.
1. RS6 USB out to Bal2 USB in
2. RS6 coaxial out to Bal2 coaxial in (RS6 comes with a USB coaxial cable, you need buy a 3.5mm coaxial adapter though)
3. Bluetooth

Coaxial is the way to go IMO.
Appreciated! Looked in RS6 manual for specifications on USB / coaxial out, perhaps I'm being dense but couldn't find them. Does it allow all sample rates and DSD output, or are there restrictions? I assume it bypasses the RS6 amp. and is just pure digital transport, correct?

Thank you, @dsrk, and also @rmkjr for the pointer to correct cable to use.

Sep 14, 2023 at 7:52 AM Post #3,053 of 3,181
Appreciated! Looked in RS6 manual for specifications on USB / coaxial out, perhaps I'm being dense but couldn't find them. Does it allow all sample rates and DSD output, or are there restrictions? I assume it bypasses the RS6 amp. and is just pure digital transport, correct?
I am not sure, Hiby or anyone who are actually using coaxial output can confirm that. Yes, it bypasses the amp and is pure digital transport.
Thank you, @dsrk, and also @rmkjr for the pointer to correct cable to use.
No problem.

Sep 23, 2023 at 1:34 AM Post #3,058 of 3,181
@Joe Bloggs or others, I am connecting my HiBy RS6 DAP's coaxial output to the xDuoo XD05 Bal 2 coaxial input to drive full-sized headphones with more power than RS6 can deliver natively. I believe this is the best connection method to use RS6 as a high quality digital transport. However, RS6 volume control is disabled in this scenario and I can't set XD05 Bal 2 volume beyond "1" (turbo off) and even that can be loud with certain albums. Is there any way to decrease RS6 output when connected via coax. to allow more range on the XDF05 volume pot.? Suggestions welcomed!

Sep 23, 2023 at 4:12 AM Post #3,059 of 3,181
@Joe Bloggs or others, I am connecting my HiBy RS6 DAP's coaxial output to the xDuoo XD05 Bal 2 coaxial input to drive full-sized headphones with more power than RS6 can deliver natively. I believe this is the best connection method to use RS6 as a high quality digital transport. However, RS6 volume control is disabled in this scenario and I can't set XD05 Bal 2 volume beyond "1" (turbo off) and even that can be loud with certain albums. Is there any way to decrease RS6 output when connected via coax. to allow more range on the XDF05 volume pot.? Suggestions welcomed!
It's not possible to adjust the volume on RS6 when line out/digital output is enabled. If you are using the coaxial out on RS6, then it is just a transport and you are using the DAC/AMP of the XD05 Bal2. If you use line out, then you use the DAC on RS6 and AMP on the Bal2.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2023 at 6:33 AM Post #3,060 of 3,181
I mean there's the gain slider on certain system plugins like the DRX10K... (if you set the bass mids and treble sliders on that one to zero it becomes a straight wire with gain)

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back